Author Topic: Any company bringing out a 10in hand auger?  (Read 25676 times)

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
Re: Any company bringing out a 10in hand auger?
« Reply #150 on: Jan 22, 2018, 03:15 PM »
that's what my guess was too.about the same time the 4"mora hand auger blades were discontinued.its hard to find those too.

What's funny is how companies claim blades can't be resharpened today.......yet on these old packages it shows/tells a guy how to touch them up...............just kinda sad how much money and profits have changed things from back then.........,

Offline VTMatt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #151 on: Jan 22, 2018, 06:34 PM »
What's funny is how companies claim blades can't be resharpened today.......yet on these old packages it shows/tells a guy how to touch them up...............just kinda sad how much money and profits have changed things from back then.........,

I hit sand with my 6" Ion last weekend...threw a huge burr, and dinged an edge.

Used a ran them over a coarse and then fine stone and made sure I pressed the blades down flat on the angles...they cut like new now, dings and all.  Makes me laugh when they recommend replacements.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #152 on: Jan 22, 2018, 07:38 PM »
I hit sand with my 6" Ion last weekend...threw a huge burr, and dinged an edge.

Used a ran them over a coarse and then fine stone and made sure I pressed the blades down flat on the angles...they cut like new now, dings and all.  Makes me laugh when they recommend replacements.

Yeah.....I'm just suprised nobody is selling a jig to sharpen them. Think it would be pretty easy.

Offline Damn Yankee

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #153 on: Jan 22, 2018, 07:40 PM »
Yeah.....I called clam to see if they had a gear box for a gen 2 plate or if I could get a new plate and gear box......claimed they didn't make any for sale this year.......something is a bit off.
Regardless what everyone says about availability just think about it. The Milwaukee drill delivers 1200 InLbs of torque. Thats 100 FootPounds of torque.
The 8" Lazer bits will need that + when they break through. After 10 or 50 or 200 holes the $70 China gearbox will fail, when your on the trip of a lifetime.
A $70 product has Profit for the Seller, profit for Clam, and profit for the company that made it along with getting it from there to here. Probably $10-$15 actual manufacturing cost.
I'm thinking someone at Clam has realized the folly of the, first plastic gears then steel (probably made from dredged up sunken trash). Clam's products
have been on the upswing the last 2 years and hopefully someone there with a brain has realized this product will not make our customers happy a few years from now.
Of Course, as always, My Opinion Only
Leave Some For Seed

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #154 on: Jan 22, 2018, 07:58 PM »
Regardless what everyone says about availability just think about it. The Milwaukee drill delivers 1200 InLbs of torque. Thats 100 FootPounds of torque.
The 8" Lazer bits will need that + when they break through. After 10 or 50 or 200 holes the $70 China gearbox will fail, when your on the trip of a lifetime.
A $70 product has Profit for the Seller, profit for Clam, and profit for the company that made it along with getting it from there to here. Probably $10-$15 actual manufacturing cost.
I'm thinking someone at Clam has realized the folly of the, first plastic gears then steel (probably made from dredged up sunken trash). Clam's products
have been on the upswing the last 2 years and hopefully someone there with a brain has realized this product will not make our customers happy a few years from now.
Of Course, as always, My Opinion Only

I think your not far off. I'm not gonna need the gear box now though. After I got the actual 10in mora blades on that were less aggressive, I was able to drill 5  holes back to back in about 2ft of ice without any hang ups or stopping....If things work out I should have a few sets of blades and be ok.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #155 on: Jan 23, 2018, 09:02 PM »
Well,

I'd like to show my appreciation to all of you guys for putting in a team effort in helping me find and aquire all the stuff for this 10in mora setup. While I more than likely won't ever run into or meet most of you I believe I owe you a big thank you.

Here are some shout outs to....
Wirenut45-he found and deliver two new vintage 10in Mora Blades.
Ronco-he set me up with the seller of the auger.

Thanks again,

Agro.

Offline ronco

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #156 on: Jan 23, 2018, 09:08 PM »
Your welcome, glad it worked out for you. I just looked today, the same guy still has it up on CL. I don't know maybe he has 2 of them. He updated it yesterday;

https://fortcollins.craigslist.org/spo/d/vintage-10-mora-strikemaster/6449076088.html

The secret to fishing.....fish where the fish are.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #157 on: May 03, 2018, 02:44 PM »
well I found the mythical mora 10" beast auger today at a garage sale.offset foldable handle too.probably needs some blades and a blade cover but for 5 bucks i  couldnt pass it up! anybody have or leads to blades or a cover let me know,imgur and post image wont let me post pics for some reason from my laptop but phone worked.

Offline RapShack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #158 on: May 04, 2018, 08:12 PM »
That's an interesting handle setup.  Did they come like that back then or is it a DIY job?
I'm a man, but I can change, If I have to, I guess.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #159 on: May 05, 2018, 05:13 AM »
well I found the mythical mora 10" beast auger today at a garage sale.offset foldable handle too.probably needs some blades and a blade cover but for 5 bucks i  couldnt pass it up! anybody have or leads to blades or a cover let me know,imgur and post image wont let me post pics for some reason from my laptop but phone worked.

