Author Topic: Depth finder question  (Read 1915 times)

Offline 1969starcraft

• IceShanty Rookie
  • My 19 foot winter home
Depth finder question
« on: Mar 23, 2009, 06:33 PM »
I am going to use my depth finder i took off my boat for ice fishing next year. My question is if you do this does the transducer have to be under the ice, or just in the water? Didnt know if the ice would effect it in some way. Thanks.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
Re: Depth finder question
« Reply #1 on: Mar 23, 2009, 07:41 PM »
IMHO the transducer should be in the water, far enough down in the hole that the bottom of the ice doesn't interfere with the signal from the transmitter and level. I don't know of anyone around here that has left the transducer  on top of the ice while actually fishing.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Mar 23, 2009, 08:51 PM »
I rigged one up last year. I used a 12" dowel so when the ice got over 10" it was just hanging in the hole. Seemed to work pretty well, investing in a marcum for next year.

EYECONICFISHING

Offline 1969starcraft

• IceShanty Rookie
  • My 19 foot winter home
« Reply #3 on: Mar 25, 2009, 09:14 PM »
Ok thanks, and yah I wasn't going to leave it on top of the ice, I know it has to be at least in the water.

Offline miket.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • ICE IS NICE
« Reply #4 on: Mar 26, 2009, 08:17 AM »
I am going to use my depth finder i took off my boat for ice fishing next year. My question is if you do this does the transducer have to be under the ice, or just in the water? Didnt know if the ice would effect it in some way. Thanks.
this is exactly what i have been doing the past couple of years. i have the unit mounted on a orange box with the transducer mounted to the side of the box. when i use it , i just turn the transducer facing down which leaves it just sitting in the hole.it doesn:t have to be completely in the hole to work,just so the bottom of the transducer is covered by water.make sure your transducer is in enough so as to not get the edges of the ice hole while taking readings.wish i had a camera so i can show you a pic.
hard core fanatic  Http:
http://timeanddate.com/s/1a9j

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.