Author Topic: Ice Bobber Stop?  (Read 2595 times)

Offline wiel0059

• Team IceShanty Regular
Ice Bobber Stop?
« on: Jan 08, 2016, 07:29 AM »
Probably the simplest question most of you will see all day lol. But, I've never dead sticked in the past. Gonna give it a shot this year starting tomorrow.

The only thing that has me stressed out (lol) is what bobber stop to use with the 3 and 4 lb test I'll be using, while at the same time being able to get through small ice guides without have it sliding around constantly. Any suggestions? Thank you!

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Ice Bobber Stop?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 08, 2016, 07:58 AM »
Which make/model bobber stop and rod reel combo you using ? I set mine with a flasher ....I also count/measure out as I strip out/ feed  the line down the hole ....could also use a Sharpie marker .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline chasin eyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 08, 2016, 08:10 AM »
I primarily use spinning reels, and my favorite bobber stops is a brand called Gizmos.  You can get them through Cabelas, and I'm sure other sporting good stores.  It is a small piece of red plastic with four little holes that you weave your line through.  I have had good luck with them and they stay in place well.

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Keep yer stick on the ice!

Offline wiel0059

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 08, 2016, 08:23 AM »
Which make/model bobber stop and rod reel combo you using ? I set mine with a flasher ....I also count/measure out as I strip out/ feed  the line down the hole ....could also use a Sharpie marker .

I'll be using them to fish crappies / perch. Maybe that helps. I'll just be using some extra spinning rods I have that I don't use for jigging with either a small slip bobber. I'll look into those chasin eyes!

Of course, I have the traditional yellow ones you knot onto the line, I just fear those are going to slip with such light line. I then have some rubber stops that I use for open water texas rig bass fishing to peg my weights, but I'm worried those will slid too...

Offline E Z turn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 08, 2016, 08:26 AM »
I use both plastic and the cloth stops and check often with the flasher. Another way we use to set depth prior to all the electronics was to hold one end of a tape measure and stretch your arms out as far as you this will give you a given length , in my case its 5' 6''. Hold the jig and stretch out your line and move the stopper as many times as you need to reach your desired depth. I have done this and checked with my flasher it is pretty accurate and will work in a pinch.
Oops! is too late.

Offline 2MuchStuff

• IceShanty Rookie
  • I'll be home after dark thirty
« Reply #6 on: Jan 08, 2016, 11:01 AM »
neoprene rubber on the wire like those eagle claws.
fit thru eyelets and easy to lace on with cold fingers.
"if you don't know where to start,go back to the beginning" Alvin Soady.

Offline hounds

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If it were easy just anyone would do it !
« Reply #7 on: Jan 08, 2016, 11:16 AM »
I agree with Sir Cranks Alot.................. .....Rubber Band overhand Knot

Offline redsoctober19

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 08, 2016, 11:35 AM »
Tie a nail not with around 7 wraps of Dacron,   might have to snuff it up every couple weeks,   reels through guides

Offline Shoe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 08, 2016, 04:42 PM »
You might consider using 2 bobber stops next to each other.  I have used all of the stops mentioned.  Sometimes they slip when reeling in a fish.  The plastic one that you weave the line through gets caught in my spinning reels, by-the-way.  Using 2 stops, if one moves after landing a fish, you can put it back in place near the other one.  One of the two almost always stays put.

s

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #10 on: Jan 08, 2016, 04:45 PM »
Thill brand string. The only ones i will use on the ice.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #11 on: Jan 08, 2016, 05:45 PM »
I've managed to gold plate rubber bands.         :woot:

That has proven to be an expensive proposition ~ But, they catch more fish.       :whistle:

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Online missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #12 on: Jan 09, 2016, 09:32 AM »

Offline Lirch46

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 09, 2016, 01:55 PM »
Rubber band  only thing I use

Offline UFCreel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 09, 2016, 03:06 PM »
Only use bobber stops Thill type string when in the shack. Otherwise outside no bobber stops or bobber. They just freeze up.
Flags up! Bobbers down!

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Feb 20, 2018, 12:59 PM »
I piked these up at Basspro yesterday in the hope they will pass thru the line roller of my Shimanos better than the other kinds. It's not obvious, though, how to use them.

Offline deerefishyfishy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Feb 20, 2018, 01:20 PM »
I piked these up at Basspro yesterday in the hope they will pass thru the line roller of my Shimanos better than the other kinds. It's not obvious, though, how to use them.

Are they the gizmos mentioned earlier?
The hardest part of ice fishing is casting!

Early to bed, early to rise
fish all day and make up lies!

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Feb 20, 2018, 02:04 PM »
not if you are referring to the red and black ones above...

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #18 on: Feb 20, 2018, 02:32 PM »
a long time ago, I used toothpicks to stop the bobber...
then open water fishing string bobber stops were the thing...
now if I had to go back to ice fishing with a bobber...
a string to mark the line, but a toothpick to stop the bobber...you want the toothpick just lightly snug on the bobber so when you reel up line the toothpick will pop off with almost no resistance if it should even touch your rod tip.  Your string is just a marker on the line, so it will be trimmed tight and offer almost no resistance throughout the reel, line roller, and line guides.  All you have to do is pick up toothpick off ice floor or floating in hole.

Now other option had come to mind.  With high density foam now available, same thing can be achieved.  Just slit a foam section, slide line through slit just enough.  That foam is like the toothpick it will just fall off when it touches the rod tip.  Sometimes I do just use that foam as a strike indicator.  A small piece just for visual on the line on a straight line deadstick.  Just pick up foam off ice floor or floating in hole.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Feb 20, 2018, 10:40 PM »
Rubber band  only thing I use
2X, thin rubber bands work great, and to remove them just over tighten and they snap in half and their free of your line.

Offline Super-ice-bird

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • That's a fifth next to that brown!
« Reply #20 on: Feb 20, 2018, 10:48 PM »
Only use bobber stops Thill type string when in the shack. Otherwise outside no bobber stops or bobber. They just freeze up.

X2
Come on fish!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.