Author Topic: Waterproofing a Thermal Hut?  (Read 2413 times)

Offline DrummerManDrew

• Team IceShanty Regular
Waterproofing a Thermal Hut?
« on: Jan 15, 2021, 01:50 PM »
I have thumbed through some previous threads but can’t find what I'm looking for.

I have a thermal hut, 8x8 900 denier and have some question about serious wet conditions. A buddy and I are talking about what this hut would do in the result of a "all day" rain situation. We both agree that the way these thermal huts are designed allow the breathability for vapor extrusion. I have seen some people on here suggestion a scotch guard and other repellants however,  again my buddy and I agree that doing this will prevent the hut from breathing and cause some other items as a result. Some guys suggest getting a rain cap type thing for tents and using this as a shield, but that’s a loose piece of material and in windy condition could take off in hopes of traveling the world.

What I am coming to the team asking is, has anyone done anything that has worked with a thermal before, or should I consider a non-insulated shelter just for the raining days. Just to be clear, I’m not trying to start a “Who has the best Hut” or “What should I Buy” thread, rather what people do with thermal huts in all day rain conditions.

Much appreciation
Be well and DO Good Work!

Offline Knife2sharp

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Waterproofing a Thermal Hut?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 15, 2021, 02:00 PM »
I guess if it's raining it's not very cold, so you wouldn't need a thermal one.  Also, the thermal ones tend to have those little pin holes where the stitching is, so I don't even know if there's anything you can apply that would seal those.  If it were me, I'd stay home on a rainy day, over buying an extra house just for rainy weather.  Plus, it doesn't rain much in the winter, at least here in the upper Midwest.
I don't post on IceShanty often, but when I do - #Legendary

Offline krispcritter

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 15, 2021, 02:19 PM »
My frabill says to use camp dry if extra water repellent is needed
To make a small fortune in business start with a Large one.,

Offline pmaloney86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 15, 2021, 02:24 PM »
i think shanties are made to be a little porous otherwise they'd be fogged up like crazy.  If you really want to make it water tight you could use something like FlexSeal on the seams and the camp dry on other parts.  FlexSeal has been known to work for leaky waders.  You could also bring a tarp and put it over the shanty like a rain fly on a tent.
westernmas on the finder

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Jan 15, 2021, 02:27 PM »
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline DrummerManDrew

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 15, 2021, 03:17 PM »
i think shanties are made to be a little porous otherwise they'd be fogged up like crazy.  If you really want to make it water tight you could use something like FlexSeal on the seams and the camp dry on other parts.  FlexSeal has been known to work for leaky waders.  You could also bring a tarp and put it over the shanty like a rain fly on a tent.

Thanks for the suggestion, I saw this mentioned in the other previous posting and there was a whole lot of controversy over the application and how messing/ didn’t work. Resulted in a classic shanty “I know better than everyone” type thing.

I am not trying to lock everything up as it is important for the hut to breath. I’m just wondering if there something that can help shed rain on a thermal so it doesn’t get soaked. It does have a 900 denier exterior  liner so it is strong. Some have suggested Dry Camp repellent and Clam calls out a Similar product. I was just wonder what others have done that worked.

It doesn’t rain a lot in the winters season out here, it’s more for those moments if you have buddy’s that have limited days to fish and you want to go a brave the weather outings. If it’s complete trash outside, I’d more than likely just stay home.

Offline DrummerManDrew

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 15, 2021, 03:18 PM »
From Clam FAQ

https://clamoutdoors.com/pages/customer-support

I did see this and thanks for sharing. Have you used this stuff on a thermal before?

Offline Nysrx

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 15, 2021, 03:22 PM »
I would just drape it with plastic or a cheap light weight tarp for the few times you might be out in the in the winter. .

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8 on: Jan 15, 2021, 03:32 PM »
I did see this and thanks for sharing. Have you used this stuff on a thermal before?

Not on a Thermal ..but turkey blinds and other gear ... Atsko SILICONE WATER-GUARD - 10.5 OZ. AEROSOL worked well for me...got it at Walmart.

https://www.atsko.com/silicone-water-guard-10-5-oz-aerosol/
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9 on: Jan 15, 2021, 03:33 PM »
I would just drape it with plastic or a cheap light weight tarp for the few times you might be out in the in the winter. .

