Author Topic: Kovac Ice Master or Blue Nils Drill Adapter?  (Read 3689 times)

Offline RStock521

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Kovac Ice Master or Blue Nils Drill Adapter?
« on: Nov 22, 2017, 09:17 AM »
So Nils makes a blue drill adapter with a disc to keep the auger from falling down the hole if it were to ever come off the drill chuck.  Most of the comments on IC seem to be about the Kovac Ice Master adapter, with the bungee cord to keep the auger from falling down the hole.  Anybody have a reason I should look at one adapter over the other?  I know the Kovac Ice Master supposedly removes some pressure from the chuck with the bungee cord, but I don't know how much this actually helps reduce wear/tear.  Thanks! 

Offline Deal Ninja

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Kovac Ice Master or Blue Nils Drill Adapter?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 22, 2017, 09:24 AM »
I asked Sharp Nils this very question in a pm and he said the Kovac is fine exept that the cord tends to interfere with the forward/reverse buttons on the drill.  I bought the authentic Nils one from FishUSA on sale and am very happy with it.  Where you chuck the drill on (bit) has deep indentations to prevent the chuck from coming loose/slipping off and stripping your bit.

DN
DON'T DILLY DALLY!!!   ;D

Polar Bird 3T, Eskimo EVO 1it
8" K-Drill, 8" Nils Arctic Trekker, Milwaukee Mud Mixer, Milwaukee 2704-22, Clam Plate, Adapters to make everything work with everything. lol
Marcum LX-7s (2) Dakota Lithium powered

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Nov 22, 2017, 10:34 AM »
The Kovac works like a charm for me. Simple and effective. I also don't care for that spinning disk that so many are based on. You could easily saw a slice into the arm of your jacket or at least I can in my imagination.
We're born, we live for a while, and then we die.  Sounds like a good reason to go ice fishing.
                                                               Stinky

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Nov 22, 2017, 10:37 AM »
The Kovac works like a charm for me. Simple and effective. I also don't care for that spinning disk that so many are based on. You could easily saw a slice into the arm of your jacket or at least I can in my imagination.

Hey use it to fillet fish!
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline quickco

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 22, 2017, 11:06 AM »
i made my own adapter from steel rod and am finding this to be a pain as well, i have seen a steel rod that goes through the auger in some versions but man that could hurt and same with the disc. I have seen that bungee deal but bungee in the COLD COLD weather may not hold up.

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Nov 22, 2017, 11:21 AM »
I have the little metal adapter from (I think) HT. There is no safety on it. I leave it attached to my mora auger and just put the whole thing into the chuck of my Milwaukee drill each day when I take the drill out of it's case. It must be a good combo, because it tightens down TIGHT and I have never had a problem with it loosening up! Can't speak to other drill/adapter/auger combinations as this is the only one I have tried, but it seems to be a NON-issue so far.
Where's the FISH?!

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #6 on: Nov 22, 2017, 12:24 PM »
So Nils makes a blue drill adapter with a disc to keep the auger from falling down the hole if it were to ever come off the drill chuck.  Most of the comments on IC seem to be about the Kovac Ice Master adapter, with the bungee cord to keep the auger from falling down the hole.  Anybody have a reason I should look at one adapter over the other?  I know the Kovac Ice Master supposedly removes some pressure from the chuck with the bungee cord, but I don't know how much this actually helps reduce wear/tear.  Thanks!

I would personally go with the nils adaptor. You know it can't go down the hole then. Not sure, but will the Kovac adaptor go on the nils? It's made to go into the handle tube of normal hand augers. The nils needs an adaptor to fit over the top of the shaft.

Offline RStock521

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Nov 22, 2017, 12:31 PM »
I would personally go with the nils adaptor. You know it can't go down the hole then. Not sure, but will the Kovac adaptor go on the nils? It's made to go into the handle tube of normal hand augers. The nils needs an adaptor to fit over the top of the shaft.
  Yeah, Kovac makes a special one for Nils.  I'm leaning towards the Nils one, but just thought I'd get the trusted opinions of fellow IC guys.  Thanks!

