The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Milwaukee drill  (Read 1995 times)

Offline Stickhick86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Milwaukee drill
« on: Jan 20, 2018, 08:24 AM »
My wife just bought me a Milwaukee M18 1/2" compact drill. Was wondering if this would work with my 6" eskimo hand auger and adapter that I already have. Being a brand new drill, I don't want to burn it up. Thanks for the help
Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to ice fish, have his wife mad for ever.

Offline lynng

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Milwaukee drill
« Reply #1 on: Jan 20, 2018, 08:33 AM »
I'm sure others will chime in, but if it is the 2703 or 2704 (hammer) you are all set. If it is the one of smaller ones, I would exchange it. I have both the 2704 and the Mud Mixer and am very happy with both of them.

Offline ActiveTrapChecker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 20, 2018, 08:37 AM »
What type of adapter and what is the torque on the drill? Both are very meaningful

Offline Stickhick86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 20, 2018, 09:26 AM »
It is the model 2606, •Delivers 500 in.-lbs. of torque and up to 1800 RPM
I should also add that she did not get this for ice fishing. Just wanted to see if I could use it for the auger.
I have the ht adapter
Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to ice fish, have his wife mad for ever.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 20, 2018, 09:31 AM »
The fear is burning up the M18 drilling through the ice. Most places I read said try to stay at 750 or more. When I bought mine i picked the 1200 in/lb of torque

Offline Stickhick86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 20, 2018, 09:38 AM »
Thanks for the info, guess I will keep that for the household work and plan on getting a bigger one for the ice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 20, 2018, 09:40 AM »
Thats what I did, upgraded for ice fishing. I have seen people burn up their drills because they went with a small drill. I made the investment hoping to get many years out of it. Best of luck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 20, 2018, 09:44 AM »
I should also note the torque allowed me to upgrade to an 8” auger without fear. So now I can use my 6” for jogging days and my 8” for pike and walleye

Offline Stickhick86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 20, 2018, 09:45 AM »
Thanks again.

Offline meat sticks

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 23, 2018, 03:13 PM »
It is the model 2606, •Delivers 500 in.-lbs. of torque and up to 1800 RPM
I should also add that she did not get this for ice fishing. Just wanted to see if I could use it for the auger.
I have the ht adapter

I used this exact drill with a 6 inch auger for 2 seasons on the ice, and around the house also.  It worked fine.  I got the fuel hammer drill this year, because I wanted a cordless hammer drill.  Otherwise I would have probably just continued using the brushed 500in lb drill.  It worked great with a 6 inch auger.

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 23, 2018, 05:08 PM »
With a 6” auger, your current drill should be alright. Heavy emphasis on should because I’ve never used that drill combo before. Go slow and don’t horse it.
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline buz23

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 24, 2018, 07:16 AM »
I believe that drill has brushes.  Not recommended for long term success driving an ice auger.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #12 on: Jan 24, 2018, 10:29 AM »
i used a ridgid 500 inch pound brushed drill for years. i use it on 4" and 6" (main one) bits. cut up to the most it has seen and that was 22" of ice.

never conked out other than it uses the older style batteries that would loose their charge in the cold. it still works, but i like the newer batteries in their newer tools that are more compact. so now i am using their 780 inch pound brushed drill and it will turn a 7 inch bit.

there is a recent story of one same as yours breaking the casting inside behind the chuck. the user had it on a clam plate for some reason. you should be able to find it on here.

Offline Stickhick86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 28, 2018, 05:56 AM »
Thanks for all the info, I have decided to return in to get the bigger hammer style. Don't want to take any chances.

Offline Stickhick86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Feb 08, 2018, 06:40 AM »
I ended up going with the rigid hammer drill kit that comes with 2 different drills for $229 from Home Depot. Tested the hammer drill yesterday with my 6 inch auger on a foot of good clear ice and it buzzed through it like it was butter. No more hand cranking the auger for this guy!!

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #15 on: Feb 08, 2018, 06:16 PM »
I ended up going with the rigid hammer drill kit that comes with 2 different drills for $229 from Home Depot. Tested the hammer drill yesterday with my 6 inch auger on a foot of good clear ice and it buzzed through it like it was butter. No more hand cranking the auger for this guy!!

<===Lefty===

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.