Author Topic: What size lure for Perch?  (Read 4098 times)

Offline OverUnder725

• IceShanty Rookie
What size lure for Perch?
« on: Nov 21, 2017, 10:40 AM »
Fairly new to ice fishing, just got all my gear at the tail end of last season and have a few questions about the size of lure for Perch.  I fished with PK lures last year and had some success but I am wondering if they were a little to big?  I can't remember off had what size they were but the flat lures I was using were about the size of a nickel with a red treble hook and the "peanut" shaped lures are about 1" - 1-1/4" long with the same treble hook.  I have been fishing at Blackstrap and using maggots as bait.   

Offline Whytie

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: What size lure for Perch?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 21, 2017, 11:04 AM »
Depends on how big the perch are in the lake but a good size PK spoon in the 1/4oz to 1/2oz works well. I like to use noisy baits to call them in like a perch talker or a buckshot. pound bottom stir up the sand and they will come in to inspect. If you have a flasher and you know they are there, but tight lipped use a smaller hook. I like to use a tungsten jig about a 6-8mm size with maggots or the new VMC tungsten flies. if that doesn't work sometime a plain hook loaded with bait and weight will do the trick, just set it down and watch your rod tip if it moves set it.

Offline saskbucks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 21, 2017, 12:27 PM »
I've had really good luck with the smallest PK spoon (perch pattern) that has a small silver blade.  It does really well for perch and walleye.  I usually tip it with a minnow head. 
Get outside.  It does a body and mind good!

Offline OD0814

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Nov 21, 2017, 01:08 PM »
Some good info here!  That's why this forum is the best, people actually help other people out!

Offline tbern

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Nov 21, 2017, 01:20 PM »
Some good info here!  That's why this forum is the best, people actually help other people out!
. I agree!

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Nov 21, 2017, 01:28 PM »
 i must be doing something wrong with those pk lures.  bought a bunch when they came out but now they're all hanging on the christmas tree.

really like those vmc tungsten flies but lost my favourite one last march to a huge walleye.  my go to for perch is a small hawger spoon with a perch eye and 4lb test.  going to try out some small plastics this year and see how that goes.

Offline Tech By Trade

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Nov 21, 2017, 01:38 PM »
If you want to catch the little guys throw on a Hali with a pink maggot, it gets a little tedious though, pulling off so many and throwing them back down the hole.

Offline Whytie

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Nov 21, 2017, 01:53 PM »
i must be doing something wrong with those pk lures.  bought a bunch when they came out but now they're all hanging on the christmas tree.

really like those vmc tungsten flies but lost my favourite one last march to a huge walleye.  my go to for perch is a small hawger spoon with a perch eye and 4lb test.  going to try out some small plastics this year and see how that goes.

You'll be happy to know Cabelas is carrying vmc flies this year. But at a cost of $9.49  >:(

Offline river rat78

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Nov 21, 2017, 02:38 PM »
You'll be happy to know Cabelas is carrying vmc flies this year. But at a cost of $9.49  >:(
Fishusa.com has them for almost half that price

Offline OverUnder725

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Nov 21, 2017, 03:14 PM »
Depends on how big the perch are in the lake but a good size PK spoon in the 1/4oz to 1/2oz works well. I like to use noisy baits to call them in like a perch talker or a buckshot. pound bottom stir up the sand and they will come in to inspect. If you have a flasher and you know they are there, but tight lipped use a smaller hook. I like to use a tungsten jig about a 6-8mm size with maggots or the new VMC tungsten flies. if that doesn't work sometime a plain hook loaded with bait and weight will do the trick, just set it down and watch your rod tip if it moves set it.

Thank you!  I do have some of the buckshot lures as well.  The perch I was catching last year were that 11"-13" range.  Usually 4-5 over the coarse of the day when others reported catching many more.  I know location may be key, as well, but I also wondered if they were using smaller lures and catching smaller fish?

Offline Whytie

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Nov 21, 2017, 03:51 PM »
I wouldn't complain about 4-5 decent sized perch. Just make sure your always moving if you have a power auger drill out a grid pattern and keep moving. perch are always roaming, they may be in one area for a week or two but they'll move off once the food is gone. and don't be afraid to try shallow I have caught my biggest an hour before sundown in 4-6 feet of water granted my biggest is only 14 1/2".

Offline OverUnder725

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Nov 21, 2017, 06:14 PM »
Thanks for the advice fellas!  I'm going to head out tomorrow and try in front of the boat launches.  I picked up some more lures at the fishing hole this afternoon, that place is evil!!  Here are a some pics of the stuff I have for Perch, am I headed in the right direction?

Offline sask_sloughshark

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Nov 21, 2017, 06:44 PM »
Looks like any of those lures would do the job. I personally like the pk predators, but I think the most important thing is that there is always a juicy maggot or eyeball on your hook.
Good luck fishing

Offline OverUnder725

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Nov 21, 2017, 06:55 PM »
I usually use maggots.  Which I forgot to get today!!  Thanks for the reminder.  Looks like a trip to Cabela's tonight.

Offline river rat78

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Nov 22, 2017, 10:49 AM »
If you can find beaded spoons try those. They are deadly on perch here in Michigan and on lake simcoe. If perch are feeding on bluegill you want what's called a bottle cap. It's short, fat, round. Gobies you want the kite shape. Minnows long and slender.

Offline grizzyboy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Nov 22, 2017, 01:23 PM »
I have used a Len Thompson #6 Five of Diamonds. I take the treble off and replace it with a J hook with minnow head or perch eye. Also if the bite is slow and you are marking fish use a bobber and just let the bait sit. I have caught perch this way while my buddies who where jigging caught squat.

Offline Tech By Trade

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Nov 22, 2017, 01:53 PM »
Presentation is as important as the bait. If you ever get an opportunity get a camera out there. I have set up my fish TV across the shack and watched the schools of perch and how they react to depths and bait and its quite interesting. Sometimes a school will swim in and circle the bait when jigging. When using a bobber some times they will just bump into the side of the hook and swim away. Some times with the bobber they will just sit there and look at the hook until you lift it up a few inches and then attack it. Some times they will follow it up, and not attack until you drop the hook back down. Some times they are right on the bottom, sometimes a foot or two off. My best luck though is still with the hali, its unstoppable, it just depends on what they are doing that day.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.