Author Topic: Genz Blue Box  (Read 10580 times)

Offline MN Bassfisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Chasing anything that swims in the Midwest
Genz Blue Box
« on: Dec 01, 2015, 02:30 PM »
I will be using a Vexilar FLX-28 this season and I currently have it on an Ultra Pack. I am thinking about using this as my shack setup but I do a lot of moving on the ice when I'm panfishing and I think I'd prefer to have the flasher on a Genz Blue Box. Which is a little more lightweight and customize-able. I have a few ideas on things I'm going to add to my Genz Box but I'd be open to hearing and seeing what you've done with yours!

The question I have, and I think I know the answer, is that with the Genz Box I'll also need to purchase an additional Gimbal Bracket, right?

Offline mbart

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Genz Blue Box
« Reply #1 on: Dec 01, 2015, 03:13 PM »
My Fl-18 Genz box & bucket, purchased the box used with a gimbal bracket to replace the original pro pack. Next modification is to add a charging port so that I don't have to remove the spade connectors to charge the battery.

Offline Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 01, 2015, 03:31 PM »
I like the old vex black ones or the propack I'm not a fan of any of the genz boxes

Offline mbart

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 01, 2015, 05:11 PM »
I like the old vex black ones or the propack I'm not a fan of any of the genz boxes
Care to elaborate your reasons why, I prefer the Genz box. The FL-18 in the picture, purchased 12/03 only things replaced, one battery and the pro pack.

Offline DustyRhyno

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Giddy up!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 01, 2015, 06:16 PM »
I added a swing arm, a couple of rod holders and a foam transducer nest. Unfortunately I don't remember how to post a picture to this site.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #5 on: Dec 01, 2015, 06:30 PM »
Care to elaborate your reasons why, I prefer the Genz box. The FL-18 in the picture, purchased 12/03 only things replaced, one battery and the pro pack.

How did you get a black Genz box? Did you spray paint a blue one?

Offline Duncan77

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 01, 2015, 06:42 PM »
How did you get a black Genz box? Did you spray paint a blue one?

Reeds sporting goods sold the black genz box a few years ago, as a Reeds exclusive.
Don't try to change me, my wife said that's her job.

Offline Duncan77

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 01, 2015, 06:46 PM »
I will be using a Vexilar FLX-28 this season and I currently have it on an Ultra Pack. I am thinking about using this as my shack setup but I do a lot of moving on the ice when I'm panfishing and I think I'd prefer to have the flasher on a Genz Blue Box. Which is a little more lightweight and customize-able. I have a few ideas on things I'm going to add to my Genz Box but I'd be open to hearing and seeing what you've done with yours!

The question I have, and I think I know the answer, is that with the Genz Box I'll also need to purchase an additional Gimbal Bracket, right?

I can't post any pictures of my FLX 28 genz pack ( I am not on Facebook and don't have one of the other accounts to post pictures)if you want PM me and I can email or text you pictures of my set up

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #8 on: Dec 01, 2015, 06:55 PM »
Reeds sporting goods sold the black genz box a few years ago, as a Reeds exclusive.

Dang, wish I woulda got one.

Offline mbart

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Dec 01, 2015, 07:29 PM »

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #10 on: Dec 01, 2015, 07:46 PM »
Liking the look.

Offline Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Dec 01, 2015, 08:01 PM »

I like the P 100 case because it's small and light fits in the small blue soft pack    Pic on page 35 of my posts

Offline MN Bassfisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Dec 02, 2015, 02:12 PM »
I can't post any pictures of my FLX 28 genz pack ( I am not on Facebook and don't have one of the other accounts to post pictures)if you want PM me and I can email or text you pictures of my set up

I connected with Duncan over email and he sent me the pictures of his Genz Box. He gave me permission to share them with everyone here. This box looks sweet! Where did you get the additional Vexilar arm, is that plastic or something heavier?

Offline upnortfishing

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Dec 02, 2015, 05:32 PM »
For Duncan and anyone else wanting to post pictures but not sure how: go to www.imgur.com at the top there is a blue bar that says upload images when you click that a pop-up will come up. You can either click browse your computer to locate the picture files or you can simply drag them from the folder they are in or off your desktop. Once you have found the image file or dragged it into the browser window you can click the Start upload button from there it will show you the picture and to the right of it will be a box that says share link you copy that (control key + C ) , come here click the little button below the B for bold above the text input box you type in to post it will look like this [img) [/img] with your cursor in between, at this point you simply hit control key + v to paste the link.

Offline Duncan77

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 02, 2015, 07:29 PM »
MN Bass Fisher- I ordered the transducer arm from Vexilar, it's the same arm that's on my FS1000 camera. Thanks for posting my pictures

Upnortfishing- Thanks for the info on posting pictures, I will check out that website.

Offline MN Bassfisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Dec 03, 2015, 09:12 AM »
MN Bass Fisher- I ordered the transducer arm from Vexilar, it's the same arm that's on my FS1000 camera. Thanks for posting my pictures

Oh okay, thanks. And no problem!

