Author Topic: [2017 Ice Fishing Picture Contest]  (Read 18822 times)

Offline tbern

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: [2017 Ice Fishing Picture Contest]
« Reply #90 on: Nov 14, 2017, 09:31 AM »
LOL !!!

Offline WalleyeAdventurer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #91 on: Nov 15, 2017, 03:09 PM »
The day acpchuck caught his biggest rainbow yet, >6 lbs, when we got back to his truck he found out his cooler was too small.  This turned out so well that he adapted it for his avatar.

(Image removed from quote.)

Even though there is some camera fun going on, it really was a nice trout

Dang!  Nice fish!  Reminds of this past fall when I got a 36 inch king and the tail and the head were sticking out of the cooler!
DILLY DILLY

Offline WalleyeAdventurer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #92 on: Nov 15, 2017, 03:12 PM »
The story of my first lake trout...

I made a trip up to the Canadian side of Lake of the Woods (Regina and Whitefish bays, to be exact) at the beginning of March with the express purpose of catching a lake trout.  Midway through the second day of HARD daylight-to-dark, no-stopping-to-eat fishing, my buddy and I were joined at a spot over 80 feet of water by 2 locals who pulled up on ATVs probably 30 or 40 yards away.  This, in and of itself, wasn't really interesting.  We had a good time snickering about their thick accents and zany conversations like two 6th graders in the back of a classroom - these guys seemed more into drinking and chasing women than fish catching anyhow - but we were generally focused on the task at hand, heads down and eyes focused on our flashers hoping to spot another mark to go along with the bouncing ones that represented our respective offerings to the lake's finned inhabitants.  After about an hour of drinking and shooting the breeze, the guys start packing up their stuff to leave. 

At almost exactly the same time, I spot it.  Or more accurately, I spot "them."  "Them" being the four separate large red blotches streaking around the dial on my flasher toward the small yellow blip that represented the tube I was jigging about 30 feet below. My friend has noticed the sudden and drastic change in my body language, understands exactly what is going on, and is putting on his best poker face to avoid tipping off our friends who are just about to drive away any minute. Suddenly, as quickly as they arrived, the marks simply vanish.  As I slumped my shoulders starting to come to terms with the idea that I may well get skunked, I see my friend perk up.  These fish have pretty clearly moved away from my hole and towards his. Now I'm the one trying to act natural.  This was much easier said than done with my heart is beating up in my throat despite my best efforts to swallow it back down, my palms becoming drenched with sweat, and my legs wanting to shake free from my body as if they've developed a mind of their own.

For what seemed like an eternity (and in actuality probably was a good 10 minutes) these fish play games with us.  They bounce back and forth, always charging hard but peeling off at the last minute.  Then just when we were convinced they were really gone, they'd show up on the screen of the other's flasher and do the same thing all over again.  All the while we're trying to act nonchalant as we just know that letting the locals know we've got fish showing up would have them drilling holes next to us.  Just when I was about to lose it over my repeated close calls with the fish and how it could possibly take two grown men this long to pack up their things and get moving, they drive off.  As I watch them disappear behind a nearby island, I catch a glimpse of a large, solitary mark on my flasher, once again screaming straight for my tube.  Having tried just about everything in my previous shots at these fish and quite honestly feeling a more than a little defeated, this time I chose to hold my rod tip completely still.  Just as the streaking mark merges into the one representing my tube on the flasher display, my rod tip dips ever so slightly.  It was the type of take you get from a lazy walleye when it's 20 below outside.  Having read about the difficulty of penetrating a hook into a large lake trout's mouth, having worried during weeks of planning about how the lack of a barb on my hooks would assuredly cause me to lose fish, and having spent just about every waking moment over the last couple days doing everything I could to catch one of these fish, I set the hook.  Hard.  Really hard.

It was a complete whiff.  A swing and a miss. A hitter flailing at a Randy Johnson fastball and coming up empty. Nothing but air...or water as the case were.  That tube moved at least 5 feet through the water column with that mighty jerk, probably further.  However, no sooner had I missed and felt the first "woe is me" thoughts begin to creep into my mind, my rod doubled over.  The fish just absolutely blasted it.  I didn't even have the opportunity to set the hook. It was all I could do to keep the rod from being ripped out of my hands and into the hole in the ice to join the fish for good.

