Author Topic: boots  (Read 5183 times)

Offline whitewing

• Team IceShanty Addict
boots
« on: Nov 18, 2017, 04:24 PM »
Looking at new boots, checking reviews for Muck Boots Artic Pros. Some folks are saying they are fine (warm) if you're moving, but cold (toes) if you're sitting still. Any thoughts from wearers of said boots? Don't mind the $$- not cheap- if they are as good as Muck says they are

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: boots
« Reply #1 on: Nov 18, 2017, 04:52 PM »
I’m a Muck fan (most comfy boots I have had) and although I don’t have the Arctic Pros I do have a lesser insulated pair for hunting and with a good sock (Darn Tough are my favorite) they are quite warm while sitting. My brother, however, has the Arctic’s and he swears by them for the coldest tree stand hunting.

Offline Digs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Nov 18, 2017, 11:43 PM »
I have the arctic sport mucks and really like them. My feet rarely get cold.
Every fish is a good fish!

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 19, 2017, 04:21 AM »
WW, I have a pair and I need to move around a bit to stay warm enough. The biggest complaint with those boots is that there is no heel tab to assist in removal. I have bought a cheap boot jack to help get them off easier.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Nov 19, 2017, 07:11 AM »
Looking at new boots, checking reviews for Muck Boots Artic Pros. Some folks are saying they are fine (warm) if you're moving, but cold (toes) if you're sitting still. Any thoughts from wearers of said boots? Don't mind the $$- not cheap- if they are as good as Muck says they are

I suggest a size larger ...I wish I had on my Muck Artic Sports ...I like to wear a liner and a wool sock combo ..little tight ..not a lot of wiggle room if you stick with your regular boot size ..I wear a 10 in hiking boots ...I should of went with the 11 in my Mucks ...I do like the no lacing up part ..I don't have an issue with boot removal as others have stated...you could also add some other foot insole padding to add warmth. Also when sitting down on a bucket or chair I rest on my heels...wiggle my toes ...helps me a lot.

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/little-hotties-thermal-insoles?a=1772425

https://www.amazon.com/3M-Thinsulate-Thermal-Insole-THMW/dp/B007K97WS2/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1511096949&sr=8-3&keywords=thinsulate+insoles&dpID=41d2H41XyRL&preST=_SX342_QL70_&dpSrc=srch
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline meatandmetal

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Nov 19, 2017, 07:23 AM »
WW, I have a pair and I need to move around a bit to stay warm enough. The biggest complaint with those boots is that there is no heel tab to assist in removal. I have bought a cheap boot jack to help get them off easier.

I got some Kamik boots which are similar to the mucks except the bottom have more rubber which I thought and is better for the ice. I had to get a boot jack I pulled a "butt muscle" the first time I took them off after ice fishing limped around for 3 months. Rolling the tops down helps taking them off.

Offline wshnIwsfshn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Nov 19, 2017, 04:05 PM »
Take a look at sorel glaciers very good boot

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Nov 19, 2017, 04:21 PM »
I wear a 14 shoe and also wear a 14 muck Arctic Pro. Best boots I’ve ever owned (going on 4 seasons) and my feet are notorious for getting cold in the early fall. My feet do not get cold with these boots. I can get away with wearing just one pair of cotton socks if I wanted too but I instead wear an ultra-light thermal liner sock and over those I wear medium to heavy weight wool socks.

If i would have gone a size up I would have had too much boot. The 14’s leave my feet with enough room for socks and air movement. My feet stay warm sitting all day long.

It is entirely possible that people are wearing too much warmth and their feet begin to sweat then get cold so they chalk it up to crappy boots but in reality they don’t know how to properly dress their feet for cold weather. That’s why I wear liners and wool. The liner wicks the sweat away and the wool stays warm when it absorbs the moisture. The liner/wool combo is a great non-bulky setup.

