Author Topic: Building a Tip Down Shanty  (Read 94934 times)

Offline Beeler

Building a Tip Down Shanty
« on: Sep 21, 2013, 12:52 PM »
Hi Everyone, I'm going to build a Tip Down Shanty and I'll add some pictures as the build progress. I could not find any plans on the internet so I'm going to wing it. Their is one video on Youtube but the guy is just showing his completed shack. I started ice fishing 6 years ago and in that time I had many different shacks. A clam, hub and 2 flip overs and I also built 3 Michiana fold down shacks with a few mods. My plan is to build a 5'x6' shanty and rip 2x6's for the studs and rafters then use treated 2x4's for the floor with 1/2" treated plywood. I'll sheet the outside with 1/2" R-Board, it has a fiberglass finished on both sides. Then warp the shanty with blue boat plastic shrink wrap (free). I'm not sure how long the shrink wrap will last. For Starters I bought this trailer for $125.00 with very good tires and a spare. Any input or thoughts are welcome.
Beeler    [         

Offline Clear_Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Building a Tip Down Shanty
« Reply #1 on: Sep 22, 2013, 10:38 AM »
are you gonna build the shack all the way up the V of the trailer?

Go Beavers!

Offline Beeler

« Reply #2 on: Sep 22, 2013, 06:25 PM »
The top of the back wall will be resting on the square tubing by the "V" and then the roof will be 24 inches beyond that. The 2 inch square tubes just clear the fenders.

Offline Beeler

« Reply #3 on: Sep 22, 2013, 06:45 PM »
Well, I made some design changes. After making the back wall out of 1-1/2" x 2-1/2" studs I could tell that if I framed all the walls like that it would get very heavy. So now the last 3 walls will be 1-1/2" x 1-1/2" just to keep it light. I had 2x4's in the corners with the 1-1/2" x 2-1/2" studs but removed the 2x4's. I dado all my joints to keep it strong and their is 3/8" plywood on the back wall. After reading many postings on this site the name of the game for building a ice shack is....... "build it light"

Offline Icer 16

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Sep 22, 2013, 09:37 PM »
Looking good so far!  Keep it as light as you can!   Where are you getting boat shrink wrap for FREE??!?!?!?!!?

Offline chuckrudy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Sep 22, 2013, 09:41 PM »
Good luck on the new shanty. Keep us posted. :tipup: :icefish:

Offline Beeler

« Reply #6 on: Sep 22, 2013, 10:04 PM »
I get the boat shrink wrap free from a guy I know that wraps about 30-35 boats in the fall.
There's not enough left on a roll to cover another boat so he gave me a roll that is 12' x 16'.

Offline Walleye64

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Sep 23, 2013, 06:20 PM »
I built a 5'4"x6' tip over ice shack/ spearing shack. 6'x32" spearing hole. 2x2 studs, with 1/4" luan plywood for the wall sheeting, and aluminum exterior. 1 guy can move it around and tip it down. my yamaha tri-moto 225 moves it around on the ice. if I had to guess it's around 500 lbs with the trailer. it tows great on hwy 41 at 70mph. I'll post pics, hopefully they work...

Offline Beeler

« Reply #8 on: Sep 23, 2013, 10:17 PM »
Nice Tip Down shanty!
I like the aluminum exterior.

Offline Beeler

« Reply #9 on: Sep 24, 2013, 08:30 PM »
I welded the square tube in place and made sure the back wall fit. Then I drilled the holes for the bolts to mount the back wall to the sq. tubes.

icewagon

« Reply #10 on: Sep 24, 2013, 08:47 PM »
Very nice tip down Beeler ,wish we could do that here in Pa. Hope to live further north some day. @)

Offline Beeler

« Reply #11 on: Sep 25, 2013, 04:43 PM »
Well, I had a great day working on my shanty.
I finished all my welding and then cleaned the welds and sprayed them with a primer.
Mounted the back wall on the frame with some bolts, then mounted the floor and walls with a few screws and bolts just to see if everything fits. I do need to add some corner braces to make it a solid frame. Right now I have 18# of tongue weight, it was easy to tilt up and to bring it down, I know that will change when the roof is built.

Offline chuckrudy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Sep 25, 2013, 05:30 PM »
nice :tipup: :icefish:

Offline Clear_Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Sep 25, 2013, 07:26 PM »
That's looking really good already! It's a little disorienting to see it with the wholes somewhere other than on the floor haha. For the time being anyways.  ::)

Go Beavers!

Offline da man cave shack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Drillin for a thrillin.
« Reply #14 on: Sep 26, 2013, 12:23 PM »
looking good. :thumbsup: you are really moving along.