Spray a moving blanket or two from Harbor Freight with the above spray and drape them over the top

Offline bikrsrule

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 15, 2021, 03:44 PM »
Leave the hut at home and wear a rainsuit.. :o

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #11 on: Jan 15, 2021, 05:01 PM »
You are correct in that the thermal insulation holds air and needs to breathe so to speak. The roof, spray her down with camp dry. If the sides get wet, you wont get wet so they dont matter. The roof is where the rain issue is, and I spray down my tents and my bibs with camp dry every year. (dont get the knockoff stuff, get the real deal).

A tarp over top like you would an actual tent is another obvious way to keep the rain off, too much hassle for me though.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #12 on: Jan 15, 2021, 05:13 PM »
i just came back and Eskimo Outbreak repelled water just fine like an umbrella.  The only problem was the windows dripped water because of the velcrow design.

The carry bag was soaked damp.
For more information read my MN nice journal

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #13 on: Jan 15, 2021, 05:19 PM »
i just came back and Eskimo Outbreak repelled water just fine like an umbrella.  The only problem was the windows dripped water because of the velcrow design.

The carry bag was soaked damp.

That can be waterproofed sprayed w/o worry.

Offline DrummerManDrew

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 15, 2021, 05:44 PM »
So far - I like Kevin23 idea the best of taking repellent to the top and leaving the sides alone. I also agree with him on the tarps, you can do that but that's not in the cards for me. So no plastic and no tarps. As far as being suggested to wear a rain suit and leave the hut at home... that's pretty clever!

I think what I'm going to do is take the hut out tomorrow as is, and see how the element really work against the gear. It's a clam hut, a few years old but I don't think they make this model anymore, but they have stuff out there similar now. It does have a 900 Denier on it, so my thoughts are to really test this thing in some poor weather and see if I need to wear a rain suit inside the hut or not.

Either way, after the trip tomorrow, Im gonna take Kevin23 advice and hit the top with some good product and leave the sides alone.

Ill post with some pictures how the hut handles before and after is I have another day where fishing in the rain sounds like fun!

Thanks guys!

Offline bigfoot86

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Jan 15, 2021, 07:12 PM »
I used camp dry and doubled up on it.  Seemed to do the job so far.  Don't use my fishtrap that often so haven't been exposed to the elements a whole lot.

Offline DrummerManDrew

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 16, 2021, 10:52 AM »
Aright! What an experiences!
The top of the hut was good, no water coming through but the sides, around the stitching. Walls got wet, everything got wet! lol
Either way a great failure shared with my friends on here. Im gonna go get everything set up and start running heaters to get every thing dried out.

Will I do this again? If the fish are hitting and this is what it takes to have a great day, and all i have to do is dry out some gear... Absolutely.

Cheers Guys

Offline gofishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 16, 2021, 05:50 PM »
ReviveX and 303 Fabric Guard are just two products that are made for restoring water repellency to breathable fabrics. I don't think there is anything that will make them waterproof without defeating the purpose of the breathable fabric.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #18 on: Jan 17, 2021, 08:40 AM »
Aright! What an experiences!
The top of the hut was good, no water coming through but the sides, around the stitching. Walls got wet, everything got wet! lol
Either way a great failure shared with my friends on here. Im gonna go get everything set up and start running heaters to get every thing dried out.

Will I do this again? If the fish are hitting and this is what it takes to have a great day, and all i have to do is dry out some gear... Absolutely.

Cheers Guys

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Coleman-2-Ounce-Waterproof-Seam-Sealer-for-Tent-Seams/13848651

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Seam-Sure-Seam-Sealer/28613746

I have used the Coleman EZPZ on the seams of my Turkey Blind

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #19 on: Jan 17, 2021, 12:37 PM »
I haven't done it because I'm lazy and I don't get that wet in my otter but I'd take some loon uv wader repair and hit the seams on the roof where the stiching is and be done with it.  The simple and low cost solution is secure a tarp over the top of your flip over or put it above your head on the inside (a buddy does the later and it works fine. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.