Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: IGL  (Read 4027 times)

Offline drakevh

• IceShanty Rookie
IGL
« on: Nov 22, 2017, 11:45 AM »
Just got up to IGL for family Thanksgiving. Most of the bays are iced. My mom said they weren’t last night but the one we live by next to Trigs resort is frozen all the way across.

Offline JPage92

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: IGL
« Reply #1 on: Nov 23, 2017, 02:18 PM »
I live in spirit lake and its been freezing and thawing for the last couple weeks... hopefully after the warm up this week temps will drop back down and start producing some solid ice

Offline drakevh

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 05, 2017, 08:00 PM »
Any chance anyone from around the IGL give an update on ice conditions? I’m hoping to get up their around Christmas weekend, but I’d love some progress reports!

Offline Fish Butcher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 06, 2017, 09:22 AM »
Go to Okoboji Classifieds and click on Web cams.

Offline Dwedemeier

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 08, 2017, 12:09 PM »
Has Spirit Lake capped over yet? I know West is still wide open.

Offline JPage92

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 11, 2017, 06:02 PM »
Well we did have a good base on east lake... West O is still open, Spirit was freezing over on south end. I'm sure thats probably opened back up with the wind today. looking like won't be till Christmas till we get out around here. Be smart and play it safe!

Offline skuhnert

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 12, 2017, 09:59 AM »
The warm temps this week is not going to help.  Looks like cooler weather late next week.

Offline drakevh

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 12, 2017, 10:37 PM »
Any update on ice conditions? How’s east fairing?

Offline Dwedemeier

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 13, 2017, 07:10 AM »
Kabeles Post a video on facebook stating there was 2" on Anglers bay on Spirit and from what ive heard the north end of East is about the same. Ive seen a couple people say theres up to 4" in some spots but I dont know if i'd trust that.

Offline JPage92

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 13, 2017, 11:23 PM »
Spirit Lake is trying hard to freeze over but theres still a gaping hole of open water that covers a large area out in the middle. I did see quite a few shacks in the templar marina on Monday . East lake has been caped on north end but has been freezing and thawing over and over, and west I'm assuming it still open. I think we all need to play it safe and wait for them colder temps around Christmas time to get these lakes gong with sold ice.

Offline speedy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Dec 17, 2017, 09:04 AM »
Call the or look at their Facebook pages they will have reports. ie: Kabele's Trading Post, Oh Shuck's and Stan's Bait and Tackle.

Offline Douglas14

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Dec 18, 2017, 05:54 PM »
Any update here?  Hoping to fish over the holidays as I'll be visiting up in the area

Offline drakevh

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Dec 18, 2017, 06:09 PM »
I look at parks marina web cam daily. East looks capped but I have no idea on thickness. I’d love an update. I’m hoping to go Friday through Tuesday... praying for cold snap... we’ll see what happens

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Dec 18, 2017, 09:23 PM »
The forecast is cold starting Thursday.
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline BigSling

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 19, 2017, 09:41 AM »
The forecast is cold starting Thursday.

Cold and forecasts seem to be dropping down the expected snow amount. I was hearing 5-6" the past couple days and now the expectation is down to around 2". With strong north winds blowing it away Thursday, that ice will be forming fast.

Offline drakevh

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Dec 20, 2017, 11:11 AM »
I haven’t heard any reports on east or spirit? Anyone out fishing those lakes? I know they freeze a bit sooner than west. I’m going up there tomorrow night through Tuesday. Should be lots of fishing planned.

If anyone wants to tag along let me know.

Offline hunt_fish_forever

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Dec 20, 2017, 01:21 PM »
Are there any bays or coves that are iced over that people have been fishing?

Offline dcmod25

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Dec 20, 2017, 01:26 PM »
spirit lake has 6" on anglers bay. most of hales slough has 5" to 6" of good ice. south east end of the lake has some good ice also. there is open water on some spots of the lake also but plenty of fishable ice out there if you are careful.

Offline Mchmss

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Dec 20, 2017, 08:06 PM »
I’ve been wondering about Hale’s Slough. How deep is It and what type of fish do people usually target in that area?

Offline drakevh

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Dec 23, 2017, 10:24 AM »
Anyone having any luck here? I’m on spirit right now in anglers bay and it’s pretty slow. Only seen some real small perch and caught about an 8-9 incher. All others I’ve seen on my camera were 3 or less inches.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #20 on: Dec 24, 2017, 09:55 PM »
Anyone having any luck here? I’m on spirit right now in anglers bay and it’s pretty slow. Only seen some real small perch and caught about an 8-9 incher. All others I’ve seen on my camera were 3 or less inches.

Welcome to the IGL.....

Offline drakevh

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Dec 24, 2017, 09:59 PM »
Oh I fished here many a time. I know how it goes. Today was much better. You need to be hole hopping to find them. Saw guys pulling a permanent shack out on spirit already.

I’m going to try Stoney point tomorrow and maybe buffalo run. See if I can bag a few more perch. Caught some nice ones today but it took all day to nag 10 that were worth anything.

Offline timl300

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Dec 27, 2017, 11:23 AM »
Is the ice thick enough for side by sides on Spirit, I imagine that it is making ice at a pretty good clip right now.

Offline BigSling

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Dec 27, 2017, 02:32 PM »
Is the ice thick enough for side by sides on Spirit, I imagine that it is making ice at a pretty good clip right now.

Check out Kabele's facebook or give them a call for ice conditions. I was out this morning on the west side in 15' of water and measured 7-7 1/2 inches.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.