Author Topic: Any company bringing out a 10in hand auger?  (Read 25701 times)

Offline Deal Ninja

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Any company bringing out a 10in hand auger?
« Reply #120 on: Jan 16, 2018, 06:24 PM »
Wow, that stinks man.  :P. Sorry about the foot and shoe.  I know how long you’ve been trying to put this thing together.

Glad you weren’t cut worse.  Sorry about your misfortune. :P

DN
DON'T DILLY DALLY!!!   ;D

Polar Bird 3T, Eskimo EVO 1it
8" K-Drill, 8" Nils Arctic Trekker, Milwaukee Mud Mixer, Milwaukee 2704-22, Clam Plate, Adapters to make everything work with everything. lol
Marcum LX-7s (2) Dakota Lithium powered

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #121 on: Jan 16, 2018, 09:32 PM »
Wow, that stinks man.  :P. Sorry about the foot and shoe.  I know how long you’ve been trying to put this thing together.

Glad you weren’t cut worse.  Sorry about your misfortune. :P

DN

Well....they were HT polar Fire blades.....Maybe when the 10in mora blades show up they will work. It wouldn't bite into the ice so I'm thinking the pitch might be slightly different on them then the mora blades......Guess I'll find out.

Got the entire setup looking like new......I'm just wishing it would cut so I can see if the 1200in/lb Milwaukee will turn it.

Offline caldwellite

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #122 on: Jan 16, 2018, 10:57 PM »
With all the people on this site you would think we could get a blade compatibility chart. For what it is worth my Mora 6,7,and 10 blades all have a bevel on both sides. The blades are all .130 thick and the bevel is .200 wide. My older hand auger blades before Mora, Before Lazer, are beveled one side only. The bevel is .275 and they are .115 thick. The older 7 and 8 inch non Moras have screw spacing of 1.640 with 1.10 inches from the end on both. You should be able to use both sizes on the same auger. My 6 and 7 inch Lazers are different in size and not interchange. Augers were manufactured  under different names but most of the old single bevel blades in the same size were interchangeable. 

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #123 on: Jan 16, 2018, 11:57 PM »
Well after doing some research.......I got a few things I'm going to try before the mora blades show up.

With the 10 polar Fire blades....they used bolts with nuts......they don't have threads in the blade holes. So I'm not sure if the bolt/nut were hitting the ice causing the blades to not grab. So I flipped them over, and think that might fix it.

Also I was reading about shims using an aluminum can to make them.......checked and the blades were tight on the inside to the metal, but I could see a sliver of light between the blade/mount by the outside bolt. So I tighten them down really tight....so maybe that will fix it.....

Offline WolfPack1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #124 on: Jan 17, 2018, 01:50 AM »
Have you looked at the bottom for how far out the nuts from the bolts that hold them on stick out? Might be a clearance issue where they can’t bite in well because it wants to ride up on those nuts instead of being pulled down at the angle of the blade! Got the idea because with the 6” mora I’ve got, Ice builds up in the same location, and it’ll do the same exact thing, just doesn’t want to bite in very well. Chip the ice off and it’s good to go!

Edit* Oops! Misread what you posted. I’d definitely give that a try!

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #125 on: Jan 17, 2018, 06:49 PM »
Well after I flipped the bolts, she dug in no problem and cut.

I don't think these blades are going to work though....they are more aggressive then the Mora shaver style blades, and look like they take a lot bigger bite. When I drilled the holes, the Milwaukee 1200in/lb drill would cut out and stop then would go again when I'd hit the trigger. Thinking the less aggressive mora blades might fix that problem. Otherwise I might need to move to a gearbox on the clam plate.

