Author Topic: Learning new things everytime  (Read 1221 times)

ItsmeitsmeitsJSG

Learning new things everytime
« on: Feb 06, 2018, 10:33 AM »
Hit my favorite 2 line lake up for a second time, caught three yellow perch  but decided to leave all the good fish for you guys to catch this weekend (you're welcome)

I think I'm in a good spot, both times I've gone out (I have the cheap plastic tip ups with a trip bar, smelt, shiners and salmon eggs on size 6,8,10 hooks.) I've walked up and the trip bar is spinning like crazy. I remove the tip up while spooling some line out so he doesnt feel me then I either wait for a second run or if he's pulling I'll put the brakes on him. This strategy has not worked so far as I keep pulling the bait right out of his mouth. The second time this happened he even made another run after I thought I had the hook set.  Perch are cool and all but I want a trout, I dont even care what kind.   Also learned the importance of using extra tie downs on the pop up in the wind the hard way. Im not doing the derby this year and I'm doing a sebego trip the weekend after but then I'll be back with a vengeance

Offline zwiggles

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Learning new things everytime
« Reply #1 on: Feb 06, 2018, 11:13 AM »
What kind of hooks, and how are you hooking the smelt?

I don’t like to take the trap out until I’m ready to set the hook. If you have polar tip ups leave it in the hole, and let it run until you are ready to set the hook. I prefer to try and get them while they are running, and with smelt especially I want to get them on the second run after they have swallowed the bait.

Offline zwiggles

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 06, 2018, 11:17 AM »
Also if you miss them (I’m assuming your after rainbows), bring the bait back in and if the smelt is still in drop him back down the hole until you rebait. Trout will come back and hit the dead/disabled bait.

Offline Brownbagger247

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 06, 2018, 09:36 PM »
Man I saw you out there again and give you props. Saturday was windy even in my shack. You put in a long day with a far haul out there. Keep trying when you get one there it will be worth it!
How's the ice they all ask? "I’ll tell you what, you can get a good look at a t-bone by sticking your head up a bull’s butt, but I’d rather take the butcher’s word for it."

Offline Teamrustyhook

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 07, 2018, 04:53 AM »
I've been having a hard time getting a good hook set as well. I usually hook the bait through the back under the dorsal fin which has always worked for me. I'm going to be replacing all me leaders because they have been breaking on me. Someone mentioned using circle hooks as well, have you guys used circle hooks before?

ItsmeitsmeitsJSG

« Reply #5 on: Feb 07, 2018, 08:39 AM »
I'm hooking them through the back behind the dorsal fin. I'll be back in a few weeks and hopefully my luck changes. In the meantime I'm going to be going with some friends up to sebago for a weekend and will be getting all 5 traps wet for the first time. I heard there were pike in there, among other things. Currently I have my reels spooled with 30 lb ice line, a swivel and 10lb seaguar floro. Should I change that up? Also, how much line do you usually have spooled on your tip ups?

ItsmeitsmeitsJSG

« Reply #6 on: Feb 19, 2018, 08:36 AM »
I finally did it

Offline DConICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 19, 2018, 08:52 AM »
Persistence pays off... nice fish - congrats.

ItsmeitsmeitsJSG

« Reply #8 on: Feb 19, 2018, 09:20 AM »
That’s from NH not Sebago, thought I should clarify. Swimming freely to get bigger and be caught again next year  :tipup:

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 19, 2018, 08:29 PM »
Sometimes it's the type of hook, sometimes it's the size of the hook, and sometimes it's just the fish.
I use circle hooks on my tip-ups, and smaller hook when targeting panfish (fishing for sunfish and perch with a worm baited rig).

You will find what works best, and when you do you will have only one problem left....what to do when it's just the fish!

Good luck in the future!
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Feb 20, 2018, 06:28 AM »
 I'll l give you a few things to contemplate... I like a light wire hook for fishing with smelt and pin shiners...I like the # 6 or #8 Gamakatsu Micro V hooks for this job... depending on the size of the bait....my hook up ratio is about 95% ..I don't miss many.. I use different hooks for different baits but I'm talking live smelt or pin shiners here.. also... when a fish turns the bait and swallows it.. where's the hook ?????.. if its behind the dorsal there is  a pretty good chance you might miss the fish...if you hook the bait in front of the dorsal closer to the head ( where the bait is fatter anyway) the hook is in a better position the hook the fish.. the added benefit to this is tends to keep the smelt  heading down instead of trying go swim up....kind of like a dog on a leash.. the exception  the to rule would be if you are fishing close to your tip up and are able to strike quickly... but the danger with this is you may pull the bait away from the fish while it is turning the bait... most times a fish will take it's time turning a bait IMHO the most common problem for people missing  fish while ice fishing is because they are too quick to set the hook... slow and steady will win the race every time.
"A mans got to know his limitations"

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.