Author Topic: Exaggerated shipping charges.  (Read 4714 times)

Offline dabluz

• Team IceShanty Addict
Exaggerated shipping charges.
« on: Mar 12, 2014, 03:37 PM »
Well....the other day, I wanted to buy an Eagle Claw Inline Reel.  They are hard to find because they are "out of stock" everywhere.  I did find some on Ebay for 25 dollars.  All by the same seller.  I asked for shipping info and waited....and waited....and waited.  Anyway....there was one reel left so I committed to buy.  I asked for shipping info again and I waited and waited again.  Finally 1 week later the seller advises me that shipping would be almost 47 dollars and that shipping would be through UPS....who would also charge me brokerage costs.  I once bought a small reel from Cabelas a long time ago that was shipped via UPS.  The shipping and brokerage doubled the cost of my 100 dollar reel.  I swore to never again use UPS and I warned as many people on the hunting and fishing sites to steer clear of any seller who uses UPS.

Luckily, the seller allowed me to cancel my Paypal transaction.

I should have asked someone on this site to give me his address and have it sent to him because shipping was free to the U.S. and then ask him to ship the reel to me.  I would have paid for shipping and given a good tip for this favour.

Offline Townie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Exaggerated shipping charges.
« Reply #1 on: Mar 12, 2014, 03:42 PM »
I couldn't understand the $12 shipping fee for my Teardrop from Fishing 13; $130 total. Seen 'em now under $80 free ship. Howz that for a gouge?!
Bulls, Jumbos & Slabs Oh My!

Offline dabluz

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Mar 12, 2014, 04:03 PM »
I couldn't understand the $12 shipping fee for my Teardrop from Fishing 13; $130 total. Seen 'em now under $80 free ship. Howz that for a gouge?!

Yep....the Teardrop and the Black Betty have dropped in price.  Is it because the Eagle Claw Inline reel is so popular?

Offline SpitzoMT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLX-28 Ultra Pack
« Reply #3 on: Mar 12, 2014, 04:29 PM »
I hear ya. Just had five 1/16 ounce lures shipped to me. Lures were crammed into an oversized box stuffed with newspaper. $5.80 to ship $19 worth of lures. Could have been placed in one of those bubble wrap lined envelopes & shipped for a couple bucks or less.

Offline pastaboy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FISH - ON!
« Reply #4 on: Mar 12, 2014, 05:20 PM »
United States Postal Service! If it fits, it ships! $4.95, get a tracking number and I believe $50.00 insurance at no charge.  :flex:

Offline kpd145

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Shove 'em in
« Reply #5 on: Mar 12, 2014, 07:25 PM »
I saw 2 at Dicks yesterday, just hanging on a peg hook.

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, "Wow! What a RIDE!"--Hunter S. Thompson

Offline Reel_Force

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Mar 12, 2014, 07:37 PM »
2oz. jar of glitter (smaller then a Gulp jar) $3.50 ..... Shipping UPS $11.95.   :tipup:

Offline thndrvlly

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Mar 12, 2014, 07:40 PM »
yup called Clam Corp about purchasing replacement poles for my expedition, they were like 19 an change an shipping was like 18 an change so almost 40 dollars to replace one pole, but I actually had to buy the whole set up, after complaining about it, they basically told me shipping is expensive and nobody sells those poles but us. needless to say im fabbing my own pole somehow and ill never buy another clam tent again. 

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • The ice is always safe are you in ???????????????
« Reply #8 on: Mar 12, 2014, 07:47 PM »
shipping and handling  just another capitalist way to increase revenue,so we have to live with it,not join amazon prime free shipping and free up to 2 day shipping no riding around with 4 dollar a gallon gas! amazon fulfillment,ups fedex usps to the front stoop
GOD BLESS
mo
LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART AND SOUL AND STRENGTH and'LOVE THY NEiGHBOR AS THYSELF'   GOD

Offline dabluz

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Mar 12, 2014, 10:14 PM »
I saw 2 at Dicks yesterday, just hanging on a peg hook.

Wow....!!!  None anywhere in Quebec.  Probably not before a couple of years at least.  Stores and store owners don't bother with that new fandangled thing called the internet.

Offline defish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Mar 12, 2014, 10:23 PM »
It's hard to find just the reels, but there are "Eagle Claw Cold Smoke Inline Ice Light Fishing Combos" available online.  Same reel and for only a few bucks more you get a fairly decent rod with it.

Offline fishin machine

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Mar 12, 2014, 10:57 PM »
I absolutely refuse to pay the ridiculous shipping charges some company's charge.
And I make sure to let them know it.
I will do without if I have to.
I know it will likely not matter to the sellers, but it makes me feel good about it.
If your gonna be dumb, You gotta be tough.