I do have to add, If you end up getting the Arctic Pros, they are very slick on glare ice. That’s where my kahtoola micro spikes (xl) come in and with those on my mucks there’s no amount of ice that can stop me.
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline dickbaker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Nov 20, 2017, 07:33 AM »
Call me a tight wad ::) But  three years ago I won a pair of Kamik Icebreakers at a local fund raiser.
They noted the retail price at $55.   I already have a pair of Muck boots but I thought I would give the Kamiks a try for a bit of ice fishing.  For the last two winters they are all I have worn with one pair of Smart Wool socks.   I love them and they pull on and off with no effort.  I learned to hate the
Muck Boots after getting dozens of charlie/horses when trying to get them off after a day on the ice!
I leave my micro spikes on them all year so I expect to see the rubber crack this season and I plan to get another pair at the local Kamik dealer.  I still wear the Muck boots for deer season and bought a boot jack to help me get them off at the end of the day.   My wife tells me she is not a Squaw and will not pull my boots off at the end of a day.  That's because she loves Bambi?
Dick

Offline meatandmetal

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Nov 20, 2017, 07:50 AM »
Call me a tight wad ::) But  three years ago I won a pair of Kamik Icebreakers at a local fund raiser.
They noted the retail price at $55.   I already have a pair of Muck boots but I thought I would give the Kamiks a try for a bit of ice fishing.  For the last two winters they are all I have worn with one pair of Smart Wool socks.   I love them and they pull on and off with no effort.  I learned to hate the
Muck Boots after getting dozens of charlie/horses when trying to get them off after a day on the ice!
I leave my micro spikes on them all year so I expect to see the rubber crack this season and I plan to get another pair at the local Kamik dealer.  I still wear the Muck boots for deer season and bought a boot jack to help me get them off at the end of the day.   My wife tells me she is not a Squaw and will not pull my boots off at the end of a day.  That's because she loves Bambi?
Dick

Dick I used the same Kamiks for years and still do until I switched to the Kamik Huntsman for ice fishing. Nice to take the liners out of them to dry. Get a boot jack for your muck boots and roll the top down before you take them off. Let the Squaw make supper not pull your smelly boots off.  ;D

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #10 on: Nov 20, 2017, 08:03 AM »
I ice fish in all conditions.

Last season i bought the Sorel Intrepid Explorer XT. Although they claim to be 100% water proof, i believe they mean just the bottom. I did put them to the test. Above the rubber bottom after a while they did leak. Probably around the stitching. I'll put wax on them this season if possible or some type of silicone coating on them just to help.
On a positive note, they are very warm. I wear poly socks liner and then wool socks over them and never have been cold. I also use the Cabelas Trans Alaskan boot which is a warm boot too but again not water proof after a while.

I believe you need 2 sets of boots for ice fishing. A cold "dry" condition boot i.e.: Cold Snow or dry Ice. Both above boots fit these conditions. I look for a boot around or over -100f rated.
For cold wet water conditions, i believe you need a rubber boot, something around 1200 or higher grams of insulation. Preferably a 17" if not taller boot. There are a bunch of different brands out there. Problem is eventually they will crack at the flex points i.e.: Toes, Ankle etc....
With a rubber boot it is very important to wear a poly liner and wool to wick away moisture otherwise you will feel cold and wet. I've been almost up to my knees standing in water on the ice and my Sorels nor Cabelas trans alaskan boot would not of survived.

I dont believe there is a "one boot that does all" out there for ice fishing. 

Just my thoughts and how i handle boots for ice fishing. I do the same for my wife, She has 2 pairs for different conditions as well.
Yes it can be expensive having to buy 2 pairs of boots (buy one boot this season and buy the other next?), however my feet are worth it and it allows me to be on the ice in all conditions to fish or get stuff done in somewhat comfort. 

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #11 on: Nov 20, 2017, 08:37 AM »
Ive had the arctic sports and now pros.  Both were warm.  Both were warm.  Both crack eventually and leak.  The sports did well off season, better than the pros which surprisingly did not hold up as well.  Ill need a new pair this season...

