Author Topic: Waubay area Lakes and Sloughs  (Read 3368 times)

Offline IceAddict87

• Team IceShanty Addict
Waubay area Lakes and Sloughs
« on: Oct 02, 2017, 10:05 PM »
Finally able to take the trip up to your glacial lakes area this winter. Right now we have a couple sleepers reserved in the waubay area (the outfit moves the shacks to the lakes that are producing) I know it will be on waubay, bitter or pickerel I believe. Will be up in the the middle of January for 3 days of fishing. We are looking to find some perch mostly but I enjoy panfish as well, hoping for a few walleyes as well. Most of the guys will stay close to the sleepers but a few of us will venture out in portables during the day. Would love some direction in navigating some of the smaller sloughs and lakes that have limited information on the internet. I am not afraid to work for fish but this is a trip I have been wanting to take for a few years so I would hate to look aimlessly. I don't want your honey holes just some direction. Feel free to PM if you don't want to give up your spots publicly, I know I wouldn't.

Thanks in advance! Very excited to chase those perch!

Offline Lyontyl

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Waubay area Lakes and Sloughs
« Reply #1 on: Oct 03, 2017, 02:40 PM »
First thing to consider is whether January is the best time to go.  I understand that time is never on a group's side since sometime that's the only time to go but if it isn't I would definitely recommend adjusting to earlier in the season or later.  Like December or March.  Typically seems the perch bite is much better at those time because they haven't quite broken up from their giant schools.

Secondly, start your search here.  Hopefully they will updated with their individual lake surveys later in the year:
http://gfp.sd.gov/fishing-boating/tacklebox/lake-surveys/northeast-lakes/default.aspx

Also, one mistake we always make is not talking to the bait shop the first day we get in.  Make it a point to talk to the bait shop sometime on the first day.  They will give you a lot of insight as to where people are fishing and where to start.

We are heading up the weekend before Xmas.

Offline Ranger619

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Oct 31, 2017, 08:08 AM »
Iceaddict from our experience at that time of year which we’ve done the last couple years Waubay will be good. We’ve found where moving a lot can be good and staying put can be good. Since you have some guys willing to search that’ll help. You’ll see the crowds of fisherman so you’ll get a general idea of where the bite is but we tend to stay away from those groups somewhat. Hopefully your hut operator has a good idea on “where”. We’ve done well on Bitter for the end of day walleye bite but be prepared that lake can have a city bigger than Webster of ice castles on it everyday. It’s a site to see. But you can definitely get away from those crowds and have a good bite. Just get your Navionics app going on your phone and check out the break lines. And definitely talk to Doug @ Sportsman Cove. Good Luck
Fish as much as you can we're not here forever!

Otter Cottage Pro X Over
Marcum LX9 LX7 LX3
Thorne Bros,G Austin & TUCR Rods
Striker Lite Flite Milwaukee Fuel M18

Suzuki 750 King Quad W/Otter Monster Box

Offline Junkie4Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Oct 31, 2017, 08:28 AM »
Finally able to take the trip up to your glacial lakes area this winter. Right now we have a couple sleepers reserved in the waubay area (the outfit moves the shacks to the lakes that are producing) I know it will be on waubay, bitter or pickerel I believe. Will be up in the the middle of January for 3 days of fishing. We are looking to find some perch mostly but I enjoy panfish as well, hoping for a few walleyes as well. Most of the guys will stay close to the sleepers but a few of us will venture out in portables during the day. Would love some direction in navigating some of the smaller sloughs and lakes that have limited information on the internet. I am not afraid to work for fish but this is a trip I have been wanting to take for a few years so I would hate to look aimlessly. I don't want your honey holes just some direction. Feel free to PM if you don't want to give up your spots publicly, I know I wouldn't.

Thanks in advance! Very excited to chase those perch!

When will you be there? We have a group of 4 heading there January 12-14 with JRs. I'm pretty sure he'll have us on Waubay but we'll also be jumping around trying to find the fish.
Da Pack!

Offline diesel2012

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 04, 2017, 12:55 AM »
Made a few trips up north before. Best thing to do is stop in Sportsman's and ask them. They will usually put you on a slough or two that are going pretty good. Since the hot sloughs change up every year that's your best bet. 

Offline IceAddict87

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Nov 04, 2017, 08:47 AM »
When will you be there? We have a group of 4 heading there January 12-14 with JRs. I'm pretty sure he'll have us on Waubay but we'll also be jumping around trying to find the fish.

January 11-14. Right now we have a dozen people going. We’ve got 2 shacks and House reserved on pickerel lake (ever fished it?) I would say about half the group will stay in the sleepers most of the time. Planning to get up there midmorning on Thursday, first stop will be sportsman’s cove. First time fishing the area for the entire group so we will need all the help we can get!

Offline Junkie4Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Nov 07, 2017, 09:13 AM »
January 11-14. Right now we have a dozen people going. We’ve got 2 shacks and House reserved on pickerel lake (ever fished it?) I would say about half the group will stay in the sleepers most of the time. Planning to get up there midmorning on Thursday, first stop will be sportsman’s cove. First time fishing the area for the entire group so we will need all the help we can get!

It'll be our first time out there too, we just have 4 guys going with one shack. I'm pretty sure we'll be on Waubay but he hasn't told us for sure yet. Pickerel is one of the lakes I've been looking at hopping around on. I'll shoot ya a PM if we make it over that way!
Da Pack!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.