Author Topic: Camper to Drop Down Ice Shack Conversion  (Read 85921 times)

Offline dbuchmann

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Wishin' I was fishin'!
Camper to Drop Down Ice Shack Conversion
« on: Jun 15, 2013, 09:56 PM »
I picked up a 7x14 camper for $200.  It had a smashed in roof so I completely gutted it to the frame and started over.  I figured out how to make the wheels drop down on the winch system and pulled it 70 miles home and didn't have any issues with it, but it was just a bare frame. Hoping it will hold up with the shack on top of it.  Wishing I would have added more crossmembers under the floor, there are a few saggy spots but I will figure something out.  Still a lot to do but slowly making progress.  Can anyone help me with posting pictures? I tried the insert image but it just puts this .  Once I figure out how to post pics I'll load a bunch of the progress I've made so far.

Offline da man cave shack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Drillin for a thrillin.
Re: Camper to Drop Down Ice Shack Conversion
« Reply #1 on: Jun 15, 2013, 10:03 PM »
Sounds cool. As far as posting pictures Start a photobucket account and upload the pictures to there and then insert the image code from photobucket to here. Can't wait to see the pics.

Offline dbuchmann

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Wishin' I was fishin'!
« Reply #2 on: Jun 15, 2013, 10:12 PM »

Offline dbuchmann

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Wishin' I was fishin'!
« Reply #3 on: Jun 15, 2013, 10:20 PM »

Demolition began

I was hoping to finish the walls yesterday but ran out of 2x4s so I'll finish that this week and get the roof framed up too. I was thinking about taking 2x6's and cutting an angle on them for a slope on the roof instead of trying to make trusses. Any suggestions? Or should I just go with a flat roof?

Offline osiris

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jun 19, 2013, 10:25 PM »
I prefer a sloped roof myself helps gaurentee to shed water and snow

Offline chuckrudy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jun 20, 2013, 08:58 AM »
Looking good. :tipup: :tipup: :icefish:

Offline combocamper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jun 20, 2013, 02:39 PM »
Looking nice.  Does the crank handle stick outside the box?  looks like it could be a knuckle buster cranking.

Offline dbuchmann

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Wishin' I was fishin'!
« Reply #7 on: Jun 21, 2013, 06:49 PM »
It doesn't stick outside the box but I did leave 4 inches on top and the sides just so I wouldn't be busting knuckles on it.  I got the windows in today just to see how everything fit but had a bear break one Monday night so now I have to get that fixed.  Have been looking for steel siding all over but not having much luck.  Got an estimate from Menards and it was $550, just can't afford that right now so looking into alternatives.  Thought about 3/8" Plywood but know that will be extremely heavy.  Any suggestions?

Offline osiris

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jun 22, 2013, 08:34 PM »
could use some 1/4" luan and paint it or hit it with polyurthane prob have to do it every year but should hold u over till u can get the tin or over up what youve done so far and save up for the rest of the materials, do u have any pics of what you had to do to complete the drop axle conversion

Offline dbuchmann

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Wishin' I was fishin'!
« Reply #9 on: Jun 22, 2013, 09:42 PM »
I do, I will upload them to photobucket tomorrow after I get them off my phone.  It's not a perfect wheel system but it does raise and lower its just getting the bolt holes to line up is the problem.  I pulled it home doing 70 down the freeway from where I work after doing the conversion and it held up just fine.  Hoping that it will hold up going the 30 miles to the lake I want to put it on with all the weight of the shack on it now.  I may try to do some minor changes to that part of it after I finish the construction of it.

I still need to crawl underneath and sure up the floor in a few places that sag when I step on it unless I put mending plates over the seams and just run carpet over the top of it.  I got the wiring done today minus the lights but I did three 12 volt outlets and three 110v outlets and ran the wire for each.  I might add a few more tomorrow around where the bunks are going to go.  Doesn't hurt to add them and not ever use them, all my electrical materials are leftovers from remodeling houses. I know its not a perfect shack but it is a good learning experience for me and now I'll know what to do next time.

Offline mricefish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jun 27, 2013, 10:34 PM »
Looks like a nice build there, I am looking forward to seeing some pics of the drop axle too. 

Offline dbuchmann

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Wishin' I was fishin'!
« Reply #11 on: Jun 28, 2013, 05:00 PM »
Got the insulation in and all the wiring done.  Can't do any interior work until I get the siding on and still haven't made a decision about that yet.  Here are a few pictures of what my wheel system is.
Before

After

Offline osiris

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jun 30, 2013, 12:41 AM »
Looks good for the most part but I would be concerned about the forces on the leaf spring and U bolts, I would stick the leaf spring in some square tubing and weld on the spindle that should hold everyting good and square and minimize the flex your getting now and be alot more road safe

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jul 11, 2013, 10:46 PM »
Any progress?

Offline Rwolff

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jul 12, 2013, 06:21 AM »
Looks good! As far as siding for it, if you have any company's in your area that build poll sheds try giving them a call. A lot of times they will keep stock of some or have some left over from jobs. Also I've seen people on Craig's list either selling some real cheap or giving it away. Just a thought.

Offline dbuchmann

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Wishin' I was fishin'!
« Reply #15 on: Jul 12, 2013, 07:59 AM »
Not much progress as of late. I ordered the siding from Menards and I just got it yesterday and will start putting it on today I hope.  Can't do any interior work until the outside is done so it doesn't get wet and get ruined.  I'll get pictures posted once I get some siding on.  I went with black siding and galvanized trim and roof.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jul 12, 2013, 04:18 PM »
A tip with the metal siding is if you can get a person to help you it makes it's whole lot less frustrating.