Offline Clear_Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Sep 29, 2013, 08:34 AM »
That's looking really good already! It's a little disorienting to see it with the wholes somewhere other than on the floor haha. For the time being anyways.  ::)

I just noticed that I wrote "wholes" instead of holes... oh jeeze...  :-\

Go Beavers!

Offline Beeler

« Reply #16 on: Sep 30, 2013, 05:14 PM »
Hey Clear Ice, don't worry about it, wait until you see some of my spelling. Sometime my mind moves faster then my fingers. 

Offline Beeler

« Reply #17 on: Sep 30, 2013, 06:46 PM »
Didn't get anything done on the shanty this past weekend to many other things going on.

But on Monday I removed the fender and sanded the whole trailer.
Then sprayed a coat of primer. Tuesday I'll spray a coat of semi-gloss black and let that dry until Thursday.

Offline Clear_Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Sep 30, 2013, 08:32 PM »
Color for the fish house is gonna be?

Go Beavers!

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Sep 30, 2013, 08:43 PM »
Hey Clear Ice, don't worry about it, wait until you see some of my spelling. Sometime my mind moves faster then my fingers.
I do the same thing all the time and it seems like I dropped out after 5th grade. LOL

Offline Beeler

« Reply #20 on: Oct 01, 2013, 05:55 AM »
Color for the fish house is gonna be?
I'm using BLUE boat shrink warp.

Offline P Meyette

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Oct 01, 2013, 07:32 AM »
nice going so far keep up the good work and more pictures

Offline Beeler

« Reply #22 on: Oct 03, 2013, 07:26 PM »
Now to re-assembly the floor and walls. This time I used construction adhesive and deck screws to fasten everything together and added corner braces. 5/16" bolts were used to bolt the back wall to the frame and the bottom plate for the studs are also treated 2x2's. I just thought with the snow and water in the shanty it would last longer. Lindseed oil was brushed unto the back of the luan just in case I get a hole in the shrink wrap. By using glue I think it adds strength to the frame and makes the frame feel solid. 
This weekend I should get the roof framed.   

Offline Beeler

« Reply #23 on: Oct 06, 2013, 07:03 PM »
Well, I worked on the roof today while listening to the Packer game on the radio, but ended up watching the 4th quarter on TV. So the walls are 6'-3" and to the peak of the roof is 7 foot,  I need to frame out 2 windows and build a door. Planning on picking up the 1/2" R-board this week. I'll glue and use roofing nails to fasten the sheathing to the studs and rafters. Now I have 28 pounds of tongue weight but still easy enough to pick it up.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Oct 06, 2013, 07:10 PM »
You could use the tounge of the trailer as a flag or pole while the shanty is set up.  :)

Offline Beeler

« Reply #25 on: Oct 07, 2013, 07:51 AM »
You could use the tounge of the trailer as a flag or pole while the shanty is set up.  :)
Ya, that would be cool, but if its windy out the flapping of the flag might be noisy. I was thinking of putting a
TV antenna on top but make it removable with a wireless remote control so I can get the best reception.

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Oct 11, 2013, 02:25 PM »
I never knew such shanties existed! How hard are they to tip down once you arrive? And how about tipping back over? Can one person do it? It's genius!! I want one.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline Beeler

« Reply #27 on: Oct 11, 2013, 03:19 PM »
I never knew such shanties existed! How hard are they to tip down once you arrive? And how about tipping back over? Can one person do it? It's genius!! I want one.
Right now the tongue weight is 28#, you can pick the tongue up with one hand and once the back of the trailer touches the ground (ice) you walk forward hand over hand on the tongue until bottom of the floor rest on the ground (ice). To bring it down you stand on the axel and your hands on the tongue and you lean back then walk the tongue back to the ground, one person can easily do this. 
When I get the shanty finished I have a friend that will video tape this and I'll post it on YouTube.

Offline Beeler

« Reply #28 on: Oct 12, 2013, 05:51 PM »
For the walls I used 1/2" 4'x8' foiled insulation board. I was going to use R-Board but after picking it up it was way heavier then the foil sheathing and the foil was $5.00 a sheet cheaper. Construction adhesive was used with roofing nails to hold the sheathing in place. I did some testing by gluing the sheathing to some wood and it held together great. Boat shrink wrap was stretched over the back wall and roofing nails were used to fasten it down. I have the roof to sheet and then I can finish wraping the whole shanty.
I'am hoping to get some sunny days to shrink the plastic to get the wrinkles out. I did some testing and if you add heat (torch) to the seams the plastic melts together and won't tear apart.

Offline chuckrudy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Oct 12, 2013, 06:41 PM »
Looks great. :tipup: :icefish:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.