After at least 5 long, drag-peeling runs in every direction imaginable, complete with the trademark belched air bubbles rumbling up through the hole in the ice, I brought her nose topside.  Unsure of what to do with myself after finally getting to this point, I distinctly remember jumping up and down and squealing - quite literally squealing - "Get it! Get it! Get it!"  Luckily for me, my buddy had kept his wits through all of this and quickly grabbed it.  Finally.   I had caught one.   And there it was.

Some quick measurements and photos then back down the hole she went.   Her 33 inch length and 18 inch girth put her between 13 and 14 pounds according to the weight calculator on the Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources website.  This clearly isn't a truly large lake trout by most accounts, but for this "country boy" who grew up in the hills of West Virginia and who might as well have been fishing on another planet, it was probably the most memorable catch of my life.  What a rush!  After all the ups and downs of all that time spent chasing these fish, I couldn't do anything but sit down and reflect.  It was a good 30 minutes before I was up and fishing again.

As I reflect, I still find myself convinced that the fish, just like my buddy and me, was waiting on those guys to leave.  The timing couldn't have been any more perfect!

That's one of the best fishing stories I've read!  Heck of a catch.
DILLY DILLY

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #93 on: Nov 15, 2017, 05:59 PM »
Great pictures everyone!

This picture was taken December 21, 2016, less than a year ago.. Crazy how early it was for...

Lake Erie

I was alone..

It's possible, I had the entire lake to myself that day.. And to my knowledge, I might be the only person to ice fish, out on Erie that season??? It all blew out the next day...

<°)))>{

Offline tbern

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #94 on: Nov 15, 2017, 06:01 PM »
Love that skyline as the backdrop, nice picture!

Offline Bigassbassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New home, MA-->CO
« Reply #95 on: Nov 15, 2017, 10:05 PM »
Wow, some really great photos!

Mine was taken this October, up at Maroon Lake, outside of Aspen, CO.  First ice scouting trip of the year for me. I really enjoy the early ice we're blessed with out here in Colorado. With the many lakes above 10,000 feet, we can often ice fish from October to May or later.
Flags up, gentlemen!!!

Offline tbern

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #96 on: Nov 15, 2017, 10:11 PM »
another awesome picture

Offline Wavemaster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #97 on: Nov 18, 2017, 01:36 PM »
Waited till almost February last season to find the closest safe ice which was over 3 hours away. Fishing started off really slow until we headed out farther and away from the pack. Located a large school of perch and it was game on! The flasher lit up like a Christmas tree and down viewing with the underwaterwater camera was key to pick out the larger fish. There is nothing more fun than watching a school of perch coming in to feed like a pack of wolves and having the biggest one come up and inhale your bait! This one hit the jammin jigs humpback jig and was the biggest of the trip!

Offline tbern

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #98 on: Nov 18, 2017, 01:43 PM »
Wavemaster, wow that is a awesome perch!!

Offline Codyc6591

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #99 on: Nov 18, 2017, 07:59 PM »

Always catching stuff like this form shore but going to give it a shot. This will be my first year ice fishing. I think that it will be a blast.
Codyc6591

Offline RussC

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #100 on: Nov 20, 2017, 09:47 AM »

My daughter happy as can be to get a picture with her fish. It was so fresh all it did was flop around and she couldn’t get ahold of it. Best times are taking a child fishing.

Offline tbern

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #101 on: Nov 20, 2017, 09:59 AM »
Great smile!

Offline IceMonsters

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Team New York
« Reply #102 on: Nov 22, 2017, 11:09 AM »
This was 30 minutes of fierce bite! I couldn't keep my line in the water. The best perch fishing I have ever had in my years of ice fishing! Definitely a worthy pile of fish. And thanks to the IceShanty Militia flag for making a great center focal point! The fish look up to it!!

Offline tbern

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #103 on: Nov 22, 2017, 11:16 AM »
Beautiful perch!!  Sounds like fun!

Offline IceMonsters

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Team New York
« Reply #104 on: Nov 22, 2017, 11:21 AM »
Beautiful perch!!  Sounds like fun!
yeah me and my buddy had a blast that day. Once the bite was on.....it was ON!

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice anglers walk on water.
« Reply #105 on: Nov 26, 2017, 05:24 PM »
"Frozen Tent"

Last year was quite the season for pressure ridges. 
This one formed right against shore and pushed up to form what looked like a frozen tent. I have never seen anything like that.
It was large enough to crawl into. :woot:

WW

Offline tbern

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #106 on: Nov 26, 2017, 05:58 PM »
Very COOL!!