Offline Knot there yet

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Sub Zero Mafia Ice Team
« Reply #12 on: Nov 20, 2017, 09:35 AM »
Three pair
 Sorel extreme
 LLBean sub-zero pack boot
 Mickey Mouse boots

Sorel have great support and warmth(if it’s a hike)
 LL Bean very tall but no ankle support (deep snow)
 MM super dry and warm. (Water on top)
Mmy$.02

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Nov 20, 2017, 01:11 PM »
I ice fish in all conditions.

Last season i bought the Sorel Intrepid Explorer XT. Although they claim to be 100% water proof, i believe they mean just the bottom. I did put them to the test. Above the rubber bottom after a while they did leak. Probably around the stitching. I'll put wax on them this season if possible or some type of silicone coating on them just to help.
On a positive note, they are very warm. I wear poly socks liner and then wool socks over them and never have been cold. I also use the Cabelas Trans Alaskan boot which is a warm boot too but again not water proof after a while.

I believe you need 2 sets of boots for ice fishing. A cold "dry" condition boot i.e.: Cold Snow or dry Ice. Both above boots fit these conditions. I look for a boot around or over -100f rated.
For cold wet water conditions, i believe you need a rubber boot, something around 1200 or higher grams of insulation. Preferably a 17" if not taller boot. There are a bunch of different brands out there. Problem is eventually they will crack at the flex points i.e.: Toes, Ankle etc....
With a rubber boot it is very important to wear a poly liner and wool to wick away moisture otherwise you will feel cold and wet. I've been almost up to my knees standing in water on the ice and my Sorels nor Cabelas trans alaskan boot would not of survived.

I dont believe there is a "one boot that does all" out there for ice fishing. 

Just my thoughts and how i handle boots for ice fishing. I do the same for my wife, She has 2 pairs for different conditions as well.
Yes it can be expensive having to buy 2 pairs of boots (buy one boot this season and buy the other next?), however my feet are worth it and it allows me to be on the ice in all conditions to fish or get stuff done in somewhat comfort. 

I agree with everything you said here and I will only add this... boots are hard to recommend to anyone. For instance, I could never wear a pair of -100 boots, I'd be growing mushrooms down there. My feet would probably sweat and overheat on the surface of the moon at 300 degrees below zero. But I certainly agree about 2 different pairs or maybe even 3. I use a Lacrosse Alpha Burly for rubber boots, a pair of Baffin Titans for 90% of my fishing and some much lighter Baffins (not sure the model?) for warmer days.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #14 on: Nov 20, 2017, 01:15 PM »
Gee I am with you.  These things are unfortunately for some, best figured out via trial and error. 

Offline Nosaj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Nov 20, 2017, 01:46 PM »
I had a pair of Arctic Pro's that lasted 3 years.  I really liked the fit of the pro's however my feet would get cold sometimes.  Since the Pro's wore out in 3 years and were a little on the cold side I decided to try something different this time.  I just bought a pair of Baffin Titans and tried them out in the tree stand this weekend and they were really warm so I know they will be fine on the ice.  As one person said on another post, they are more like walking in a slipper than a boot in that they do not have the support that the pro's provide.  The looseness of the boot was not a problem with 1/2 mile hike to the stand so they should be fine on the ice.  I am not sure that they will be any more durable than the pros, but we will see.   

Offline NHFishah

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Card carrying member of "TEAM FLATLANDER"
« Reply #16 on: Nov 20, 2017, 01:58 PM »
I have the Cabela's Predator™ Extreme Pac Boots, they look really heavy, but they are actually pretty light, and very warm.

Offline Sandalsnsocks

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Nov 20, 2017, 02:02 PM »
Anyone found a boot that works for someone with really wide feet? 6E is often too narrow for me
Easy does it.
Let them go so they can grow.

Offline JTrottaNY

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • NYS Licensed Guide
« Reply #18 on: Nov 20, 2017, 02:06 PM »
Just stumbled across this thread... I have a pair of cabelas boa inferno boots size 10 for $100 (plus actual shipping). I'm normally 10.5 wide, bought these thinking they would work but my toes are tight with winter socks. I now wear 11s and they are great.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/CABELAS-MENS-BOA-INFERNO-PAC-BOOT/1853275.uts
NYS Licensed Guide

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Nov 20, 2017, 04:03 PM »
Anyone found a boot that works for someone with really wide feet? 6E is often too narrow for me

If a 6E is too narrow you’re in trouble! Last three pairs of shoes/boots I bought were 6E from a combination of Zappo’s and Work Boots USA. These online stores allow you to search by size. I have bunions and just had surgery on one foot last winter and needed something wide to be comfy...good luck!

