Author Topic: Soliciting Early Ice Advice  (Read 1109 times)

Offline dntbeamenace4031

• Team IceShanty Regular
Soliciting Early Ice Advice
« on: Nov 09, 2017, 07:56 PM »
I've got the fever.  Yes I know I'm going to hike to catch little brookies but I'm ready nonetheless.  My plan is to hit a lake not too far out I-70 first thing Saturday AM to shake the dust off, then maybe head to one of my more remote spots by Winter Park or even the Gore Range late morning. 

Question is - for the first lake should I do SMG, or see if I can get to the last gate and hike to LL (same area)?  I have a Tacoma TRD so I'm pretty sure I can make it about as far as any other vehicle.  Did I miss another early ice option?   Anyone have much experience at LL in the winter?

Suggestions welcomed, if anyone's interested in joining send me a PM.  Wherever I go the fish won't be as big as Slayers'  ;) >:(

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: Soliciting Early Ice Advice
« Reply #1 on: Nov 09, 2017, 08:01 PM »
SMG def frozen. LL would be a fun adventure. Its real deep so maybe iffy? Maybe OG off I-70? Monarch lake?
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline da_teacher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 09, 2017, 11:40 PM »
SMG should be ready. LL is a biatch of a hike but for lakers in early November -- might be worth a shot but it is a deep lake. FR is a cool spot with some beautiful little cutties.

Wonder if OG is ready. Just looked at the weather and it definitely could be. What about Golden Gate?

Offline geo1616

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Nov 10, 2017, 08:54 AM »
would anyone mind telling me what "smg" and "ll" stand for? I've been trying to find first ice somewhere but i'm a bit of a nooby. if these are Secret abbreviations, No problem, I understand.

thanks! ;D

Offline IFF

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Nov 10, 2017, 11:06 AM »
SMG Saint Mary's Glasier
Bud

Offline dntbeamenace4031

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Nov 10, 2017, 11:30 AM »
Great advice gentlemen, I knew I could count on you.  SMG I know very well that's probably the easiest and guaranteed ice.....

geo im heading up early if your interested.  you need a few more posts before you can send personal messages.  please dont take the abbreviations too personally, most of us prefer to fish without the population of metro denver on the same few acres.

IFF - any chance you have been over by Cataract recently?  I think you prev mentioned being in that area, wondering if that last gate is still open (or just snow in general in the Gore Range).

Offline geo1616

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Nov 10, 2017, 11:55 AM »
thank for the advice and i completely understand. i'm thinking about heading out somewhere on Sunday. how are the roads up there? is there any hiking required?

Offline da_teacher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Nov 10, 2017, 11:58 AM »
Thinking about SMG -- it's a short hike but there's a decent incline.  I haven't done it in a few years.  I want to ice this weekend but definitely need a solid confirmation about SMG -- it's the closest to me, even with the hike that might have fishable ice.

Offline Bigassbassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New home, MA-->CO
« Reply #8 on: Nov 10, 2017, 12:34 PM »
SMH, OMG, LOL, ROFL  :roflmao:  SMG, LL, OG --- fun with abbreviations.  ;D  No definitive news on lids on any of those yet.  Take a spud and be safe!!
Flags up, gentlemen!!!

Offline dntbeamenace4031

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Nov 10, 2017, 02:49 PM »
very good chance I'm hiking to take open water casts at either location, I guess the hope is it's locked up or it isnt at all.  Unfortunately I'm travelling for work the next two weeks so my next real shot is post Thanksgiving...

i make no representations about ice safety and anyone decides to venture out you should absolutely USE EXTREME caution.  spuds, picks, flotation, partners etc.  I will bump this gentlemen's thread from UT board:

https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=319518.0

Offline Bigassbassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New home, MA-->CO
« Reply #10 on: Nov 10, 2017, 04:09 PM »
SMG and others close by are most likely good to go --- high temps have barely been above freezing for past week.

Flags up, gentlemen!!!

Offline Lamar84

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Nov 10, 2017, 06:07 PM »
For what it's worth evergreen has had ice on it in the mornings but it's all melted off by noon. I called the ranger station on Thursday about LL and they said the road is closed at the C gate, so it's a bit of a hike just to get in there, there is snow, and they were unsure if the lake was frozen. This assumes that my LL is the same as your LL. I have to think anything above 11K feet is close to ready but always be safe. Last year I got hooked in ice fishing and this year I'm so pumped to get out there.

Offline mtman12672

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Nov 11, 2017, 04:42 PM »
Slough in GOlden Gate is close, but not ready yet.  Ice across whole pond except by Inlet area.  About 1-2" this just along shoreline that I could break through.  Kriley was 3/4 open with just skim ice along shore and by parking lot.

Offline ShuMugen

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Nov 13, 2017, 04:29 PM »
I've Heard of report of some one icing lake trout already. words spread fast when you work part time at a retail store.  ;)
/

Sponsors: OstarMotorSports /1320DTR / Team Shinobi

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.