I found one on Craigslist not too long ago and posted it on here for whomever was looking for one.  Looks like you could just sharpen those blades. They don't look too bad in the picture.
<===Lefty===

Offline wirenut45

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #160 on: May 05, 2018, 05:15 AM »
DR. nice find . those blades look fair in pic. may be able to send them to sponser "FISH307" to sharpen. also, they have a swap thingy with blades, so, they MAY have some used 10 in. laying around. can.,t hurt to ask. wire

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #161 on: May 05, 2018, 06:14 AM »
Here is the one I found. It doesn't have the offset handle though.
https://westslope.craigslist.org/spo/d/ice-auger/6548666979.html
<===Lefty===

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #162 on: May 05, 2018, 01:55 PM »
That's an interesting handle setup.  Did they come like that back then or is it a DIY job?
its factory.i have a few offset folding handle moras like this but seems to be no  rhyme or reason what years or sizes these handles came on which augers.think you could by these folding offsets handles from strikemaster back in the day. 

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #163 on: May 05, 2018, 01:57 PM »
I found one on Craigslist not too long ago and posted it on here for whomever was looking for one.  Looks like you could just sharpen those blades. They don't look too bad in the picture.
going to try that's for sure!few knicks but they feel  sharp except for some rusty spots.

Offline bowmandan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #164 on: May 05, 2018, 08:22 PM »
Use a 2 1/2 gallon bucket with a bungee cord to cover the blades

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #165 on: May 06, 2018, 10:59 AM »
Use a 2 1/2 gallon bucket with a bungee cord to cover the blades
that would work but im ocd about my gear being original or oem.lol.plus i like the thrill of the chase/ search for hard to find items.

Offline Chris Raymond

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lifelong Outdoorsman
« Reply #166 on: May 07, 2018, 02:38 PM »
10" Mora hand auger???  Yeah, no thanks, I value what shoulders I have left and want to avoid having a heart attack as long as possible.  ;-)
Chris Raymond

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #167 on: May 07, 2018, 02:56 PM »
I bought it for the 5 dollar price tag and because its  pretty rare to be a 10" hand auger.i now have every size mora hand augers ever made. 4" thru 10".ill probably never use it for fishing but I will do it justice and crank a few holes just to see how hard it really is.offset handle might make it easier.lol

luv2fish2

« Reply #168 on: May 08, 2018, 03:13 PM »
ck with a local saw/knife sharpening shop i have my mora's done locally last time was 7 bucks each worked like new

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #169 on: May 19, 2018, 08:01 PM »
I have used our sponsor https://www.fish307.com/auger-blade-exchange/ for years and the blade exchange works very fine.  You will never receive a rusted, chipped or defective blade from them.  If the blades they receive from other fishermen do not meet their standards they will not accept them for exchange.  So in return, the blades you receive from them willl be equal or better then the blades you sent in.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #170 on: May 20, 2018, 11:35 AM »
I'm betting that exchange program does not have a  set of mora  10" hand auger blades..they are pretty rare these days and ive been searching  the web and not a single set has come up for sale so far this month.good news tho I got these  pretty sharp.the edges were in good shape and pretty sharp already.i took my strop/polish compound from my wood carving tools and polished them up more than anything due to some rust.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #171 on: Jun 26, 2018, 11:40 PM »
that would work but im ocd about my gear being original or oem.lol.plus i like the thrill of the chase/ search for hard to find items.

Good luck....I called both places for strikemaster. They had one 10in cover left that they said was older then old. I bought it. I would suggest getting a cover 3D printed for it.

Offline DTro

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #172 on: Dec 12, 2018, 08:06 AM »
Maybe I missed it in this thread, but I'm curious.  Has anyone tried a LPD-10 Strikemaster on a drill?

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #173 on: Dec 12, 2018, 04:33 PM »
I don’t think anyone has tried it. I doubt it would work without a gear box. With this 10in mora hand auger, I put a pair of HT polar fire blades that were a flat blade shaver/chipper hybrid blades. The blades were just a touch more aggressive then the flat blade 10in mora shavers.  The Milwaukee 1200 in lb would turn it with those blades on it, but it worked the drill hard and after about three holes in 24in of ice the drill would shut down. I later found a new old stock set of 10in flat blade mora blades and put them on the auger. With that setup I drilled 4-5 holes with the 1200in/lb Milwaukee drill and it worked the drill, but it did not shut down.

I have since looked at the Ion 10in auger and its blades. Those blades look to be a shaver/chipper hybrid but not has aggressive they are more like the flat blade mora.

Offline NEZ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Good fishing and safe ice
« Reply #174 on: Dec 12, 2018, 09:05 PM »
Not sure why you would want to use a 10 inch on a drill.  This would really put the drill through a severe work out.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #175 on: Dec 12, 2018, 09:17 PM »
Not sure why you would want to use a 10 inch on a drill.  This would really put the drill through a severe work out.

If its to much the safety shutdown will turn the brushless drill off before it damages it. Works good for cutting holes in the wheel house. If clam had the gearbox yet it would be a cinch.

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #176 on: Dec 12, 2018, 09:19 PM »
My Super Hawg doesn’t even blink.

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #177 on: Dec 13, 2018, 06:34 AM »
We need a photo of the Hawg.

Most people don't know that it exists.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #178 on: Dec 13, 2018, 08:29 PM »
We need a photo of the Hawg.

Most people don't know that it exists.

I'm sure a mud mixer would turn it two. With the flat blades it turns pretty easy.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.