Author Topic: underwater lights??  (Read 3300 times)

Offline got1

• Team IceShanty Regular
underwater lights??
« on: Jan 17, 2011, 08:04 PM »
anyone have any usefull info.. ;D

Offline StingingLips

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: underwater lights??
« Reply #1 on: Jan 17, 2011, 09:15 PM »
type that in the search bar, im pretty sure there was just a topic on this in either the Maine or NH bored

Offline Pail Rider

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 18, 2011, 06:18 AM »
Illegal in NH

Offline got1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 18, 2011, 04:37 PM »
ah well dont need no info then thanks..

lael19533

« Reply #4 on: Jan 18, 2011, 05:23 PM »
If the fish have sunglasses when they pass the camera-you know they are used to seeing them :whistle:
I really don't understand...so what ARE underwater lights? ???

Offline hrdwtr24

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 18, 2011, 06:02 PM »
If the fish have sunglasses when they pass the camera-you know they are used to seeing them :whistle:
I really don't understand...so what ARE underwater lights? ???

LLT we use underwater lights to night fish (most guy's around here use them to crappie fish) the lights usually green in color attract bait which draws in bigger fish and.... well I think you get in now... ;)  when I worked on the charter boat we used lights to catch tuna at night...

Offline flyboyroy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 18, 2011, 06:16 PM »
LLT we use underwater lights to night fish (most guy's around here use them to crappie fish) the lights usually green in color attract bait which draws in bigger fish and.... well I think you get in now... ;)  when I worked on the charter boat we used lights to catch tuna at night...

I have one of those green ones.   It lights up great ---  you  can see probably a 30' circle of bright green light under the shanty.

I  havent really decided if it catches me any more fish --   I  dont know.    It  doesnt seem to scare the fish, so  thats a plus.    I would be interested in knowing if anyone  thinks they help a little or a lot, or not at all.

Offline pikefreak

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 18, 2011, 06:24 PM »
i didnt see in the fishing regs anything about the legality of lights does anyone know what page thats on

Offline Dispy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 18, 2011, 06:27 PM »
I have one of those green ones.   It lights up great ---  you  can see probably a 30' circle of bright green light under the shanty.

I  havent really decided if it catches me any more fish --   I  dont know.    It  doesnt seem to scare the fish, so  thats a plus.    I would be interested in knowing if anyone  thinks they help a little or a lot, or not at all.

Not....scent is what draws..not light..unless you commercially fish smelt for bait purposes, does you no good. Light collects plankton, plankton collects smelt, smelt collects salmonoids or others........otherwis e illegal to fish at night.......Good luck..to fish at night try preparing bait dough similar to catfish dough...hint hint wink wink!!!!!

Cheers and Tight Lines!!!

Offline Wild Turk

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 18, 2011, 07:37 PM »
I believe it is somehow listed into this lawHere= http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rsa/html/XVIII/207/207-10.htm

Actually would be a pretty tricky law to enforce unless there was a bulb underwater. Kinda on the theory that you are using a lantern casting rays across the water hornpouting.

Offline Wild Turk

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 18, 2011, 07:45 PM »
This link is more spacifically listed to lights= http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rsa/html/XVIII/211/211-13.htm

Offline Dispy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 18, 2011, 07:51 PM »
I believe it is somehow listed into this lawHere= http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rsa/html/XVIII/207/207-10.htm

Actually would be a pretty tricky law to enforce unless there was a bulb underwater. Kinda on the theory that you are using a lantern casting rays across the water hornpouting.

Sorry Turk this applies to hunting..could be wrong but next post is closer and that does not apply to bait trappers commercially.

Offline Wild Turk

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 18, 2011, 08:18 PM »
Next link below is related to fishing.

Offline Dispy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 18, 2011, 11:47 PM »
Next link below is related to fishing.

Although I am not a lawyer, the second post of yours, to which I referred to,  does not apply either.

Offline bluecaddisfly

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • TIGHT LINES AND SMOOTH DRAGS
« Reply #14 on: Jan 19, 2011, 03:58 AM »
the easiest and best way to know is, call fish and game! a fish lite, may or may not be legal, but, i you are after crappies ater dark, you need a lite in the shack, and how do you prevent the lite from shining down the hole?  best bet, make a phone call to the people that enforce the laws, they may seem, out to get you, but, that only true if you cry "ignorence" as an alliby.

Offline Pail Rider

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 19, 2011, 06:35 AM »
i didnt see in the fishing regs anything about the legality of lights does anyone know what page thats on

PF, page 9 under unlawful actions.

I contacted F&G last year...AFTER purchasing a green submersible light for night jigging crappies.  According to Lt. Bryant, a light used for attracting fish is considered a "jack light", therefore illegal.

BTW....I have a nice submersible green light for sale  ;D  ;D  ;D

Offline deerme

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jan 19, 2011, 07:24 AM »
WTH!  crappie night fishing w/ lights is one of the most common night-fishing tactics nationwide - check out the crappie forum on this site!  i'm not one to complain (don't ask my wife about that), but i think that's a horrible rule.  i'm sure there are rational reasons for the law, but it is rather upsetting.

so much for my crappie candles!!!!!

Offline Pail Rider

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Jan 19, 2011, 08:07 AM »
I know BFM, I was pretty bent after conversing with the CO.  

Another thing I asked about....I "used" to tie a glow stick 10' above the sinker on my cusk lines.  I also asked Lt. Bryant about that too...and again, his interpretation of the law would be that I was using a "jack light" and therefore fishing illegally.  I figured I better stop while I was ahead....so I didn't ask about glow jigs.

Offline GetEskimo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 06, 2018, 01:41 PM »
I'm confused about salt waters, the law states "jack lights" are illegal in fresh waters but doesn't specifically mention salt water.

What's the difference between tuna anglers using under-glow to attract bait and someone using a green portable light for smelt fishing?

Offline bassin212

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Jan 07, 2018, 10:29 AM »
In terms of using glow in the dark jigs I funny enough was reading about tips for jigging for cusk at night and there is an article on F&G Website and I believed to be written possibly by a CO that mentions using directly from the article "Phosphorescent jigs, which emit light, can be highly effective."

Here is the Link http://www.wildlife.state.nh.us/fishing/cusk-fishing.html

Hope this helps.
Tight Lines!

Offline bassin212

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Jan 07, 2018, 10:31 AM »
Not a CO, a Large-Lakes Fisheries Biologist... my mistake.
Tight Lines!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.