Offline waterfowl_warrior09

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #107 on: Nov 26, 2017, 06:26 PM »

This may not be the best quality or sunrise sunset pic, but I've decided this is the one to put in the contest. To me, it tells a story. From first glance it looks like a standard pulling shack out picture but upon closer inspection it is more metaphorical. I believe it shows the grit and tenacity of us ice warriors. Bundled to the gills, eyes forward, ever vigilant for that perfect spot on a new body of water. Wind so stiff it's iced up the rope sling, but we press on for respect of the quarry. Shack caked with ice and snow, showing the fish gods we are willing and able to put in the dues of skunks. Shimmer of sun trying to peek through the clouds telling us, it's out there, victory is attainable but it's gonna be a grind to burst through the clouds/resistance of the ever wary Sander vitreus.  To me, this simple picture embodies what all of us crazy people are ever so addicted to.

Thanks for consideration!!

Offline Iceshanty

• Admin
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Unwilling to leave the fish I have not caught yet
« Reply #108 on: Nov 27, 2017, 07:13 AM »
Just a few more days to enter.  :tipup: Keep them coming.
What's cooler than being cool? Ice cold

´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((((º>                                
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((º> 
´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((((((((º>

Offline mattyb516

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #109 on: Nov 27, 2017, 02:16 PM »

No real special story to go with this picture. A few years ago, a local ice fishing company had a contest. They needed a new picture for their website and whoever provided it would win a new limited edition trap. So I went through my photo library, found one, and after a little editing, I had my picture that would win the contest. Well, I didn’t win. As far as I know, a winner was never selected. This was 3 years ago. Since then, I always take a picture of a trap on every trip and submit my best one to their website at the beginning of the season in hopes of claiming my trap that should have been mine 3 years ago. My profile picture is the one I submitted last year and this one is the one I will submit to them in a few weeks.
where there's a flag, there's a pickerel

Offline tbern

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #110 on: Nov 27, 2017, 02:37 PM »
Very nice shot, Matt!

Offline Mr spearer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #111 on: Nov 27, 2017, 03:27 PM »
Good ending to a great day of fishing on URL in Mn.

Offline tbern

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #112 on: Nov 27, 2017, 04:49 PM »
Nice little ice village scenery!

Offline Nessmuck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #113 on: Nov 27, 2017, 11:08 PM »

I got a beer in my hand and toes in the sand !

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #114 on: Nov 27, 2017, 11:54 PM »
I like that last one Nessmuck...

Could be 40 years ago, or yesterday...

<°)))>{

Offline tbern

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #115 on: Nov 28, 2017, 06:32 AM »
Very nice black and white photo of a peaceful setting!

Offline mattyb516

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #116 on: Nov 28, 2017, 07:12 AM »
Very nice shot, Matt!

Thank you much, tbern
where there's a flag, there's a pickerel

Offline Oscoda Ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The Mountains are Blue
« Reply #117 on: Nov 28, 2017, 11:03 AM »
A special one to me, my ladies first Sauger thru the ice. This is from Lake of the Woods this past March.

I got my lady really into fishing the first year we were dating. She was generally excited to go out but there were the slow days that she would lose interest relatively fast. That was until she hooked into her personal best Northern (38" - 15lbs), she was hooked on targeting Northern after that.

Some background on how we ended up on LotW. We had a trip to Jamaica all booked and paid for.... I showed her some videos and pictures of the Northern that LotW produces. After a very tiny amount of convincing we cancelled the Jamaica trip and booked a trip to Northern, MN. Some terrible weather, the truck breaking, fun fishing, able to take the dog, etc. It was one of those trips we will never forget. She didn't get her trophy Pike but that just gives us an excuse to go back one of these days.

-Kyle

"Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers."    -Herbert Hoover

Offline gsawyer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #118 on: Nov 29, 2017, 03:50 PM »

Had a friend move from Wisconsin to Wyoming who had never gone ice fishing. First ice we hit the hard water and he pulls out this beauty of a facemask he had made himself. It scared the fish so bad that when he looked down the whole they practically jumped out of the water into his hand! A master of the ice the first time out!
Can't catch em sittin in the living room!

Offline Moosemilk

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #119 on: Nov 30, 2017, 08:46 AM »
My first fresh water sailfish.  Caught in Colorado at about 11,000 ft.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.