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #8 on: Nov 22, 2017, 12:34 PM »
  Yeah, Kovac makes a special one for Nils.  I'm leaning towards the Nils one, but just thought I'd get the trusted opinions of fellow IC guys.  Thanks!

I got ya. I run my nils on a 2nd clam plate where the chuck is taken off and love it. However I got the blue nils drll adaptor coming. Reason is I can put my drill on and off it easier, & then can use the drill to drill holes and to raise the wheel house wheels up.

Offline 6x6

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Nov 22, 2017, 01:02 PM »
Before I moved to the Kdrill, I had the Kovac on mine.  Served me well for years.  No issues at all. 

Offline straightShot

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Nov 22, 2017, 04:30 PM »
FishUSA ships their products fast, and they have sales.  My blue Nils adapter will be delivered Friday.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #11 on: Nov 27, 2017, 06:51 PM »
I got ya. I run my nils on a 2nd clam plate where the chuck is taken off and love it. However I got the blue nils drll adaptor coming. Reason is I can put my drill on and off it easier, & then can use the drill to drill holes and to raise the wheel house wheels up.

Well my blue adaptor came today......it measures about 8 1/4in. When I measured my original red cutting head I was just a hair over 8in. Which is fine. The problem I have is I had bought a used nils power point cutting head from a guy....it was sharpened by Frank......when I measure across the cutting head I'm getting 8 1/2in........I'll have to cut a hole an check to make sure I'm measuring right.....but it looks like with the power point cutting head my nils could go down the hole yet.......I'll have to check once on the ice, but talk about the chits. I guess I could get a larger frisbee and cut/mount it under the plate.....

Offline Damn Yankee

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #12 on: Nov 27, 2017, 07:05 PM »
Well my blue adaptor came today......it measures about 8 1/4in. When I measured my original red cutting head I was just a hair over 8in. Which is fine. The problem I have is I had bought a used nils power point cutting head from a guy....it was sharpened by Frank......when I measure across the cutting head I'm getting 8 1/2in........I'll have to cut a hole an check to make sure I'm measuring right.....but it looks like with the power point cutting head my nils could go down the hole yet.......I'll have to check once on the ice, but talk about the chits. I guess I could get a larger frisbee and cut/mount it under the plate.....

Getting a 8½" hole with a 8" bit is a bargain. A 8" hole with a K-Drill is 7½".
Leave Some For Seed

Offline straightShot

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Nov 27, 2017, 07:12 PM »
Well my blue adaptor came today....

I got mine as well. Is the disk on yours flat?  Mine isn't, but with an auger attached and cutting ice, it'll probably be fine. I was just wondering if the disk is supposed to be a bit wavy or flat.

Offline shiveringjoe

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Nov 27, 2017, 08:35 PM »
I used the Kovac for 2 years and it worked well, now I have a clam plate and definitely prefer it. Only real complaint with the Kovac is that occasionally my auger would bite (6" lazer) and the torque was very powerful. I twisted my hand up one time and messed up a tendon that still doesn't feel quite right. The drill plate gives you full control and makes it much easier to set your auger down in the snow or slush.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #15 on: Nov 27, 2017, 08:50 PM »
I got mine as well. Is the disk on yours flat?  Mine isn't, but with an auger attached and cutting ice, it'll probably be fine. I was just wondering if the disk is supposed to be a bit wavy or flat.

Yeah...it's a touch wavy.....nothing that would be a problem.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #16 on: Nov 27, 2017, 08:53 PM »
Getting a 8½" hole with a 8" bit is a bargain. A 8" hole with a K-Drill is 7½".

Not complaining.....gues I could call my power point cutting head a 9in....lol.....just doesn't look like my plan to run the drill adaptor on it is going to work.....wanted a quick on/off for the drill so I could use it to lift the wheel house.

Offline straightShot

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Nov 27, 2017, 09:35 PM »
Yeah...it's a touch wavy.....nothing that would be a problem.

Thanks!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.