The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Stihl is now making ice augers!!!  (Read 3948 times)

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yakity yak yak, yakity yak yak
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
. .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Offline manitron

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Stihl is now making ice augers!!!
« Reply #1 on: Dec 22, 2015, 09:19 AM »
Good quality but you are going to pay for it($699). Worth it if you need an earth auger anyway.
Being on ice is nice but the tug is the drug.

Offline Sharp Nils

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 22, 2015, 05:43 PM »
 If they use the same blades as Mora, SM, Eskimo, HT, Jiffy then they bring nothing new to the market.
Frank DeLuca

[email protected]

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Dec 22, 2015, 08:32 PM »
Yes the $699 price is only the Auger. Bits are extra. Maybe their blades are made in America.
<===Lefty===

Offline oldtrapper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 02, 2016, 06:17 PM »
They made them years ago already . Must be ten years ago when our local RENTALL sold them . I tried one but that too was long ago and I found the Nils better and faster .

TD

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 08, 2016, 12:07 AM »
If they use the same blades as Mora, SM, Eskimo, HT, Jiffy then they bring nothing new to the market.

Those are all the blades I can sharpen..

Lol pretty funny comparison there...

So like you said, same blades same cutting? Lol

A Homelight chainsaw and a Stihl both run Oregon made chains. Same cutting then?

A Stihl is a Stihl, whatever it needs to spin so be it...

<°)))>{

Offline Sharp Nils

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 09, 2016, 09:10 AM »
  When you sharpen your chain at some point you'll have to adjust the depth of cut.  Correct?
 If you don't it won't matter if that chain is on a Stihl or Monkey Wards saw, end result is the same.

Liken that to the mount for an auger blade.   When you sharpen the blade you take material off. Depending on blade and mount your depth of cut needs to be adjusted.    What if you bent your mount? 
 If your going to come out with a new auger at least make improve it.  If not a new blade design then an adjustable mount of one that can be replaced.

As far as Stihl powerheads for a ice drill I'd like to test a BT 45 with a 8" Nils.
Frank DeLuca

[email protected]

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 09, 2016, 10:31 AM »
  When you sharpen your chain at some point you'll have to adjust the depth of cut.  Correct?
 If you don't it won't matter if that chain is on a Stihl or Monkey Wards saw, end result is the same.

True, neither will cut with the rakers too high, but the Stihl will probably still pull that chain if the rakers are too low..

My excitement for this thread is for the engine and reputation Stilh has built.. My old Eskimo auger is my only 2 stroke engine that's not a Stihl.. Going off of 25 years running Stihl saws professionally, and all my personal yard tools, I know what those engines can do, every day, for hours...

This has to do with the engine, not the auger blades.

<°)))>{

Offline carcus1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 10, 2016, 06:02 AM »
Earth augers are the only way to go IMO, have you seen the Chinese junk ice augers?  I have a Tanaka and a Efco, they are night and day better quality and I would assume stihl would be no different
Ladywood, Manitoba, Canada

Offline samuelR5

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Sep 10, 2018, 02:45 PM »
I'm on the market for the same product. I’m curious because my all my friends burn wood and they use mostly Stihl chainsaws (more info) and I know that Stihl saws are about the best there on the market. I’m curious to hear if their augers are as good. So man great thought here! Thanks!

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #10 on: Sep 11, 2018, 07:05 AM »
Well you dug up an old post. 2015. I am sure if they were making augers someone on here would have posted how good or bad they are by now. I haven't seen any posts other than this one.
<===Lefty===

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.