Offline DustyRhyno

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Giddy up!
« Reply #16 on: Dec 03, 2015, 10:43 AM »
For Duncan and anyone else wanting to post pictures but not sure how: go to www.imgur.com at the top there is a blue bar that says upload images when you click that a pop-up will come up. You can either click browse your computer to locate the picture files or you can simply drag them from the folder they are in or off your desktop. Once you have found the image file or dragged it into the browser window you can click the Start upload button from there it will show you the picture and to the right of it will be a box that says share link you copy that (control key + C ) , come here click the little button below the B for bold above the text input box you type in to post it will look like this [img) [/img] with your cursor in between, at this point you simply hit control key + v to paste the link.

Thanks for the info but i can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. Still can't get it. :(

Offline upnortfishing

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Dec 03, 2015, 10:48 AM »
Yeah as I read it again it is not the easiest guide to follow. I will see about fixing it up.

Offline DustyRhyno

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Giddy up!
« Reply #18 on: Dec 03, 2015, 11:07 AM »
Thanks. It seems the grayer my beard gets the more I struggle with this stuff!  ???

Offline DustyRhyno

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Giddy up!
« Reply #19 on: Dec 04, 2015, 07:04 AM »

Figured it out!

Offline panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Dec 04, 2015, 09:00 AM »
i love my genz box, but if you're wanting the ability to customize, you might consider making your own. i saw instructions in one of my ice fishing books, so i'll try and find/post them sometime this weekend.

Offline Johnsonarcher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 28, 2016, 07:51 AM »
Here are some of my Genz Box mods,

I of course have my Ice Jager GloCup mounted on the front.

I have never been happy with the transducer cable storage on the Genz Box, it has always been my only real disappointment. I decided to print out a cable spool and mount it in one of the holes in the corner of the handle. I can wrap the transducer cable around it for storage and then just unwrap whatever I need to when I pull out the transducer.

My third mod to the box was to add some LED lights. I put a strip around each of the rear corners and connected them to a little toggle switch that sits behind the head unit. I can use them as a lantern for set up and take down. I also use them to light up my deadstick bobbers at night since I usually drill my holes in a triangular pattern. They shine their light accross the ice and I can see the bobbers sticking out the hole pretty well.

It is a never ending work in progress, so I'll post more if I think of anything.

Offline MN Bassfisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Jan 28, 2016, 07:56 AM »
My hole hopping setup in action...

Offline JiggingIowa

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 28, 2016, 09:31 AM »
My hole hopping setup in action...
(Image removed from quote.)

I've been wanting to put a transducer arm on mine, is that the vexilar or marcum arm?

Offline UFCreel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Jan 28, 2016, 11:13 AM »
Didn't like the pro pack that came with my Fl-18. Seems cheap/weak to me. So went with the blue Genz box. I put a longer open eye bolt on mine. No need for a plastic arm. Also have the older version of the flex light. I like it way better than the new ones. Just my two cents.
Flags up! Bobbers down!

Offline MN Bassfisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Jan 28, 2016, 11:56 AM »
I've been wanting to put a transducer arm on mine, is that the vexilar or marcum arm?

It's the Vexilar arm. I cut it about 3/4" behind the swivel point. That way I can wrap up my Transducer cable when done and swing the arm so it's flush against the Genx Box. Without the swivel, I'd be worried about that arm snagging/snapping off.

Offline JiggingIowa

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Jan 28, 2016, 12:45 PM »
It's the Vexilar arm. I cut it about 3/4" behind the swivel point. That way I can wrap up my Transducer cable when done and swing the arm so it's flush against the Genx Box. Without the swivel, I'd be worried about that arm snagging/snapping off.
So you cut off the piece that goes over the rod holder it sounds like then? If so, did you drill it out to attach it?

Offline MN Bassfisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Jan 28, 2016, 03:42 PM »
So you cut off the piece that goes over the rod holder it sounds like then? If so, did you drill it out to attach it?

That's right. I just sunk a screw through the arm and into the Blue Box, right above where the eye bolt would go.

Offline iTinker

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Self purported mad scientist
« Reply #28 on: Dec 10, 2018, 08:18 PM »
Work in progress, but has already done great as my hole hopper this year.

Mods:
Battery meter
On/off switch
250yd fishing line spool for transducer
bait puck (velcro)
Super GlueŽ 3-Loop Utility Holder Organizer

Soon to include:
DIY 24AH 12v 18650 lithium battery with BMS.

"What is this monstrosity? Not going in..." Wife (AM)

"Beer run? We're out..." Wife (mid morning after finishing a 6)

"Can we sleep out on the ice?" Wife (PM)

Yep...

Offline ActiveTrapChecker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Dec 10, 2018, 08:31 PM »
May be an antique, not sure. Anyone familiar with the Genz Ice Box? Was given this a few years back but never opened it. My vex already had a blue box

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.