Offline ronco

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #126 on: Jan 17, 2018, 07:12 PM »
Glad you have it cutting and hopefully no more accidents. Maybe if you put a spacer on the rear of the blade, maybe it won't take such a big bite. I put a spacer made out a plastic milk jug on the front under the blade on my 6" jiffy hand auger for a bigger bite, that's what I'm running on my m18 fuel. Others have said about making a spacer out of a soda can. Good luck
The secret to fishing.....fish where the fish are.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #127 on: Jan 17, 2018, 08:27 PM »
Glad you have it cutting and hopefully no more accidents. Maybe if you put a spacer on the rear of the blade, maybe it won't take such a big bite. I put a spacer made out a plastic milk jug on the front under the blade on my 6" jiffy hand auger for a bigger bite, that's what I'm running on my m18 fuel. Others have said about making a spacer out of a soda can. Good luck

Hey thanks for the heads up on it man.....once I got it painted up and cleaned everything it looks like new. Worth the investment. I got a 6in lazer 8in nils, and a 10in mora now....think I'm good on augers....lol

Offline ronco

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #128 on: Jan 17, 2018, 08:29 PM »
Glad it worked out for you.
The secret to fishing.....fish where the fish are.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #129 on: Jan 17, 2018, 08:39 PM »
Glad it worked out for you.

Got about $130 into it after all said and done.......so it was a lot cheaper to try this route the the $360 nils 10in which is like a unicorn.....that wouldn't be so bad but it's another $198 for a spare cutting head......didn't feel like putting $560 into a 10in hand auger I'll use a few times a year.

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #130 on: Jan 17, 2018, 09:18 PM »
Well after I flipped the bolts, she dug in no problem and cut.

I don't think these blades are going to work though....they are more aggressive then the Mora shaver style blades, and look like they take a lot bigger bite. When I drilled the holes, the Milwaukee 1200in/lb drill would cut out and stop then would go again when I'd hit the trigger. Thinking the less aggressive mora blades might fix that problem. Otherwise I might need to move to a gearbox on the clam plate.
What amp hour battery are you running?

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #131 on: Jan 17, 2018, 10:19 PM »
What amp hour battery are you running?

I had the 9ah on it. It started out good then has I got deeper it would cut out. I'm thinking the normal mora blades would work on it....I'll find out when the set shows up. Also the pipe adaptor I made was a bit loose and sloppy....it might have cause the auger to shift and bind in the hole. I might get an adaptor custom made that would be tight.

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #132 on: Jan 17, 2018, 10:26 PM »
Either set, whether the HT or the Mora, could use shims on one side of the screws, or the other, depending on if you want more, or less bite, totally custom. Each blade needs the same exact thickness of shim obviously...

Mora blades used to come with two pieces of galvanized for shim stock, it was much thicker than a beer can fwiw..

<°)))>{

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #133 on: Jan 17, 2018, 10:30 PM »
Either set, whether the HT or the Mora, could use shims on one side of the screws, or the other, depending on if you want more, or less bite, totally custom. Each blade needs the same exact thickness of shim obviously...

Mora blades used to come with two pieces of galvanized for shim stock, it was much thicker than a beer can fwiw..

<°)))>{

Cool...clam gear boxes are all on recall/pulled for year aren’t they

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #134 on: Jan 17, 2018, 10:36 PM »

I'm not sure, might still be a chance?

That kicker gear set made to fit the plate might be the best option.. They also look to be made of common available parts...

My drill ran a 6" fine, but it cut even smoother and I can only describe as nicer, with the gear box...

So you might not "need" one, I can can say I prefer drilling with the gears, regardless of auger size. Just way more steady and consistent...

<°)))>{

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #135 on: Jan 18, 2018, 11:20 AM »
Sweet called strikemaster service center and the lady found a "very" old 10in mora blade cover.......Sweet.

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #136 on: Jan 18, 2018, 11:55 AM »
Sweet called strikemaster service center and the lady found a "very" old 10in mora blade cover.......Sweet.

That belongs in a museum!

Last one in the galaxy...

<°)))>{

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #137 on: Jan 18, 2018, 02:04 PM »

Yup there bought by another entity according to montecatgeek and are not for sale this year.. monte said they had a hole pallet but we're sold to some one else already.. for more info you would have to talk to Montecatgeek that the guys screen name on here  I think it's was another screw up by clam but I wont coment aboUT that.. lol's

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #138 on: Jan 18, 2018, 04:52 PM »

Yup there bought by another entity according to montecatgeek and are not for sale this year.. monte said they had a hole pallet but we're sold to some one else already.. for more info you would have to talk to Montecatgeek that the guys screen name on here  I think it's was another screw up by clam but I wont coment aboUT that.. lol's

Yeah.....I called clam to see if they had a gear box for a gen 2 plate or if I could get a new plate and gear box......claimed they didn't make any for sale this year.......something is a bit off.