Offline iceauger57

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Mar 12, 2014, 11:01 PM »
ordered some pole clips for my ice shanty cost 3.00 for 8 shipping 13.00 unreal ::)

Offline dabluz

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Mar 12, 2014, 11:55 PM »
It's hard to find just the reels, but there are "Eagle Claw Cold Smoke Inline Ice Light Fishing Combos" available online.  Same reel and for only a few bucks more you get a fairly decent rod with it.

Yep....those are the ones.  They usually cost about 35 dollars for the combo.  That means that the rod is 10 dollars.  The 10 dollar rod will cost more for shipping due to size.

Offline dabluz

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Mar 13, 2014, 12:00 AM »
I'm surprised that someone in the U.S. does not buy a few dozen of those reels for 25 dollars and resell them on Ebay for 35 dollars plus actual shipping (plus a small handling fee).  Buy a hundred and make a thousand dollars profit....and a bit more.

These reels are going to cost Canadians at least 40 dollars when they become available to us.  Still more than half the cost of a Line 13 Teardrop or a Black Betty.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #15 on: Mar 13, 2014, 06:53 AM »
Saw some nice Night Vision Glasses on TV. Went to order some and once I got to the Submit button I saw the $10 Glasses were $15.90 to ship them. I never submitted the order and they still charged me. I finally got a hold of them and told them to cancel the order. My account of course has already been charged. They canceled the order and are going to refund my money. Or at least this is what they said. I also told them if I never submitted the order it never happened. Still waiting for the refund.
<===Lefty===

Offline Martian

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Mar 13, 2014, 06:59 AM »
I have to tell you, this is a peeve of mine also. I do believe , the commodity does not matter in the least, s&h is the business  to be in, and where the real profit margin lies

Offline kpd145

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Shove 'em in
« Reply #17 on: Mar 13, 2014, 09:07 AM »

i got the same combo, i use the reel on a different rod but the cold smoke rod is nice, i like the bigger guides on it and the sensitivity and backbone is there.

i prefer a bit longer rod though.  :P
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, "Wow! What a RIDE!"--Hunter S. Thompson

Offline rabbittrapper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Mar 13, 2014, 09:50 AM »
Shipping today is way over priced!!!!!!! :o :o :unsure: :pinch:

Offline Dakota Angler

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fisherman walk on water
« Reply #19 on: Mar 13, 2014, 11:08 AM »
Being in the transportation business what has driven up shipping costs are the fuel costs. Energy prices from the farmer to the store and from the manufacture to warehouse to your house has gone up and up beyond belief. Profit margins are not as big as you think when gas prices go up & down .50 cents a gallon in a few weeks can change your bottom line in a huge way.

Offline SPARKYICE

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Mar 13, 2014, 11:53 AM »
i know a guy who gets rummage sale stuff and sells it at cost on ebay.
he makes his money charging for handling.
he does pretty well at it.
grandpa told me-"never wrestle with a pig. you both get muddy and the pig likes it".

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Mar 13, 2014, 12:12 PM »
Yep....the Teardrop and the Black Betty have dropped in price.  Is it because the Eagle Claw Inline reel is so popular?

Probably because he didn't have the reel, but was buying them from someone or somewhere else at a discount price and had to wait to commit to your sale until he had the actual product in his hands. Basically he was playing the middlemand in the whole scheme of things.
Most sales are final, but I guess that since he may not have had the goods in hand, he "allowed" you to back out of the deal instead of him not being able to deliver the goods. (basically making it look like you screwed up and not him.)

That's just how it looks from here.... ::)

"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Offline Tackle

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Mar 13, 2014, 09:01 PM »
This is pretty common on ebay.

There are times I'll win an item for $.99 and the shipping will be $25+ or whatever the item is worth (let's say it was 25 or 26 in this case). It get's their items noticed by more people and will sell to both people who know the actual value as well as people who think they just got a sweet deal for $.99 and are willing to pay $25 shipping.

My point is...either way they are getting their money. You can charge whatever you want for shipping.
See you on the ice!

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #23 on: Mar 13, 2014, 09:32 PM »
Well....the other day, I wanted to buy an Eagle Claw Inline Reel.  They are hard to find because they are "out of stock" everywhere.  I did find some on Ebay for 25 dollars.  All by the same seller.  I asked for shipping info and waited....and waited....and waited.  Anyway....there was one reel left so I committed to buy.  I asked for shipping info again and I waited and waited again.  Finally 1 week later the seller advises me that shipping would be almost 47 dollars and that shipping would be through UPS....who would also charge me brokerage costs.  I once bought a small reel from Cabelas a long time ago that was shipped via UPS.  The shipping and brokerage doubled the cost of my 100 dollar reel.  I swore to never again use UPS and I warned as many people on the hunting and fishing sites to steer clear of any seller who uses UPS.

Luckily, the seller allowed me to cancel my Paypal transaction.

