Author Topic: Lakemaster VS. Navionics Maps  (Read 3485 times)

Offline Herms

• Team IceShanty Regular
Lakemaster VS. Navionics Maps
« on: Oct 30, 2017, 12:03 PM »
So I tried to do some searching before I posted this but didn't find whole lot comparing the 2.  I'm in South East  South Dakota and do most of my fishing in state and in Minnesota.  I'm wondering what everyone's opinion of the 2 cards are.  It seems like the hummingbird maps look a little better but I would need 2 cards while the Navionics has one that would cover both areas. 

I'd love to hear pros/cons of the 2.  Also this will be going into the Helix 7 ice.  So it will be the micro sd card reader.

Offline bigstorm

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Lakemaster VS. Navionics Maps
« Reply #1 on: Oct 30, 2017, 12:13 PM »
I cant only comment on the difference between the 2 for lakes in WI. The Lakemaster is much better regarding accuracy and detail compared to the Navionics. I use the Lakemaster in my HB 597 from the boat, power it on my ATV. My brother has both Navionics and Lakemaster in his boat, so you can compare them side by side between his Lowrance and HB units.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #2 on: Oct 30, 2017, 01:42 PM »
I would look at both brands to see their lake lists for the states you fish and which lakes are high def with 1 foot contours. Usually lakes that have been surveyed for mapping purposes should be high definition. I have Humminbirds wirh Lakemaster chips for ND, SD and NEB as I don't fish in MN. A lot of the maps on the chip are the same as the printed maps I get from G,F&P.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Oct 30, 2017, 03:30 PM »
For where I fish, lakemaster and chartselect are the only options - navionics doesn't have coverage

Navionics was just bought out by Garmin for what its worth

Catchin' Fish

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #4 on: Oct 30, 2017, 04:18 PM »
I ran the LM Chip PLUS WI last weekend for the first time. The contours were damn near spot on to the depth on my sonar when I split screened them.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #5 on: Nov 01, 2017, 08:57 AM »
I use Humminbird Helix Chirp units and Lakemaster Plus map chips. If the water level of a lake doesn't match the depth shown on the map I can change the map to match the current water level. Makes the maps very accurate.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline Herms

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Nov 02, 2017, 12:04 PM »
Well it seems like a pretty decent consensus that Lakemaster while being more expensive give more detailed information and seems to have more information available in general.  I will have to start scooping out ebay for a deal on them.  If anyone else has more information please drop your opinion and I will also update this once I've had some experience with it also.

Offline Junkie4Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Nov 02, 2017, 01:16 PM »
Probably a dumb question...but I have navionics on my phone and paid the $10 to upgrade the maps. Is this what everyone is talking about when they reference Navionics or is there an actual chip that can be purchased and put into a GPS unit? And as for the Lakemaster chips, do the chips strictly need to go in some sort of unit or is there a way to use them on a mobile phone too?
Da Pack!

Offline Herms

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Nov 02, 2017, 03:47 PM »
What were talking about here is the actual chip you would put into a gps/flasher.  Im not positive if you can download something for your phone or not as far as the lakemaster goes.  Ive used the navionics app for mobile before.

Offline rickwalley

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Nov 02, 2017, 05:29 PM »
Humminbird  does now allow Lakemaster maps for your smartphone.
Also, if you've already purchased maps within your account, you  don't need to buy them again for your phone.

https://chartselect.humminbird.com/fishsmart

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.