Author Topic: Marcum VX-1P.... before I send in for repair  (Read 2070 times)

Offline tschneid

• Team IceShanty Regular
Marcum VX-1P.... before I send in for repair
« on: Jan 16, 2018, 11:57 AM »
6 or 7 year old unit. When it is powered on I get a single red mark at the top and nothing else which I think is normal. I can hear the motor hum but it doesnt sound the same as my Dad's who has the same unit. The gain does not pick anything up until I get into the 3-4 range. When it does start registering it doesnt appear to be displaying proper info anyways. Since my dad has the same unit I switched ducers and it did the same thing so the ducer is not the problem. I also put my ducer on his unit and it was fine. Before I send this in for the $80 flat rate repair I was wondering if I can check for something dumb like a fuse or something that might fall in the $2 range. I pulled it all apart and the board looked in good shape. Nothing seemed broken, or burnt out.

Thanks

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
Re: Marcum VX-1P.... before I send in for repair
« Reply #1 on: Jan 16, 2018, 12:50 PM »
battery needs replacing. swap your dads to confirm if you want to.
do a floor test with both and swap parts til you find what one is causing the issue. should be the battery.
use a voltmeter to measure it while it's turned on it should be near 12.5 for a while after you turn it on and slowly drop with the hours of on time.

new 9 amp sla battery's on amazon for 20$. cheap fix!

Offline tschneid

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 16, 2018, 01:36 PM »
battery needs replacing. swap your dads to confirm if you want to.
do a floor test with both and swap parts til you find what one is causing the issue. should be the battery.
use a voltmeter to measure it while it's turned on it should be near 12.5 for a while after you turn it on and slowly drop with the hours of on time.

new 9 amp sla battery's on amazon for 20$. cheap fix!

I forgot to mention that we did swap the battery two different times. I will check out all three batteries just in case but I am guessing one of the three would have enough charge. A lot cheaper than 80$ if I just need a new battery. I will see what I can find out.

Offline rundrave

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 16, 2018, 01:55 PM »
did you also try swapping the transducers?

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #5 on: Jan 16, 2018, 03:33 PM »
I have same model (Christmas present 2014) on my unit there is a blade type fuse on wire that connects to battery charger . If you have similar might be worth a shot changing fuse. Have you checked all connections  to make sure they are tight.
Steve

Offline tschneid

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 19, 2018, 08:07 PM »
Well I came home and gave the batteries a good charge and checked with a multi-meter and voltage was fine. It appears my unit has a legit problem. I changed transducer, changed battery, checked battery, etc, etc, etc. I sent it in and paid the $80 plus the return shipping, plus money to ship it to them. Out $120 but hopefully it will return good as new and cheaper than a new unit.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.