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #139 on: Jan 18, 2018, 05:01 PM »

Yup there bought by another entity according to montecatgeek

That kinda sucks, so there goes any support for my current gearbox, hope she's built right...

<°)))>{

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #140 on: Jan 18, 2018, 08:20 PM »
That kinda sucks, so there goes any support for my current gearbox, hope she's built right...

<°)))>{

Not that you don't got support..  its some one bought a hole pallet load of them to sell probably in europe.. were clam does not sell yet?? Or some thing along them line like Russia like polar bird etc etc..  any how some one must be making money on this deal?? But ya they probably will have some next year..  for sure..

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #141 on: Jan 18, 2018, 09:03 PM »

Not that you don't got support..  its some one bought a hole pallet load of them to sell probably in europe..

Oh! Lol There were sold out, not bought out by another entity...

I misunderstood lol...

<°)))>{

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #142 on: Jan 19, 2018, 04:18 PM »
So to fix the slop and try to prevent binding I got some Allen head bolts and widened one side so the Allen head can go in and squeeze the pipes and auger tight to take any slop out. It worked extremely well. I posted some pics so you can visual see what I did.

I took it out and tested the auger again....the Milwaukee 1200in drilled one hole in about 18-20in of ice no problem. On the second hole it shut down, and cut the hole when I started it back up. Taking the slop out helped a lot, however The aggressive HT polar Fire shaver/chipper blade hybrid still works the drill hard. Hopefully, the Mora blades come before a government shut down. It might be a long shot, but I hope they cut easier and smoother then these shaver/chipper blades. Which It should....because the shaver/chipper hybrid blade leaves 5 strips of ice that are not cut and the blade just hits the 5 chunks/strips and bust them off. (I would think that takes a lot of tourque) If it's still a bit much, I think I'll have to wait until next season to get a clam plate gear box....then it should turn this 10in no problem.

Was impressed ordered the cover at noon yesterday and it showed up today already. Wow I wish they made the new shaver covers this strong and tuff. I peeled the bar code sticker off and it just turned to powder....LOL.

pretty happy with the way it's gone so Far....Have all original parts for the auger and it looks like new after the touch up......

Offline VTMatt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #143 on: Jan 19, 2018, 04:35 PM »
Original blades have less of a pitch than what you have one....explains the drill stalling. I bought a 8" cheapo knockoff for my Ion and the blade angles were crazy aggressive...could barely even get through one hole. Even an 8" Lazer rips...for a 10" the Mora blades sound best for any electric drill.

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #144 on: Jan 19, 2018, 04:44 PM »
Original blades have less of a pitch than what you have on

Pitch can be changed with shims though...

<°)))>{

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #145 on: Jan 19, 2018, 08:17 PM »
So the new old stock 10" mora blades came. I put them on the auger, and headed down to the pond to try it.....didn't have a lot of hope. Figured it was worth a try.

Holy mother of god....once the mora blades were on the Milwaukee 1200 the setup ripped through the ice for 5 holes and was throwing shavings and water everywhere. Drill didn't stop or anything. Didn't seemed to be over worked either. It dug in and didn't walk or wonder......All I can say is wow....no gear box is needed now. Can't wait for my trip with the wheel house now.

So the verdict is Yes a Milwaukee 1200in/lb can turn a 10in auger without a gear box.

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #146 on: Jan 20, 2018, 10:19 PM »
Sounds like you got a winner!

FWIW...

I think this is a 9" that could be a 10"? For sale here...

Looks like a more modern one?

https://detroit.craigslist.org/mcb/spo/d/2-strikemaster-ice-auger/6466024087.html

<°)))>{

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #147 on: Jan 20, 2018, 11:03 PM »
Looks to new....I think it's an 8in

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #148 on: Jan 22, 2018, 10:12 AM »
From Strikemaster.......

This size blade has been discontinued since 1981. So at best my auger is 37yrs old......if it could only talk to tell its stories....

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #149 on: Jan 22, 2018, 01:08 PM »
From Strikemaster.......

This size blade has been discontinued since 1981. So at best my auger is 37yrs old......if it could only talk to tell its stories....
that's what my guess was too.about the same time the 4"mora hand auger blades were discontinued.its hard to find those too.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.