Author Topic: Some Bayrunner Mods  (Read 35364 times)

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Some Bayrunner Mods
« on: Mar 08, 2014, 07:55 PM »
I really like my Bayrunner but like any thing it can be improved... I though I'd share some of the things I've done to mine.
First I added a back rest to the sliding bench with a set of hinges from a folding boat seat, for the rest itself I used the electronics shelf... I figured it was already the right width and is finished in the same carpet as the seat. This left me open to make my own electronics shelf. I used pine boards and finished with some left over cherry stain I had. I have my HB 598 HD DI/SI mounted to it with a lower shelf that holds a 12 AH battery, a 110 inverter, and room for four 3700 size tackle boxes. Also a small raised carpeted floor section for my beagle Jezzabelle to get comfy on, it's just a 30"x16" piece of plywood with 3" legs and a thin pad and a bathroom carpet mat covering it. And lastly, not so much a mod but a tip... A bungee cord stretched across the two roof poles will work well as a rod holder and keeps them out of the way but irght in reach at the same time.

"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline skulldugary

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
Re: Some Bayrunner Mods
« Reply #1 on: Mar 09, 2014, 05:03 AM »
Nice mods....well done!!

Offline dab65

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Mar 09, 2014, 05:06 AM »
Nice job 800! I use the bungee cord idea for my summer rods in my garage but never thought of using it for my ice rods in my portable.

Offline P Meyette

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Mar 09, 2014, 08:26 AM »
very nice mods should work great

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Mar 09, 2014, 10:00 AM »
Thanks everyone, now if I could find the time to get it on the ice. Day light savings time should help, it's easier to get out after work with an extra hour of sunshine...
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline Beeler

« Reply #5 on: Mar 09, 2014, 02:17 PM »
I like the mods, nice job!

Offline hoosierdad

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Mar 09, 2014, 11:38 PM »
great job
love to fish....hate to work

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Mar 09, 2014, 11:47 PM »
nice mods!!! I really liked the folding seat, great thinking using the hinges off a boat seat....

Offline johnnieb71

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Nov 16, 2014, 06:30 AM »
How do you like the Bayrunner overall. I just bought one and I am waiting for it to be shipped.

Offline ready2fish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Nov 16, 2014, 08:19 AM »
Job well done!!

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Nov 16, 2014, 10:46 AM »
How do you like the Bayrunner overall. I just bought one and I am waiting for it to be shipped.

I love it. It' similar to using a flip but you have a floor. Once the fish move on all you gotta do is pull up the ducer close the hatches and move... no shutting off the heater, or putting stuff into the tub to move. I put a couple eyebolts in the front and back to tie it down but have never need to even on the windy days it stays put when I'm out tending traps. The only complaint I have is it's heavy... not so bad when heading out in the morning or bouncing around the lake but that last 5 minutes after the drag back to the truck and then having to lift it in to the truck or get it in the back of the SUV after your tired from being out all day is a pain... but well worth the effort. I'm sure you'll be happy with it.

Offline Minnowhead

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Nov 18, 2014, 09:15 AM »
This is awesome. I just picked one of these up and will look into doing some similar mods myself. Thanks for sharing.
Confucious say: "Wise man waits till Winter to walk on water!"

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #12 on: Nov 18, 2014, 09:20 AM »
800stealth  Looks like you have inspired some folks ...this looks to be a popular model for upgrade/mods this thread will be active for seasons to come.

Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Nov 18, 2014, 11:35 AM »
Thanks guys, glad to share... I've got some plans for rod holders and a possible rattle wheel that I'll be working on over the next couple weeks... I'm also considering putting in a small monitor for use with the new Marcum wifi cam....  I'll keep this thread updated as the projects go.

Offline GenooC

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Dec 02, 2014, 08:58 PM »
Really like the seat.  I planned on building my own electronics shelf, but it never occurred to me to use the one that came with it as a seat back.  my bayrunner is still in the box - I will post some pics of my mods as I get them installed.

Offline Beeler

« Reply #15 on: Dec 04, 2014, 09:44 PM »
I sat in a Bayrunner today at Fleet Farm, I thought it was a nice shack. I like the idea you can move and not have to foiled it up.
Good luck for all the guys that bought one. 

