The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: small jigging spoons for bluegill  (Read 760 times)

Offline Wollypog

• IceShanty Rookie
small jigging spoons for bluegill
« on: Nov 19, 2017, 04:06 PM »
Hello Everyone
I was wondering how well people do icefishing with small spoons for bluegill, I've caught fish with them in the summer. And I plan to try them this winter, I'm wondering if you do better with the small treble hooks or with the single hooks on the chains like the Hali spoons? Do they tend to work better in deep water or pretty much wherever you find fish? Thanks for sharing.

Wollypog

Offline Dinosaur1

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: small jigging spoons for bluegill
« Reply #1 on: Nov 19, 2017, 06:16 PM »
Never caught gills on small spoons, only crappies. I have caught them on Swedish Pimples with a Hali chain. I have a silver spoon with a red bead that, if I haven't seen anything on the flasher for awhile, I drop to the bottom and rip it up. Everything comes in to look at that. Doesn't mean they bite. They just come to look. Prefer a small small chartreuse jig with perch stripes for gills.

Offline quack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 20, 2017, 05:33 AM »
I've caught plenty of gills on small spoons, I've only ever used the treble. I don't seem to have any problems with hook ups unless it's very small fish. I like using them when smaller fish are around though because you'll usually get bigger fish to bite.
Funniest thing about ice fishing for me is when people who know nothing about ice activities try to warn me about the dangers of the ice...

Offline Wollypog

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Nov 20, 2017, 07:57 AM »
Thanks for sharing, I've caught bluegills in the summer on  the treble hooks and I was kind of wondering where
dinosaur 1 was saying they have drawing appeal if maybe the chain and single hook might convince them to commit. Can't wait for some ice, good fishing everybody.

Wollypog

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #4 on: Nov 20, 2017, 09:25 AM »
Always have one rod set up with a 1/16 oz slender spoon treble hook.
Keep it safe! JDL

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.