Author Topic: Ice runner expedition review and camera question  (Read 2189 times)

Offline Nevercalm

• IceShanty Rookie
Ice runner expedition review and camera question
« on: Jan 04, 2018, 04:05 PM »
Out today with the new Icerunner Expedition shelter.  Very pleased with the roominess and visibility and back door convenience.  Much more comfortable for two fishermen than my insulated Clam Nanook.  Sets up and take down very easily. Room on the sled for chairs and your feet to remain on sled.  So far so good!  I also have a new Marcum vs485c camera which hasn’t been as helpful as I hoped as our water isn’t very clear and it can only see maybe 3 to 4 feet.  I had it 30 inches away from my jig and didn’t see any fish ever.  At lake bottom we saw only 2 small perch over 1 hour observation.  Meanwhile another buddy about 15 feet away was catching sunfish 4 to 5 per hour.  Does the camera scare away panfish?  We moved 75 feet and started getting bites without lowering the camera.  Our sonars were not seeing many fish either, and none with the camera down there.  Does the camera have to be 10 or more feet away?  Thanks

Offline huntneiowa

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Ice runner expedition review and camera question
« Reply #1 on: Feb 20, 2018, 11:04 PM »
I believe it does have a affect on fish. I always run my camera straight down and if it’s 3-4 feet from my lure they seem hesitant to approach it. Also wondering if you have any more reviews on the ice runner shack, really looking into getting one!

Offline Nevercalm

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 22, 2018, 12:24 PM »
I have fished in it 6 times this season with up to 3 fishing in it.  If you search my posts you’ll find more comments.  I really like it but for the solid ice we have now where you can drive out where you want I am building a hard side shanty.  May have that ready for next season with plans to do more night fishing.  I’m happier with the camera now that I have fished clearer waters.  It's fun watching but doesn’t get you more fish than the sonar.

Offline Sylvanboat

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Feb 26, 2018, 01:12 PM »
In my experience my camera does not spook fish at all, incl pan fish. They have swum up to my camera and just stared at it, then swim away slowly. I generally drill three holes: middle one for my camera & sonar transducer, and outside holes for my rods.

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 26, 2018, 02:00 PM »
In my experience my camera does not spook fish at all, incl pan fish. They have swum up to my camera and just stared at it, then swim away slowly. I generally drill three holes: middle one for my camera & sonar transducer, and outside holes for my rods. 

Ditto, that is my approach as well.  I DO catch more fish (lake trout) with a camera, but it probably depends on your individual conditions.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline Nevercalm

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 26, 2018, 09:50 PM »
So my question on having your camera in the same hole as your sonar; it shows up on the sonar as a fish!  And you end up jigging away and trying to get that camera to come up to your bait!  (This is in cloudy water and unable to see your jig with the camera)  I find the best camera view is horizontally across the bottom, not necessarily where I am jigging.  I need to get to more clearer water lakes! 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.