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Dec 06, 2014, 10:51 AM »
Finally finished up my rod holder last night. The base is a pine board with 4 conduit clips on the back so I can pop it in and out when folding up. I just ordered the clips from Shappell but I'm guessing something could be found at the hardware store. The "rocket launchers" are just under sink drain pipes but they polish up nice, are super light and a $4.50 a piece a good deal. At first I thought I would be able to put the holder anywhere... front wall, back wall, or over head but after some measuring found that the frame work is 44" wide at the roof line but only 42" at the sled base. So the clips must be positioned on a slight angle to accommodate this, now it will only fit on the front or rear at a specific height. Once I found it would have to be done this way I decided to angle the holders so the rod tips wouldn't block my view out the windows. I still have to cover the bolt heads on the back with something so the will not rub the fabric when its windy. At 5 pounds I think the bit of extra weight will be worth the convenience. I was also pleasantly surprised how much it stiffens up the structure.
The next project is installing some l.e.d. lighting, I'd like to get after the night time Crappie more this year and now I'm just using a ufo light hanging from the roof bar.

Sorry about the pic clarity... probably should have wiped off the lense, I was wondering why it wouldn't auto focus lol.

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Dec 06, 2014, 09:09 PM »
The rod holder is beautiful! I'm contemplating getting a bay runner next year for taking my sons out on the ice with me

Catchin' Fish

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Dec 07, 2014, 07:33 AM »
Thanks.

Offline river rat78

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Dec 07, 2014, 08:08 AM »
The rod holder is beautiful! I'm contemplating getting a bay runner next year for taking my sons out on the ice with me

The bay runner is more of a 1 man shanty. You might be able to fit 1 average size adult plus 1 small kid.

Offline johnnieb71

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Dec 07, 2014, 06:48 PM »
The Bay Runner mods are pretty sweet  there 800. I got mine assembled now and I am definitely going to use some of your ideas. Now we need some ice. I think my first project is going to be a Smitty Sled because this sled doesn't look like it would be fun after a good snow.

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Dec 07, 2014, 07:20 PM »
Thanks.
Yeah they're pretty heavy after there's a few inches, I fish mostly small ponds that don't require much walking so I haven't gone the smitty route yet. When I do hit the big lakes I drag it with a Sportsman 800.

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Dec 13, 2014, 04:01 PM »
Did the carpet today. I just cut it to fit snug around the hatches and it stays put without glue or tape, same with the hatches themselves... the carpet is stiff enough that when pushed into place it's nice and tight. Bayrunners are tough to drain if they get water in them so I wanted to be able to just take it out any time, this way I can just lift it up or pull it out to dry the tub. This carpet is not outdoor carpet, it's just left over from when I did my Bedroom. I don't care if it only lasts a season or two, I still have enough to make 2 more sets. It takes a piece 56"x37.5" to cover the bottom front to back. This particular stuff was a bit over 3 pounds. I think it will help keep it warmer but it's mostly for my dog.

Offline icebucketjohn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Dec 13, 2014, 07:00 PM »
Realy nice innovations.  Thanks for sharing.  Now what about lighting.... LED Strip Light?
Ice-Fisherman: We're all highly addicted, shivering, psychotic patients in the asylum of the frigid.

Offline FrostBack

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Vegetarian: Cree word meaning poor hunter!
« Reply #24 on: Dec 13, 2014, 07:24 PM »
Nice job, It even looks comfy....enjoy your time in it!

The difference between an 8" hole and a 10" hole is.....a 10" hole will usually give you your boot back!

In the food chain of life...its not good to be referred to as: "a good eating size".

Offline topwaterbait

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Dec 13, 2014, 08:43 PM »
Great job!

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Dec 13, 2014, 09:14 PM »
Thanks guys... My beagle climbed in it and curled up under the seat a little while ago, I think she's itchin for ice as bad as me lol.
Icebucketjohn... Yeah, gonna go with the same led strips I use in my boat, they will go on the roof poles with adhesive tape and the wires fed down through the poles to hide/protect them.

Offline Monovasia

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Dec 13, 2014, 09:30 PM »
Beautiful job on the mods...the shelf and rod holder is really well done...like to rug as well.....snow tmrw...hopefully the weather will be changing over....benn real warm here the last two weeks

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #28 on: Dec 14, 2014, 03:49 AM »
Very nice and neat job once again . :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline P Meyette

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Dec 14, 2014, 07:29 AM »
great going should be great

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.