The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: What the best Ultralight rod you guys have used? suggestions please  (Read 2704 times)

Offline Fish_Slayer11

• IceShanty Rookie
More so looking for some shorter Ultralight rods i can use in the shanty with the lady.  Looking for a Ultralight super senstive rod.  Any suggestions, also a reel to pair with maybe?

Offline 3300

• Iceshanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
i have used plenty and now i only use one. it's the 13 fishing wicked in a 19" ul. they offered it up in the sul version and that is slightly stronger.
they do make combos that retail around 50$. many like their tickle stick.
i just like having the shortest rod with decent components and short handle/butt. because of the short handle, i had to improvise rod holders by using 1 1/4" pvc tubing used under sinks for extensions because it is thin walled as inserts into rod holders.

i do add frabill's titanium strike indicators. they are the best of strike indicators i can find. they are adjustable and use a large loop to help on ice-ips and retract fully for easy transportation.

for line i use stroft gtm. it's a german line sold in only one place here in the states. i also use for open water and fly line leaders. it is the smallest diameter line to pound rating i can find thanks to dustr.

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
First off 3300 is a good source of good info and opinions! I too use 13 fishing rods although not that particular one. Going to have to check out the line he mentioned.
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline 3300

• Iceshanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
thanks for that Unclegillhunter! here is the link to the line i mentioned. you can call and get other options like when a certain size will be available or larger spools. it is supposed to be one of the main lines used by pros in europe for ice fishing.
http://www.lostcreekflies.com/shop/search/stroft

Offline OneMoreFish

• Team IceShanty Regular
Another vote for the 13 fishing rods. I use tickle sticks, mainly a 27 inch UL and I love it. My father in law uses Widow Makers and those are nice too.

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
my favorite in my collection is the St. Croix Premier 26" UL. I use the Shimano Sienna on it. they also sell this rod as a combo, I think. I picked up the rod at Dick's on clearance for $7.50. 50% off clearance. didn't need it but couldn't resist the price.

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
24" St. Croix Legend
23" Tickle Stick
19" Wicked  13 ul
Three of the best you  can go with I have 4 old Legends before they came with built in spring bobber. They get use a lot. Crazy fun on the Tickle Stick and the little Wicked 13 rod. If your into finesse fishing your the ticket.. I fish plastic 90 percent of the time.

Offline potatoe

• Team IceShanty Regular
Thanks to this forum - HT Ice Blue - using the 26"

$13 dollars so you do not worry about breaking it - works great - bought another this fall

Offline Joe in T.C.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
The 24" Cadillac elite rod is another rod you may want to look at.

So sensitive you don't need a spring bobber and the size works well in a shanty

I have used these for years with great results.

Don't let the cheap price fool you.

Here is The link:

http://www.pilgrimvillagefishing.com/cadillac_elite/

Good Luck all :tipup:

Offline Oscoda Ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The Mountains are Blue
A lot of great recommendations. I got my lady the 13 Fishing "Wicked Long Stem Combo" last season. She really likes it. Comes in a UL option  http://www.jaggedtoothtackle.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=6531

If you're looking to spend a bit more I can not say enough about the 13 Fishing Tickle Stick. 27" UL is great. http://www.jaggedtoothtackle.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=7450

I paired the Tickle Stick with a a Black Betty 6061. It is an absolute blast to fish with.   http://www.franksgreatoutdoors.com/13-fishing-black-betty-inline-reel.html

-Kyle
"Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers."    -Herbert Hoover

Offline BLUJBURD

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish...Fish...Fish
Not sure if they still make them but schooley made a 18" or shorter ultra light that you can affix reel of choice to "no reel seat". I've been using mine for years. It's a glass rod very sensitive very short, but you can bring in small pike and bass if you play em right.
I have a BS in Narrative Fishing History.

Offline Junkie4Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
13 fishing ticklestick and St. Croix legend rods are my two go-to UL rods. I prefer short rods so all mine are <24". I run a frabill 371 on the st. Croix and BB freefall on the ticklestick. Can't go wrong with either combo, or any of the previously mentioned ones!
Da Pack!

Offline DaveSS1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Honestly I never spent much money on UL ice rods as I have had good luck with both the HT ice blues and the Cadillac elite rods mentioned above.

Offline Bodean

• IceShanty Rookie
Love my st Croix

Offline Muskyrush

• Team IceShanty Regular
When you say sensitive, need to be a little more specific. Would you rather see or feel the bite? Big difference, if you wanna see the bite ice blues are great for 10$ wanna spend more power noodle type rods are nice. If you wanna feel it you really need a nice solid carbon blank, just about any custom rod building will use a good blank.

Offline Baetis62

• Team IceShanty Addict
If your budget is not a concern you might want to look at Thorne Bros Quiverstick or Panfish Sweetheart

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Ht ice blue pro its a little stiffer then the reg ice blue rods but works good for small fish and fishing for bait .. that was for a noodle ultra lite

As for ultra lite check out sportsmensdirect.com for the ul Ice slammer rods.. or even the gander ul advantage rods but good luck finding one now..

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
I don't have too many high dollar rods for icefishing but the ht ice blues 24" are decent rod that need no indicators on them.i use the shorties in my shack and the 36" or longer rods running and gunning so I can stand up and jig.i also like the snitch rod.ive been buying rods with wippy tips so I don't need the expensive titanium indicators anymore.

Offline crappieslayer37

• Team IceShanty Maniac
13 fishing widowmaker paired with the long stem reel is a very nice rod. Crazy backbone for an ultralight with such a sensitive tip. However the shortest is 24". But i have no issues in the otter.

Offline kcskypilot

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • A nice day!
Thanks to this forum - HT Ice Blue - using the 26"

$13 dollars so you do not worry about breaking it - works great - bought another this fall

Ditto on Ice Blue! My favorite is their 18". Never need a spring bobber.

Offline 3274mike

• IceShanty Rookie
I second the caddilac rods from pilgrim village, also agree with 13 wicked, give no 8 infared a try great for the price

Offline SweetDaddyKrugs

• IceShanty Rookie
  • You get old by staying off of thin ice.
I build my own, I use the  Janns NetCraft MicroLite, and from BassHawg Powernoodles.. Usually cut to 28 inches. 

Offline primetime

• Team IceShanty Regular
Ice blues all the way inexpensive and work great in the shanty I have 3 of them.

Offline bradh86

• Team IceShanty Regular
Another vote for the 13 fishing rods. I use tickle sticks, mainly a 27 inch UL and I love it. My father in law uses Widow Makers and those are nice too.
I have one 13 Fishing Wicked Ice (White) Fishing Rod not as sensitive as i would like. 

Offline crappieslayer37

• Team IceShanty Maniac
St croix 24" ul legend black paired with Black Betty 6061.

Offline Iceicemike

• Team IceShanty Regular
Original 27ul tickle stick
Before they made the tip thicker
I'm very very nice to it!

Offline Garufi518

• Team IceShanty Regular
I also have the tickle stick 27 UL ...pre ban tip as stated above

Offline iceman10

• Team IceShanty Regular
If your budget is not a concern you might want to look at Thorne Bros Quiverstick or Panfish Sweetheart

The Quiver stick with the stealth options is absolutely the most sensitive & lightest rod I’ve got . Pretty expensive , but as she says I’m worth it 😀

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.