Offline dbuchmann

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Wishin' I was fishin'!
« Reply #17 on: Jul 14, 2013, 08:19 AM »
Made some progress with the siding yesterday, but I did mess up a few times, might need to order an extra sheet to make up for it.  Oh well, its a learning experience.  I've never done steel siding before so I figured I'd mess up at some point.  Going to try to get the siding and roof on this week, still waiting for some glass for one of the camper windows that a bear broke so I can't side finish siding until I get that back.  After siding and the roof gets on I'll start on the interior, going to use 1/4" luan for the walls and ceilings.

Offline Rwolff

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jul 14, 2013, 08:42 AM »
Looking good! Can't wait to see how it turns out

Offline dbuchmann

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Wishin' I was fishin'!
« Reply #19 on: Jul 21, 2013, 10:20 PM »
Well I basically finished the siding and roof today.  Just need to finish screwing it all down but ran out of screws.  I think it turned out pretty good for my first attempt and it and doing it myself.  Once I make sure it's water tight I'll start on the inside which shouldn't be too bad. I plan on doing the paneling first then finish wiring lights etc. then start building the bunks and carpet.  Any advice on carpet? I was just going to use marine carpet that I used on my boat.  Other things I should be aware of before starting anything? Tips or tricks?

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #20 on: Jul 22, 2013, 01:48 AM »
Looks good are you going to put any kind of coating in the wheel well/crank area I think snow will build up when traveling down the road. Also does not the wiring go in first with insulation covered with paneling maybe I'm misunderstanding your post.
Steve

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Jul 22, 2013, 07:38 AM »
When up panel it keep the paneling about an inch off of the floor to help keep it from wanting to absorb water. And it looks great. The black should help solar heat it. Keep up the good work. ;D

Offline dbuchmann

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Wishin' I was fishin'!
« Reply #22 on: Jul 22, 2013, 08:06 AM »
Yeah I'm going to put bedliner on the wheel area and wrap some of it with aluminum flashing to keep moisture outof there. The plan is to angle some flashing from directly behind the wheel to below the winch to allow for drainage, just haven't gotten there yet.  All the wiring and insulating are already done. I was planning on holding the luan up an inch and running some of that stick on rubber base molding around the whole thing to finish it off, unless you have some other suggestions on how to finish it.  Hope to be working on the inside by next week.

Offline Lavman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Passing along the traditions
« Reply #23 on: Jul 22, 2013, 09:30 AM »
Coming along really nicely. I like the color scheme :tipup:

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #24 on: Jul 22, 2013, 10:07 AM »
Looks good for the most part but I would be concerned about the forces on the leaf spring and U bolts, I would stick the leaf spring in some square tubing and weld on the spindle that should hold everyting good and square and minimize the flex your getting now and be alot more road safe

Absolutely. Don't mean to pick, but...basically what is supporting your axle are 2 leaf spring bolts. Combined with the flex in the leaves, up and down movement, and cold steel, I wouldn't trust that set-up for a minute. It's an accident waiting to happen. Get yourself a regular axle spindle and tubing and weld it across the frame.  Use grade #8 stainless bolts at the leaf posts. You'll also have a stronger frame and less torsional flex, too.
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline dbuchmann

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Wishin' I was fishin'!
« Reply #25 on: Jul 22, 2013, 06:24 PM »
I've been looking into the wheel system trying to figure out how to make it work with my frame and already having the shack built on top.  I only have 33" from the base of the winch to the front of the wheel well so it might take a little engineering.  If I got some 2x4x1/4" tubing and put a 1" bolt as the pivot point in front how could I make it lock down by the winch? I have seen the ones with the leaf springs inside the tube but I think that would be too long for my area.  I found these spindles at Northern Tool and was wondering if I could just weld these into that tubing?  http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200365118_200365118

Tips or suggestions without having to redo everything?

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #26 on: Jul 22, 2013, 06:32 PM »
Depends on your tubing and what you want to use...I'd take pics with a digital camera and measurements, then take them to a welding shop. You can run through the pics and measurements, and get some suggestions from the shop. My buddy owns a welding shop, and he does this stuff all the time, makes lots of custom trailers and apps for people out of aluminum, steel, whatever you want to use. Best to know what your gross loaded weight will be for a minimum guideline. Let us know how it goes and good luck, you've got time yet before ice!  ;D
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline dbuchmann

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Wishin' I was fishin'!
« Reply #27 on: Jul 27, 2013, 09:02 PM »
Went and picked up most of the interior stuff today and started working on that tonight.  Got the ceiling put up and three wall pieces.  Will probably finish that tomorrow or Monday and then put down the marine carpet I got. Then onto trim and building all the bunks and finishing stuff.  I'm still deciding if I want to get a wall mount heater or just use my big buddy and be able to move it around.  Here are a couple pictures of the interior from today.

Offline dbuchmann

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Wishin' I was fishin'!
« Reply #28 on: Jul 28, 2013, 06:40 PM »
Got all the paneling up and the carpet installed today.  The dinette cushions are going to get reupholstered with black fabric.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #29 on: Jul 28, 2013, 06:50 PM »
It looks good and you're making lots of progress fast.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.