Author Topic: Clam Drill Plate Trigger Modification  (Read 348 times)

defiant1

• Team IceShanty Regular
Clam Drill Plate Trigger Modification
« on: Nov 14, 2017, 10:15 AM »
I saw this modification on FB and figured I would install it on my Clam drill plate. I use a M18 Milwaukee Drill with Kdrill auger. I do like the controlled action of the Clam Plate trigger bar modification much better than the loose tolerance factory specs.

The parts (approximately $6 worth) used are (can get at Menards):
 Qty: 1 - Handi-Pak Compression spring 1/2x3-9/16: Part #88271
 Qty: 2 - Handi-Pak 3/8" Shaft Collar with Set Screw Part #83942
 Optional: Stainless steel washers 3/8" and lock-tite for set screws.

d1

Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Clam Drill Plate Trigger Modification
« Reply #1 on: Nov 14, 2017, 10:23 AM »
Looks pretty good... I was going to do something similar, but I found an easier route...

Here's mine...

Parts list...

1 rubber bushing... ;)

<)))>{

hardwater diehard

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Nov 14, 2017, 10:30 AM »
I like both those ideas ...for those with a Home Depot near by you may have it shipped to store

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Climax-3-8-in-Bore-Zinc-Plated-Mild-Steel-Set-Screw-Collar-C-037/203025018?MERCH=REC-_-SearchPLPHorizontal1_rr-_-NA-_-203025018-_-N

I believe you could find the spring at your local HD
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

defiant1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Nov 14, 2017, 10:33 AM »
Looks pretty good... I was going to do something similar, but I found an easier route...

Here's mine...

Parts list...

1 rubber bushing... ;)

<)))>{

Yep, definitely different ways to tackle it.  Or do nothing at all, as the modification isn't necessary, but I feel it makes a better end product.  I do like the resistance in the spring as it gives me feedback, takes the play out of the trigger bar and returns trigger bar to the same spot every time.

d1

Deal Ninja

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Nov 14, 2017, 11:16 AM »
I used one of the big rubber bands that you get when you buy broccoli. ;D

You can see it on the lower right side of the plate.  The round red and white thing is my bubble level so I can drill straight. ;D

DN
DON'T DILLY DALLY!!!   ;D

hardwater diehard

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Nov 14, 2017, 11:24 AM »
I used one of the big rubber bands that you get when you buy broccoli. ;D

DN

That's a nifty idea ...I have several ...use them on my H style tip ups as hook holders . That's going GREEN X2
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Nov 14, 2017, 11:34 AM »
but I feel it makes a better end product.  I do like the resistance in the spring as it gives me feedback, takes the play out of the trigger bar and returns trigger bar to the same spot every time.

d1

I agree...

Mine is set up just the same.. I didn't like pulling in the trigger while waiting for the moment when it would jump to life.. Now I know, exactly when..

Set up as stock, just felt distant from the drills power, like pulling a lever, that pushed a button, that turned a....

Set up like we have, just feels more like one tool, opposed to a tool, running a tool...

Good luck this season!

<)))>{

defiant1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Nov 14, 2017, 11:42 AM »
I agree...

Mine is set up just the same.. I didn't like pulling in the trigger while waiting for the moment when it would jump to life.. Now I know, exactly when..

Set up as stock, just felt distant from the drills power, like pulling a lever, that pushed a button, that turned a....

Set up like we have, just feels more like one tool, opposed to a tool, running a tool...

Good luck this season!

<)))>{

Well said.  Good luck to you as well.

ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Nov 17, 2017, 05:57 PM »
 i did something very similar with a washer welded to a bolt attached to a spring.  works great.

Follow Iceshanty at Twitter Iceshanty Facebook Page Iceshanty Youtube Channel
Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.