Author Topic: Underwater Brookies on the Skinny Ice  (Read 1182 times)

Offline Brandon

• Team IceShanty Addict
Underwater Brookies on the Skinny Ice
« on: Dec 29, 2017, 09:56 PM »

Underwater Brook Trout Behavior while ice fishing using a Jaw Jacker, Len Thompson Spoon and Slender Spoon. To get this video I just pointed a GoPro down to watch what would go on while I had a Jaw Jacker set up and while jigging. This was a excellent day of brook trout fishing on very thin ice. The fish were coming in quickly and highly aggressive. You can see the difference in behavior between a dead stick presentation and jigging. It is very profound and might have you changing your fishing ways.
THE FISHING DOCTORS ADVENTURES https://www.youtube.com/user/Brandonkop

Offline ianwuzhere

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • GOT ICE??
Re: Underwater Brookies on the Skinny Ice
« Reply #1 on: Dec 29, 2017, 11:11 PM »
Awesome vid. :thumbsup:
 Tons of lil feed in that lake. Always fun when can get out and have lotsa action like that..
I have a jaw jacker but havent used it, what odds of hook ups do you think you get with it?  The hardwater seasons upon us, time to start drilling some holes..   :icefish: :thumbsup:
~its not over till its soft, --- "tfg".

Offline Jiggle Jerry

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 30, 2017, 12:09 PM »
Yeah that video great! Really cool to see the behaviour patterns of the brookies when he increases the action of the spoons. Would be neat to compare jaw jacker or dead stick method vs spoon action here in our local lakes. Will get my go pro out this season and see if I can get some worthy footage.

Offline Burnblaze

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 30, 2017, 12:17 PM »
Very cool  :thumbsup:

Offline IceDrisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 31, 2017, 08:30 PM »
I find that the dead stick method works really well early in the season, and then as the season progresses it tends to slow down and the bigger brookies don't seem to respond as well to the dead bait. This time of year I find it more effective to keep the bait moving and small jigs and spoons are the ticket.

Offline Brandon

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 22, 2018, 03:17 AM »
Awesome vid. :thumbsup:
 Tons of lil feed in that lake. Always fun when can get out and have lotsa action like that..
I have a jaw jacker but havent used it, what odds of hook ups do you think you get with it?  The hardwater seasons upon us, time to start drilling some holes..   :icefish: :thumbsup:

Hook up percentage is really good with the Jaw Jacker.  I'd say I'm around 90 to 100 percent most days.  But sometimes the fish comes off before I get there.  Seems rare that it completely misses.  They have to grab the head of the jig only for that to happen.  All depends on how you set it up too. 

It really depends on the day though, I out fish it some days and the days I'm not catching it catches everything.  In alberta where we are allowed two lines its always a competition, haha.
THE FISHING DOCTORS ADVENTURES https://www.youtube.com/user/Brandonkop

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.