Author Topic: Fish Belly  (Read 2237 times)

Offline Spicoli

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I fish therefore I am.
Fish Belly
« on: Oct 04, 2004, 06:15 PM »
if you cut off a slab of the belly that is maybe 1 inch wide and 4 inches long and use it with a flyer on a tip up, the pike go crazy for it!

Offline iceintheveins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If you won't fight for freedom, your not American!
Re: Fish Belly
« Reply #1 on: Oct 04, 2004, 08:03 PM »
I was thinking of putting some deadbait like that on a flyer or airplane jig on a wind tip up. Pike just don't hit through the ice around here for some reason. Willing to try just about anything.

Tyler
Politically incorrect, and proud of it.

Offline Spicoli

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I fish therefore I am.
« Reply #2 on: Oct 04, 2004, 09:37 PM »
yeah i just like using something like that cause it stays on better than anything else and really doesn't get chewed up

Offline Trophy Hunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Oct 22, 2004, 05:56 PM »
Spicoli perch belly is awesome!! For everything from walleyes burbot pike and especially perch!! one of my favourite baits when the action is fast and furious it last a long time and it is tough so you don't have to change baits all the time.Mackdaddy there must not be big numbers of pike around there and therefore they aren't the top dawg in the lake mabey making them less aggressive???

Offline iceintheveins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If you won't fight for freedom, your not American!
« Reply #4 on: Oct 22, 2004, 06:51 PM »
Yeah trophy hunter that's pretty much what I decided about the pike around here, must not be that many anymore since the CDOW has a no bag limit rule statewide. I can catch them through open water usually but they can be on the tough side then, 1 - 4 pike is average through open water for me. I use all the classic presentations in open and ice. Must just be a bummer for numbers, though we do have some very big pike. I'm thinking of getting an underwater camera next year just to search out pike habitat in these lakes and see if there are any lollygagging around. Then if I don't see many I will know that they aren't numerous. If I see them all over but inactive, I will know that they must not feed well in the winter here for some reason. I would love to finally get in on some good ice pike action like you guys get. Might have to move for that though.

Tyler
Politically incorrect, and proud of it.

Offline TroutFishingBear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • almost 22" cuttbow, took 6 minutes to land
« Reply #5 on: Oct 23, 2004, 03:06 PM »
CDOW biomass surveys show that the pike numbers are extremely high. But we both know how wrong they can be mack ::) for example not knowing about the hundreds of thousands of lakers in reudi reservoir. ::) I am thinking that the low oxygen content in our lakes because of altitude might shut pike down for some reason???
if anybody from michigan will help me out with the lakes and stuff up here I'd really appreciate it since I'm new to the area.

Offline David_the_fisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Happy Jigging
« Reply #6 on: Dec 12, 2004, 12:07 AM »
hey but then again u might need a big hook or jig which everone though .

happy jigging

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.