Author Topic: Attension K-Mart Shoppers  (Read 2234 times)

Offline Natty

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Only fish on days that end in y
Attension K-Mart Shoppers
« on: Nov 07, 2009, 04:09 PM »
I've been all over the place looking for ice fishing tackle...........walma rt....sams...Dickies.. .....ect.
They all say to early for it or they won't have it this season.           So i stoped at K-MART for the hell of it
And they have 40-ups....Beaver dams and heritage lakers with all the other candy.
I've done so much with so little for so long i can now do the impossible with nothing.

Offline DasRottweiler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • RIP- DR`s AwesomeAustin 9/10/09
Re: Attension K-Mart Shoppers
« Reply #1 on: Nov 07, 2009, 04:19 PM »
K-mart used to be the deal for fishing gear etc. Then Walmart came along and outpriced em. Now Walmart has changed format and caters to yuppies like Target and Kohls . In doing so they removed aisles of sporting goods and replaced them with electronics. Great for China and Korea, not so good at all for the American Sportsman. My area Walmart has NO ice gear at all and it appears there won`t be any. Prime time for the rebirth of the small tackle/bait shop. Perhaps BassRanger opened and closed his store prematurely. Even NorthernBassSupply in Kingston NH, refuses to invest in the winter angler. I bought sum 32 North Stabilicers, made in Biddeford Me by Hardworking Americans, feel good bout that at least. I may have to take a ride to my area K-Mart(hooksett nh) and see if they are gonna participate in winter or not!

Offline wshnIwsfshn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 08, 2009, 06:18 PM »
kmart in salem nh has nothing at all for ice fishing

Offline shadfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Nov 09, 2009, 09:25 PM »
went there today the place has gone down hill not only for ice fishing but fishing in general

Offline NHRenegade

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Nov 09, 2009, 11:06 PM »
Checked out the one in West Lebanon tonight as well, they had a few tip ups and skimmers and a bunch of generic jigging rods, that was about it.  The tip ups were all cheap, not sure if any of them would make it through a season of use.

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #5 on: Nov 10, 2009, 05:12 AM »
I go to Kittery Trading Post or AJ's (local) bait shop so I don't waste my time or money. Walmart, K-Mart and those other retail stores don't seem to want to cater to us ice fishermen / fisherwomen with good quality ice fishing gear.
I like to support those who support me and my type of fishing.

JIGGIN.

Offline NH Trout Fisherman

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Nov 10, 2009, 05:28 AM »
Ya,

I always like going to the local shops and actual outfitters....at least you know they're gonna have what you want (most of the time) an then some.... ;)

Offline Thumber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Sunset on Merrymeeting Lake 3/18/09
« Reply #7 on: Nov 10, 2009, 06:21 AM »
I am not knocking the chain stores, they do have better pricing on some items but these store have to buy in huge's quantities, and most of the time these items are not even made for use in our area. Your local shops have an inventory of items that are more likely to work in our area, the price may be a little higher but on the long run you can get more personal service and information from the local shop. Most shop canhelp you out on a broken rod tip or make small repairs to your reel
 Its pretty nice to walk into a few tackle shops and the people there know your name and you can spend a few minuets talking and getting some good info. on where the fish are. To me that's better than " Welcome to Walmart"
Hosted New England Outdoors New Hampshire Fishing Show 1989 to 1994.

Offline CJiceaddict

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Nov 10, 2009, 01:17 PM »
I am not knocking the chain stores, they do have better pricing on some items but these store have to buy in huge's quantities, and most of the time these items are not even made for use in our area. Your local shops have an inventory of items that are more likely to work in our area, the price may be a little higher but on the long run you can get more personal service and information from the local shop. Most shop canhelp you out on a broken rod tip or make small repairs to your reel
 Its pretty nice to walk into a few tackle shops and the people there know your name and you can spend a few minuets talking and getting some good info. on where the fish are. To me that's better than " Welcome to Walmart"

I agree 100%. We have Steve's over in north hartland and he has just about everything you could want for icefishing. Anything he doesn't have he can order. I can always get good tackle, bait and decent info there. When I have gone to places like walmart in the past, you bring the icefishing stuff to the counter and you get asked what it is....

Offline lake snake

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Nov 10, 2009, 03:41 PM »
I agree 100%. We have Steve's over in north hartland and he has just about everything you could want for icefishing. Anything he doesn't have he can order. I can always get good tackle, bait and decent info there. When I have gone to places like walmart in the past, you bring the icefishing stuff to the counter and you get asked what it is....

Steve is great. Always good for a laugh, and treats his customers well.

Offline NH piker

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I'm tracker2011 on MFF
« Reply #10 on: Nov 12, 2009, 04:04 PM »
I agree with the last two posts abouts Steve's.  He has anything you need and his prices are decent as well...I don't waste my time looking at the big stores....I always make a Kittery trip before ice comes along..

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Nov 12, 2009, 04:10 PM »
Well, I stopped at my local K-tard today to get bread and milk. Of course I had to mosey on over to the fishing section. They had there ice gear out ad I was kind of excited. They even had a couple portables for sale to boot. MY local K-tard might be catching on.
The angle of the dangle is directly proportionate to the heat of the beat.
http://i63.tinypic.com/ei5njr.png

Offline JimB

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • gone thinking
« Reply #12 on: Nov 16, 2009, 03:20 PM »
Stoped at Granite State Rod & Reel today in Nashua he had plenty of ice gear. Joe is a good guy with a lot of info.

Offline Zorros shack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish N.E. >)))>
« Reply #13 on: Nov 17, 2009, 03:22 PM »
Usually the small bait stores will have better quality and better prices if Waliworld does not sell ice gear.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.