Offline HuntnFish603

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If I can hunt it, or fish it....I'M THERE!
« Reply #20 on: Nov 20, 2017, 06:34 PM »
Lotta great input here, guess i'll add my 2 cents.
I love the Muck Arctic Pros. Wickid comfy, wickid warm. The pair i have now have lasted 3 years, no leakage. They can be a little tough to get off sometimes, but who cares. If they keep my feet warm and dry for 10 hours in the slush at 5 degrees, its worth it.
I also agree with those that say there is no 1 ice fishing boot. I have different pairs for different conditions.
Like Jiggin said, a pair for dry cold conditions, and a pair for wet days.
For me its: Sorel Felt Pacs for cooooold conditions, Muck Arctic Pros for any and all other days.
- In every walk with nature, every hunt, every fishing trip....one receives far more than he seeks.

Offline Nosaj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Nov 21, 2017, 04:35 AM »

See if you can find the Titans in a 6e, the liner is very thick and soft.  They are like wearing a slipper.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #22 on: Nov 21, 2017, 05:29 AM »
Just a note re arctic pros.....If I had only used them in winter I am sure they would have lasted...but they are nice to have at those shallow boat launches... ;D

One thing that can be said too...regardless of what boot your wearing....no cotton socks! 

Offline meatandmetal

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Nov 21, 2017, 06:19 AM »
Just a heads up a few years ago I ordered some Ice Force bibs which fit me perfect but there was a problem. The bottom of the bibs wouldn't zipper over my Baffin pac boots so I ordered some Kamik muck type boots which work fine. So you might want to keep this in mind when looking for new boots.

Offline Mancaveburnett

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Nov 21, 2017, 10:47 AM »
I just picked up a pair of muck artic pros and the guy gave me a tip, dont wear cotton socks because of the rubber wear a sock that wicks away sweat. According to the guy that will prevent your feet from getting cold and bad odors.

Offline jmamos52

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Nov 30, 2017, 10:16 AM »
I have had grat luck with LaCrosse Alpha Burly's.. warmest ever at 1800 grams (you can get them with less too) and they're high which is key for those slushy days we all hate. Good luck. J

Offline jibbs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • C:\Documents and Settings\jgirard\My Documents\My
« Reply #26 on: Nov 30, 2017, 10:56 AM »
big fan of the artic  muck boots...I have been wearing them for the last 5 years or so...I was nervous about  no lining but no problems at all..
when chuck norris played golf for money, chuck marked down a hole in zero every time, the golf pro said, "chuck: you can't score zero on a hole." Chuck norris turned towards the man and said, "I'm chuck norris, the man proceeded to pour gas over his body and set himself on fire because that would be less painful than getting roundhouse kicked by chuck norris....chuck norris roundhouse kicked him in the face anyways

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Dec 01, 2017, 07:33 AM »
big fan of the artic  muck boots...I have been wearing them for the last 5 years or so...I was nervous about  no lining but no problems at all..

I wish sooooo bad I could wear Mucks but they don't make them to fit around my crazy calf muscles. There are people with smaller waists than my calf muscles.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline mvanhank222

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Dec 01, 2017, 07:42 AM »
I would highly recommend Baffin trappers. Light, comfortable, warm, roomy, and you can get bibs around them. Also you can find them well under $100 I think mine were $75 3 years ago and have held up very well.

Offline Bearseatfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Dec 01, 2017, 07:56 AM »
Field & Stream Men’s Swamptracker Waterproof 1000g Insulated Rubber Hunting Boots. The 1000g of Thinsulate best boots I have ever owned under $100 my feet have stayed warm standing in 5" of slush and water and also in -15' .
In winter we become gods and walk on water....

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.