New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Nils Auger Blade!  (Read 1799 times)

Offline Ice Chipper

• Team IceShanty Regular
Nils Auger Blade!
« on: Nov 29, 2017, 07:29 PM »
I just ordered a 6" Nils auger blade from Marine General for $64.95. No tax and free shipping. I have wanted a spare just in case. Frank DeLuca told me that Marine General had them and I have been searching prices between them and Cabelas.  Cabelas would have been $76.48 total. Marine General is extending black Friday with the free shipping over $50.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Nils Auger Blade!
« Reply #1 on: Nov 29, 2017, 07:52 PM »
Good post...Ill have to see if they have an 8 with the powerpoint.

Offline Ziehnertfish007

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Nov 30, 2017, 08:04 PM »
i have had serious issues with the Nils ice blades. I got a nils two years ago and the first season it was awesome. Super smooth cutting and super fast. The blade eventually got one tiny chip in it and it went completely dull. So i ordered one at cabelas last year and the thing worked for one trip. It went completely dull in one trip. So i returned it and got another blade from cabelas and the same thing happened. So i sent it back to cabelas and eventually they sent me a brand new strike master lazer ice auger for all the issues i had with the nils. So i got to talking to someone who knew a lot about nils and apparently if those blades touch any ice/dirt mixed into the ice the blades dull (He compared it to cutting into sandpaper). I was fishing fairly close to a beach that may have had sand blowing onto the ice, but this is a warning to anyone fishing off of beaches. We will see how the strike master does this year. I loved the nils the first year, but now it seems like it is too much of a hassle. 

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #3 on: Nov 30, 2017, 08:39 PM »
That's why some augers use chipper blades.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #4 on: Nov 30, 2017, 08:48 PM »
i have had serious issues with the Nils ice blades. I got a nils two years ago and the first season it was awesome. Super smooth cutting and super fast. The blade eventually got one tiny chip in it and it went completely dull. So i ordered one at cabelas last year and the thing worked for one trip. It went completely dull in one trip. So i returned it and got another blade from cabelas and the same thing happened. So i sent it back to cabelas and eventually they sent me a brand new strike master lazer ice auger for all the issues i had with the nils. So i got to talking to someone who knew a lot about nils and apparently if those blades touch any ice/dirt mixed into the ice the blades dull (He compared it to cutting into sandpaper). I was fishing fairly close to a beach that may have had sand blowing onto the ice, but this is a warning to anyone fishing off of beaches. We will see how the strike master does this year. I loved the nils the first year, but now it seems like it is too much of a hassle.

I've had a nils 3 yrs now and haven't had to sharpen the head.....the lazer would dull just has quick.

Offline pmaloney86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 01, 2017, 11:41 AM »
That is my biggest complaint about the Ion.  I really wish it had a chipper style blade bc I'm on my 5th set of blades in 4 years.  If there is dirty ice it is going to mess up the blade unless it is a chipper.  The only saving grace is that the blades can be had for about $30.  I just wish on a piece of equipment that costs over $500 you'd get something that wouldn't have these issues.
westernmas on the finder

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #6 on: Dec 01, 2017, 10:37 PM »
That is my biggest complaint about the Ion.  I really wish it had a chipper style blade bc I'm on my 5th set of blades in 4 years.  If there is dirty ice it is going to mess up the blade unless it is a chipper.  The only saving grace is that the blades can be had for about $30.  I just wish on a piece of equipment that costs over $500 you'd get something that wouldn't have these issues.

Put a k drill on the ion head.

Online filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7 on: Dec 02, 2017, 03:01 AM »
I am familiar with sand as we use to fish sandy pond and properly named
Ripper teeth Are really the only way to go in that situation
Or you can take and resharpen the dull ones and rotate them it would save some coin

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.