I should have asked someone on this site to give me his address and have it sent to him because shipping was free to the U.S. and then ask him to ship the reel to me.  I would have paid for shipping and given a good tip for this favour.
[/quote

All listings display the shipping charges to your door. There is no way to pay for an item on ebay without knowing the shipping charge, because the seller CANNOT charge you more than what it says in the listing. Sounds like when you asked repeatedly about the shipping charge, the seller caught wind of a ebay newbie and decided to gouge you for some more money.  ;) ;)
EYECONICFISHING

Offline husb0023

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Punching Holes in Wisconsin Since 1986
« Reply #24 on: Mar 14, 2014, 10:10 AM »
I have a friend in Manitoba who thoroughly abuses me by asking me to bring a truckload of fishing/hunting/home repair items from the states every time I visit him.  I feel like a damn donkey.  Good thing he can put me on some huge pike and lake trout.

Offline blufloyd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #25 on: Mar 14, 2014, 10:28 AM »
I see where Amazon getting sued over that free shipping scam.  I wish someone in canada would send me a 3.2 gallon flush potty....
I fish better with a lit cigar; some people fish better with talent. ~Nick Lyons, Bright Rivers, 1977

Offline dabluz

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Mar 14, 2014, 03:45 PM »
[/quote

All listings display the shipping charges to your door. There is no way to pay for an item on ebay without knowing the shipping charge, because the seller CANNOT charge you more than what it says in the listing. Sounds like when you asked repeatedly about the shipping charge, the seller caught wind of a ebay newbie and decided to gouge you for some more money.  ;) ;)
[/quote]

No.....not for international sales.....not all the time.  Usually, the seller responds with transportation costs before the end of the sale.  Yes....many do say that transport is via UPS or USPS etc but rarely the total for transportation.

Shipping from the U.S. to Canada is usually cheaper than shipping from Canada to the U.S.  I have been buying stuff on Ebay since the year 2000 and have about 400 transactions.  In the case that I mentioned.....shipping was free within the U.S.  A parcel about the size of a reel in a box costs about 10 dollars to ship.  UPS charges more and on top of that charge a brokerage fee which is sometimes double the cost.  The brokerage fee is for sending through customs Canada (which in fact means that UPS makes 2 deliveries).  Customs Canada charges a verification fee (for their time) but there are no importation tarifs on most items since the free trade agreement more than 10 years ago.  Customs will also add sales tax which is about 15%.  Meanwhile, small parcels through USPS of 20 to 30 dollars or less don't even get looked at by Customs.  I've bought lots of used electronic equipment (guitar amps, guitars, etc etc) that were quite large and the only time that customs had a look was when UPS did the transporting.

Offline DAPOS

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Mar 14, 2014, 07:23 PM »
As a merchant, as well as a consumer, I feel your pain on both ends. I use a lot of super light weight plastic containers for my business. It actually costs me MORE for shipping than it does for the cost of the containers! THEN, once I fill the containers and have to SHIP the filled containers....well, you get the idea!!!  I'm sure there are rip offs out there, especially the ones that charge for shipping and HANDLING.....which opens the charge to be any amount they want. If I can, I really try to buy local, OR see if I can get a product "shipped" to a local store (always for free), and then pick it up. Shipping is NEVER going to go down, I'm sorry to say, and it is killing all of us............

Offline dabluz

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Mar 15, 2014, 12:14 AM »
Like I said earlier....I should ask someone here on this site to let me use his address as a shipping address and then ask him or her to ship the item to me.  It's easy to go to the post office with the parcel all wrapped up and find out how much shipping will be.  I then send the money for shipping plus a little something for the favour.  I've done it before with a seller who did not want to ship outside of the U.S.  Yes...there was a lot of fraud at one time but with Paypal or a U.S. money order, you wait for payment before sending the item.  2 years ago, I bought a new Citica 200E (equivalent to today's Curado) for 60 dollars.  I had it sent to a guy on one of the fishing sites and he sent it to me.  Where I live, they cost over 200 dollars.  You can't buy them anymore.  Dandy reel.

Offline nocod

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Mar 16, 2014, 01:47 PM »
Like I said earlier....I should ask someone here on this site to let me use his address as a shipping address and then ask him or her to ship the item to me.  It's easy to go to the post office with the parcel all wrapped up and find out how much shipping will be.  I then send the money for shipping plus a little something for the favour.  I've done it before with a seller who did not want to ship outside of the U.S.  Yes...there was a lot of fraud at one time but with Paypal or a U.S. money order, you wait for payment before sending the item.  2 years ago, I bought a new Citica 200E (equivalent to today's Curado) for 60 dollars.  I had it sent to a guy on one of the fishing sites and he sent it to me.  Where I live, they cost over 200 dollars.  You can't buy them anymore.  Dandy reel.
thata all good untill they send a bag of crystal meth to there house  :o

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.