Author Topic: SLA battery makes noise when removed from charger  (Read 1398 times)

Offline buz23

• Team IceShanty Addict
SLA battery makes noise when removed from charger
« on: Jan 05, 2018, 09:58 AM »
So the battery for my LX-7 is showing signs of failing, which  3 plus seasons on it.  The first time I used it this season a couple days ago (I didn't charge it up before hand) it would just barely come on and when I did get it on it showed only 9 volts before shutting down again.  (Its no fun to fish without it, believe me).  So I took it home and tried charging it on the Marcum charger.  After a few hours it showed 13+ volts when disconnected from the charger.  Note that I rarely get the green light to come on with the Marcum charger).  I set it up in the basement and let it run.  It was down to 11 volts or so after an hour.  So then I got out my brand new Battery Tender Junior, removed the battery from the case and tried charging with that (polarity correct, using the clamps, not the quick connect that came with the LX-7 wiring).  After a few hours the light showed steady green, so I disconnected the quick connect and as I did I heard a faint pop and then fizzing/sizzling from the battery.  Put the battery back on the lX-7 and ran it again, this time for about 4-5 hours.  It was down to 11 volts or so but still running.  It came up to 12 volts overnight without charging, but I charged it for a few hours again this morning (I didn't want to leave it on overnight).  Again the green light came on steady, and again when I removed the quick connect there was a faint pop and some fizzing for a few seconds.  Voltage with the unit connected back up shows about 13 v.  I haven't tried the life test yet, waiting for a couple hours first.

Anyone else had this experience when charging SLA batteries?  Time to order new?  I'm not sure I can get one local but will try calling a couple shops before I order on line.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
Re: SLA battery makes noise when removed from charger
« Reply #1 on: Jan 05, 2018, 12:47 PM »
sounds like a dead cell in the battery and also sounds like a fire or explosion of the battery is near.i had my lawn mower battery make noise and fizzing one day along with a weird smell when on the charger.  I walked away and came back and the battery exploded while I was gone.it also melted both charger wires.

Offline Gimper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 05, 2018, 01:08 PM »
SLAs will often have a rating for MAX charge amps printed on a label on the side. What is the amp rating of your battery tender and does your SLA battery have a printed rating? Going over that rating will boil the electrolytes and could very well cause and explosion.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #3 on: Jan 05, 2018, 01:25 PM »
20$ to your door for new 9 amp sla battery.
https://www.amazon.com/Replacement-Mighty-Sealed-BATTERY-Vexilar/dp/B0784TXPV8/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1515180176&sr=8-15&keywords=9+amp+sla+battery

why mess around with old popping/hissing sealed batteries. if it's hissing then it ain't sealed..

Offline buz23

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 05, 2018, 02:46 PM »
I ordered a new battery.  I have seen a number of people (on here) recommend the Battery Tender Junior for these batteries.  Is this still good advice, or will it overpower the battery (a good battery, not necessarily the one I'm having trouble with)???

BTW, the LX-7 ran for 5 hours after a 5 hour charge with the battery tender.  It fell below 10v for the last hour but still operated and gave a strong echo from the concrete floor.  I disconnected it at that point and have hooked it up to the Marcum charger for an overnight charge.  I don't recall hearing any noises when using the Marcum charger (but the noise is subtle and I'm not sure I would have heard it).

Thankful its too cold here (upstate NY) to go fishing the next couple of days.  Battery due here next Tuesday-Wednesday.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Jan 05, 2018, 07:08 PM »
i still use and recommend the battery tender jr for sure.
if you don't need that battery, don't charge it anymore. if you do try to charge it were it won't catch fire or hurt any thing if it explodes.

Offline buz23

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 10, 2018, 05:01 PM »
Update:  the new battery arrived and works great.  And for the first time in about two or three years, I'm getting a green light on my Marcum charger. 

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Jan 10, 2018, 05:24 PM »
who did you shop with and you bought another 9 amp?
thanks for the update!

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 11, 2018, 09:17 AM »
its degassing...get a new battery

battery tender jr only charges at .75 amps. It'll give you a decent maintenance charge but you're better off giving it a 2-5-10a charge every now and then.

Catchin' Fish

Offline buz23

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 11, 2018, 07:10 PM »
who did you shop with and you bought another 9 amp?
thanks for the update!

I couldn't find one local so I followed this advice and got one from Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Replacement-Mighty-Sealed-BATTERY-Vexilar/dp/B0784TXPV8/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1515180176&sr=8-15&keywords=9+amp+sla+battery

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #10 on: Jan 12, 2018, 08:58 AM »
thanks for the reply! glad your all set now. they are so cheap to replace this way.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #11 on: Jan 12, 2018, 08:23 PM »
I ordered a new battery.  I have seen a number of people (on here) recommend the Battery Tender Junior for these batteries.  Is this still good advice, or will it overpower the battery (a good battery, not necessarily the one I'm having trouble with)???

BTW, the LX-7 ran for 5 hours after a 5 hour charge with the battery tender.  It fell below 10v for the last hour but still operated and gave a strong echo from the concrete floor.  I disconnected it at that point and have hooked it up to the Marcum charger for an overnight charge.  I don't recall hearing any noises when using the Marcum charger (but the noise is subtle and I'm not sure I would have heard it).

Thankful its too cold here (upstate NY) to go fishing the next couple of days.  Battery due here next Tuesday-Wednesday.

I use battery tender jr for all of my 12V and 6V SLA batteries. Highly recommend them! They will not overcharge a battery as they have a float mode. Those marcum chargers are junk
EYECONICFISHING

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.