Author Topic: Lowrance elite 5 problem  (Read 5054 times)

Offline mtnhillbilly

• Team IceShanty Regular
Lowrance elite 5 problem
« on: Jan 04, 2018, 01:40 PM »
Been having problem lately! When I take ducer out of water to land fish my screen goes haywire when I put it back in! Reads depth at like 1.6 and black vertical lines and full screen sometimes!yesterday it actually kept tracking at the depth butscreen still messed up! Tried on and off etc. the after some time messing with it  it decides to work again? Is the ducer going bad? It's only lightly used season old! Screen shot over 16' jig just off bottom! Also if anyone knows how to rid the gps coordinate box on bottom of screen that would be sweet!

Offline WolfPack1

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Lowrance elite 5 problem
« Reply #1 on: Jan 04, 2018, 01:46 PM »
Almost looks to me like it’s switching from down imaging to regular sonar for some reason?

Offline Rugburn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Carpeted boat + rough water = RUGBURN
« Reply #2 on: Jan 04, 2018, 01:58 PM »
Mine has done the same thing when I'm in auto range, kind of a pain. Seems to work well when I put it in a specific depth range. Yes you can get rid of the cords, can't remember how. I'll pull out the book and look.

Offline mtnhillbilly

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 04, 2018, 02:11 PM »
I don't have down imaging and I have. Custom depth at 20 ft! I got this unit mid season last year and still trying to figure it out! Got it working great last week and now this hiccup! Makes me keep ducer in hole while landing fish and we all know how that plays out on larger fish! Thanks for the help so far

Offline theangling1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 04, 2018, 02:20 PM »
Make sure you have the latest firmware loaded.

Offline Rugburn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 04, 2018, 02:27 PM »
I think you may just need to "return to vessel" to get rid of cords?

Offline mtnhillbilly

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 04, 2018, 02:30 PM »
Thanks I will look into firmware! I'm relatively new to fish finders! I only have one for ice ! 

Offline mvanhank222

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 04, 2018, 02:50 PM »
There should be a setup menu for the view you can edit which overlay and where you want it. I agree it looks like it’s switching to regular from down imaging.

Offline mtnhillbilly

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 04, 2018, 04:06 PM »
I tried set up menu but there wasn't any option! I may need to restore this default and start over? I'm still looking into firmware but I'm at work today!

Offline RStock521

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 04, 2018, 05:07 PM »
Yeah, I'd probably restore to factory.  Also, make sure that you have the correct transducer set in the "Installation" setting, and that you have a charged battery.  Sounds odd, but low charged batteries can do wacky things....

Offline mtnhillbilly

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 04, 2018, 05:32 PM »
Yeah battery is getting low and it's on the 3rd year I think? I removed gps upper display but can't find an option to remove that bottom gps window! It drives me crazy since most action occurs of bottom I use zoom and move away but anything deeper than 20 ft and I will miss marks higher up! Below is a screen shot of software and stupid gps box on bottOm

Offline Fry Flier

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 04, 2018, 05:32 PM »
Yeah, I'd probably restore to factory.  Also, make sure that you have the correct transducer set in the "Installation" setting, and that you have a charged battery.  Sounds odd, but low charged batteries can do wacky things....

I would second the battery, vexilar will tell you that the majority of their issues come from not having a battery that is of good charge.  I know this is not a vex and I also have lowrances so this I would check if I was having a problem.
May your tip-up spool while your flag raises with hopes of landing the big one.

Offline Flint

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 04, 2018, 05:46 PM »
Drill a second hole right behind the other for the ducer and save yourself a lot of hassle.

Offline Rugburn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 04, 2018, 05:50 PM »
Goto your nav screen, press menu, enter return to vessel.

Offline mtnhillbilly

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 04, 2018, 06:19 PM »
Thanks for all the advice so far!

with deeper water I tend to drill multiple holes and have one designated for ducer! With the Milwaukee set I have now it's gone be cake drilling extra holes so I'm gonna start that with shallow too just a lot closer as the cone angle sometimes doesnt get my jigs at under 15 fow!

And I've stopped any sort of navigation and haven't found seen the return to vessel option!
 I will try my new backup battery tomorrow and see how things go?

