Author Topic: Mods for shappell dx3000 or 4000?  (Read 1727 times)

Offline Just a random icefisherma

• IceShanty Rookie
Mods for shappell dx3000 or 4000?
« on: Nov 13, 2017, 09:34 PM »
I have a shappell dx3000,  and I want to know if anyone has been able to do any mods. Thanks.

The inside looks like this.
"I love the freedoms we got in this country, I appreciate your freedom to burn your flag if you want to, but I really appreciate my right to bear arms so I can shoot you if you try to burn mine."
-Johnny Cash

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
Re: Mods for shappell dx3000 or 4000?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 14, 2017, 12:09 AM »
some made top shelves for over the hatches.

i made wind bars that run length wise using emt conduit and shappells clips they sell. i picked up a few more of the roof bows and windows while getting the clips.

get some silicone spray where the conduit comes apart and has the bungee keeping it together. it likes to freeze up when running a heater.

i made holes in the outer four corners of the plastic base so i can run eskimo ice anchors on the inside so it can't blow away.

add some smd5050 string led lights on a remote dimmer controller for low light and night time fishing.

Offline straightShot

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 16, 2017, 08:03 PM »
I added two pieces of webbing with Velcro sewed onto each piece and a grommet in each one to hold the corners together when they're joined together.  When I pull the straps apart and open the shanty, I sink an Eskimo anchor through the grommet in each strap so that he wind doesn't send my shanty down the ice when I'm not in it.

This picture shows one of the corners before the shanty is opened. They're only next to each other when the shanty is folded and closed up tight. Each strap and grommet will each be on opposite ends when the shanty is unfolded and on the ice. 

Offline straightShot

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Nov 16, 2017, 08:06 PM »
I took some shock cord and the little black balls that are used for tents and such to hold my overhead poles together.  I had one or two fall out of the shanty when they were in the shanty loose and I was moving the shanty, and I don't want that to happen again.

Offline straightShot

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 16, 2017, 08:17 PM »
I also added some rod holders that I can take apart when I fold things up.  I don't fish from them, but they come in handy so that I don't tangle my lines and have a place for extra rods that are ready to go.  The end caps are permanently mounted to the floor, and the pvc pulls out so that I can fold the shanty when I'm ready to leave.  I leaned the caps in ever so slightly to keep the poles off of the side wall of the canvas, but not so far as to bother me when I'm sitting and fishing.

I also added a light with a switch to one of the plastic crossmembers that add headroom to the shack.

All of these mods were easy, inexpensive, and took a little time, but they all make everything just a little bit better.

Have fun!  Hope that I helped!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.