New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Corn!  (Read 3514 times)

Offline Ice Chipper

• Team IceShanty Regular
Corn!
« on: Nov 14, 2017, 12:16 PM »
Does anyone use corn on their jigs? I saw on You Tube where they were mixing the whole kernel corn with some kind of red dye.      ;D

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Corn!
« Reply #1 on: Nov 14, 2017, 12:22 PM »
Corn isn't recommended for fish bait.
If the fish eat a few pieces of it it expands in their stomach and can kill the fish.
Most likely smaller fish are more likely to be effected by it those ones we keep releasing.
I won't ever use it.
Maybe the odds of that are low but I have plenty of other bait options that are cheap and effective that won't kill the fish.
KasilofChrisN
"I listen to the voices in my tackle box"

Offline FG Steve

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Nov 14, 2017, 01:04 PM »
Corn isn't recommended for fish bait.
If the fish eat a few pieces of it it expands in their stomach and can kill the fish.

I understand that there are other opinions and it can be hard to determine the truth, but I'm convinced that lethal corn is a myth.  Apparently the Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission is with me:

http://www.fishandboat.com/Transact/AnglerBoater/LegacyIssues/2000s/Documents/11november-december2001.pdf (see p. 7)
http://articles.mcall.com/1992-11-01/sports/2889253_1_rainbow-trout-corn-bait

Fifty-four days on a corn diet with zero mortality.

Does anyone use corn on their jigs? I saw on You Tube where they were mixing the whole kernel corn with some kind of red dye.      ;D

I use it on my deadstick rigs with night crawlers all the time.  I tip jigs with mealworms instead.  Never tried any dyed corn.
 Happiness is a wife who can outfish you.

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 14, 2017, 02:28 PM »
I understand that there are other opinions and it can be hard to determine the truth, but I'm convinced that lethal corn is a myth.  Apparently the Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission is with me:

http://www.fishandboat.com/Transact/AnglerBoater/LegacyIssues/2000s/Documents/11november-december2001.pdf (see p. 7)
http://articles.mcall.com/1992-11-01/sports/2889253_1_rainbow-trout-corn-bait

Fifty-four days on a corn diet with zero mortality.

I use it on my deadstick rigs with night crawlers all the time.  I tip jigs with mealworms instead.  Never tried any dyed corn.
Thats good to know.
I was always told corn was bad and never heard of a study that proved otherwise until now.
I just finished cutting up a pound of raw shrimp for bait. Dyed some using pro cures Bad Azz (yes that's how they spell it) bait dye and some I added Mikes glo shrimp scent. The rest I left plain.
A little over $6 for 16 containers of bait with ~ 40 baits each.
I'm ok paying $.01 per bait.
Though corn would likely be cheaper.
I do like the Bad Azz bait dyes if your looking to dye your corn.
KasilofChrisN
"I listen to the voices in my tackle box"

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Nov 14, 2017, 03:27 PM »

It is legal in ny to use corn , pg 54

Offline Big Ice Hole

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Nov 14, 2017, 04:05 PM »
We used to use it years ago for trout fishing until I caught my brother eating the bait! 😄
Born to fish, Forced to work.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6 on: Nov 14, 2017, 04:15 PM »
We used to use it years ago for trout fishing until I caught my brother eating the bait! 😄
Lol 😜

Offline bowski76

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Nov 15, 2017, 10:04 AM »
I bought corn beads and strung 3 right above my hook with a live minnow below.
Of the 5 tip ups I use, 2 have corn beads and 3 have red beads. The corn is way out performing the red beads, maybe just a coincidence.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #8 on: Nov 15, 2017, 10:44 AM »
What are you guys fishin' for, carp?  >:D A can of sweet corn goes a long way for those guys...
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline bowski76

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Nov 15, 2017, 12:52 PM »
The trout and pike seem to like corn too!

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #10 on: Nov 15, 2017, 05:39 PM »
Pike? Really? I am intrigued! Tell me more...
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline RIVERRAT2

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • try to fish over 200 days a year,have cut back now
« Reply #11 on: Nov 16, 2017, 08:20 AM »
What are you guys fishin' for, carp?  >:D A can of sweet corn goes a long way for those guys...
use it all the time for carp,works great
 ;D ;D ;D
RAT
I LOVE FISHING.IT IS A FULLTIME JOB

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Nov 19, 2017, 05:45 PM »
White Shoepeg corn in a can used to be a favorite bait for kokanee.  For trout, some guys, maybe slightly more ethical, would use the juice from a can of sweet corn as a dispersed chum. Illegal as hell in Colorado, but around here doing illegal stuff is pretty standard policy.
We're born, we live for a while, and then we die.  Sounds like a good reason to go ice fishing.
                                                               Stinky

Offline bowski76

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Nov 27, 2017, 01:38 PM »
Pike? Really? I am intrigued! Tell me more...

Here's a pic of a small pike I caught with a sucker minnow with corn beads above the hook, I'll have to remember to show the corn in all of my pics!

Offline skinny4

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Nov 28, 2017, 06:23 PM »
I'll be out there dropping handfulls of corn in the holes and setting tipups on them as soon as i get some ice on these small ponds around the developments near me. About the only fish in there worth catching. Them carp are good fighters and just huge threw a small hole. Im gonna target them and channel cats hard if i get a chance. There are huge carp everywhere. You can get 50lbs of dried sweet corn at a feed store for $10. Strawberry jello is what most use for dye some mix with anise or shrimp oil or any other scent. Dont be suprized when you catch a pike or bass on it. Also jig near it to pick up the panfish or predators. In states where its illegal to chum its mixed with a sticky ingredient to get a giant ball of bait that is packed around a baited hook and sinker so it disolves and basically chums around your rig. Chumming is not illegal here except fish eggs

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.