Offline mtnhillbilly

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 04, 2018, 06:22 PM »
Ok found return to vessel! Thanks! I don't ever use navigation screen so that's a new one for me thanks see if f that works once my unit acquires signal!

Offline gofishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 06, 2018, 11:55 AM »
whenever you are on the sonar screen if you hit the arrow button it will go into waypoint mode (that what the dotted lines and coordinates are for) to exit just hit menu and at the top of the list it will say "exit cursor mode" you just hit enter and it will go back to sonar without the dotted lines and coordinates.

Offline mtnhillbilly

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 07, 2018, 11:22 AM »
Ok will give that a try! Took it out Friday to test some ice thickness and some suggestions from you guys! Everything seems to be working except coordinates box but I onlybfished for and hour and a half and 20 minutes of it was fighting this beast on light tackle! Thanks for the help!

Offline kc_

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • formerly known as ljc2tall, aka kc on mff
« Reply #18 on: Jan 07, 2018, 02:09 PM »
I guess the fish finder worked. nice fish

Offline Nitro16

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 08, 2018, 05:44 AM »
Have you tried turning off the gps overlay? You can set what you see on the screen. I would look into that because my elite 5 doesn't show the gps like that
Born to fish, forced to work....

Offline mtnhillbilly

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 08, 2018, 11:03 AM »
I'm gonna try some more of your suggestions this week hopefully! Thanks guys

Offline jbird68

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Jan 09, 2018, 10:03 AM »
I was having prbolems with the depth going from actual depth of about 15 ft and then it would show a depth of 1.5 ft for a period of time. I had to tun off the auto depth and manually set the depth to just deeper than what I was fishing in. It hasn't done it since.

jbird68

Offline jbird68

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Jan 12, 2018, 07:05 PM »
OK. I think I found the problem with my elite-5. After inspecting the transducer cable I found a tear in the insulation about 2 1/2" above the transducer. I just got this in November of 2016. The cable seems to be too soft and not resistant to abrasions. I think the cable rubbed against the zipper and finally it wore out. If I bend the cable slightly around the tear the clicking will change its cadence and sometimes even stop. I emailed Lowrance tech support and hoping I can get a replacement even though I am 2 months past the 1 year warranty date.

jbird68

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #23 on: Jan 12, 2018, 08:19 PM »
That's not good, but another thing to watch for is your transducer freezing when you take it out of the hole. I have that issue sometimes with all of my flashers on cold days, the ducer freezes while walking between holes and it takes a few seconds (sometimes a minute) to thaw and read properly.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #24 on: Jan 12, 2018, 08:21 PM »
jbird, with the angle of that slice I'd say a fish wrapped ya up and sliced it with the line. Happens, and I agree the outer material on those lowrance ice ducers is way too thin and soft.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline jbird68

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Jan 12, 2018, 09:09 PM »
It was working pretty good up until the last two times I was out. I just hang it out the front of the bag and over the side of the hole. I'm hoping Lowrance will address this. But now I'm down to 1 finder for me and my boy.
jbird68

Offline jbird68

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Jan 14, 2018, 04:24 PM »
Got an email from Lowrance today. They are sending me a replacement transducer. That's excellent service. I just had to send them a copy of my invoice... Which I downloaded from Amazon and already emailed it to them. I will be looking at a way to protect the cable when I get it so this won't happen again.
jbird68

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #27 on: Jan 14, 2018, 05:07 PM »
Good to hear they didnt make you experience the full customer service of sending your unit back. Let's just say it wasn't quick. Glad they just sent you a new transducer. As for protecting it, I bet a piece of split wire loom would work.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline jbird68

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Jan 14, 2018, 05:55 PM »
I was thinking the same thing. Or maybe a piece of poly tubing that I can split lengthwise and zip tie it on the cable. Maybe 8 to 12 inch long piece. If I could use a piece of heat shrink that would be ideal. But I can't slide it over the connector.
jbird68

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #29 on: Jan 14, 2018, 07:46 PM »
Make sure you don't get something that will be stiff in the cold, or it may hinder your ducer's ability to hang level.
EYECONICFISHING

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.