Author Topic: Rotary Derby  (Read 1813 times)

Offline NH Fishin Fool

• Team IceShanty Regular
Rotary Derby
« on: Oct 25, 2009, 05:12 PM »
Anyone else think its a bit early this year, Jan 30-31???

I have to plan my time off early and hope it doesn't get postponed due to lack of ice like a couple of years ago.

Offline Meppsfan

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Rotary Derby
« Reply #1 on: Oct 25, 2009, 06:09 PM »
I always thought late Feb was perfect, why do they need to push it up and take a chance on no ice? I don't know about everyone else, but we find a house to rent every year and if they did postpone the derby it would be a huge hassle. Who knows cross our fingers on early ice...
There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the ice like an idiot.

Offline bassin329

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Oct 25, 2009, 08:38 PM »
I to rented a place on Paugus Bay, the Lazy E motor-in. Last year I fished the Mills river area. We had about 15 inches of ice with about a foot of snow on it, if my memory is correct. I dont have a shanty, or drive out on the ice but, I think a week earlier might only be a 1 or 2 inch differance if things are slow getting started. Wasn't the derby the first week in Feb last year(7th and 8th) Good luck out there.
Respect the land and water you tread on, it's not just yours.

Offline james

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Oct 26, 2009, 09:31 AM »
this was taken from winnipesaukee.com

Hi-The date is determined by a couple of factors: The Superbowl-we certainly can't compete with that, so always wait until the date for upcoming Superbowl is announced before we even discuss a date. Then, we have to deal with the school vacations in February that cross-over weekends-can't compete with family vacations either!! Then, we try to not compete with the sled dog races that are held in Feb.... and there are only so many weekends. You can't schedule too far out, because the sun is really warm at end of Feb, beginning of March, and you can't schedule too early, because the ice may not be there. Every year the Derby Chairmen (3 of them) are extremely anxious about the final date. We've only moved the date once that I can recall and that was just a couple years ago. Moving the date throws a wrench into everything!

http://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7412&highlight=rotary+derby

Offline Capt. Black

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "Deserves got nothing to do with it."
« Reply #4 on: Oct 26, 2009, 11:35 AM »
Anyone know the average ice-in date for Winni?  Seems to me it is around Feb. 8 or so. 

Offline JoeG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Oct 26, 2009, 01:03 PM »
Been fishing it for 25+ years and it has been moved 2 or 3 times. The 30th is too early. The 7th of Feb is even pushing it. Very rarely is there a foot of ice on the 30th  ;D

Offline Thumber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Sunset on Merrymeeting Lake 3/18/09
« Reply #6 on: Oct 26, 2009, 06:30 PM »
I think its to early for a derby date, what was it 3 years ago they were thinking of moving the date ahead due to no ice and warn temps maybe 2006  I think it was Feb. 2nd weekend that year
Hosted New England Outdoors New Hampshire Fishing Show 1989 to 1994.

Offline NH Fishin Fool

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Oct 26, 2009, 06:36 PM »
It just stinks gambling on taking that weekend off just to have it pushed back 2 weeks and I can't go.

Many people are in the same boat with hotels and such.

I know there is a lot going on with the superbowl and all, but the vacation excuse is lame. I think they would get more families if they did it during vacation week. Just my .02 cents tho.

Offline JoeG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Oct 26, 2009, 07:00 PM »
It makes no sense that they're doing it early. Every year it seems I'm wondering if there's going to be enough ice, and that's either feb 10th or later. I think they 're doing it on purpose. If it gets canceled, people still go up and spend money anyway. I did.

Offline Thumber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Sunset on Merrymeeting Lake 3/18/09
« Reply #9 on: Oct 27, 2009, 11:27 AM »
Here's your chance to be heard, contact The Meredith Rotary Derby.

http://www.meredithrotary.com/
Hosted New England Outdoors New Hampshire Fishing Show 1989 to 1994.

Offline jibbs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • C:\Documents and Settings\jgirard\My Documents\My
« Reply #10 on: Oct 27, 2009, 03:32 PM »
i don't fish the derby, but i think it would make sense to push it into the middle of february......then you wouldn't have to worry about safer ice.....with all the cars and people i would want to make it 100 percent safe.....
when chuck norris played golf for money, chuck marked down a hole in zero every time, the golf pro said, "chuck: you can't score zero on a hole." Chuck norris turned towards the man and said, "I'm chuck norris, the man proceeded to pour gas over his body and set himself on fire because that would be less painful than getting roundhouse kicked by chuck norris....chuck norris roundhouse kicked him in the face anyways

Offline thefinlessbrown2

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • fulfilling dreams in good company
« Reply #11 on: Oct 28, 2009, 09:13 AM »
Been fishing it for 25+ years and it has been moved 2 or 3 times. The 30th is too early. The 7th of Feb is even pushing it. Very rarely is there a foot of ice on the 30th  ;D
joe your right on the money!!it has been moved 2 or 3 times and it was always postponed because it was scheduled at the end of january instead of the first weekend in feb..

Offline thefinlessbrown2

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • fulfilling dreams in good company
« Reply #12 on: Oct 28, 2009, 09:16 AM »

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #13 on: Oct 28, 2009, 09:17 AM »
Fish the Newfound Derby instead. No date yet, but will keep you posted. Prizes arent as big as the Meredith derby however the taxes on your winnings arent as big either.

JIGGIN.

Offline Capt. Black

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "Deserves got nothing to do with it."
« Reply #14 on: Oct 28, 2009, 12:00 PM »
Fish the Newfound Derby instead. No date yet, but will keep you posted. Prizes arent as big as the Meredith derby however the taxes on your winnings arent as big either.

JIGGIN.
Yes, but there are no fish in Newfound! ;D

Offline Home Wood

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Oct 28, 2009, 03:17 PM »
I hope it doesn't get postponed, but I built in the following two weekends into my vacation. Over 3 weeks of snowmobiling and icefishing!!  The school vacation excuse is ridiculous.
2004 Honda Rancher 350 4x4
2014 Honda Foreman
2005 Arctic Cat Sabercat 600
Jiffy auger
lots of tip ups
2 slush spoons

Offline CJiceaddict

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Oct 28, 2009, 03:50 PM »
I agree. When I was in school if that had been my vacation I would have been pumped! Guess we can just hope for the best, maybe we;ll have good ice the first day January

Offline Meppsfan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Oct 28, 2009, 04:11 PM »
What are the entry fees and the prize structures of the nubi derby? Maybe we could get to both if it works out right.
There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the ice like an idiot.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.