Author Topic: Diving into new territory, my first Hard Side build. A work in progress.  (Read 46313 times)

Offline Quantumn

• Team IceShanty Regular
So my new plan of attack is to attempt this in my basement where the temperature is a little warmer, 72 degrees to be exact. Also brought out my steamer to help in getting flexibility in the wood. Fingers crossed.

The end stock of wood will be used as a clamping device to help keep the shape and allow it to cool down.

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Nice build and pics quantumn.

I built a shack years back and a set of skis for it. 

I originally thought that by having wider skis it would be easier to pull in deep snow.
Well....not really.  The shack was heavy enough to compress the snow so that it would
sink--I was still able to pull it with my snow sled, and the UHMW plastic helped, but the
shack would plow...snow would build up in front and make it harder and harder to pull
as the snow built up.  I built the skis out of 1/8" steel and they frame was 12" tall.
My shack floor was 2x4's on end so I was close to 15" off the ice when jigging!

It is always a trade off.  You want the shack to be above the snow when pulling, but
you want it to be near the ice when fishing (keep out the draft, make drilling the hole,
keeping it clear etc easier.)

I have thought about just using the skis to position a shack, and then remove the skis,
but that is a lot of work.

Offline DLB

• Team IceShanty Regular
Love the steamer.  I used the exact same model to bend two strips of 3/8 plywood into skis for my Rover 1 I had at the time.  Only problem I had was not fiberglassing them.  Didn't last much beyond the 1st upheaval on Saginaw Bay. :o 
Guess I shoulda slowed the quad down a tad.  I wish we could put a shack out on Lake St. Clair without some yahoo turning into his personal toilet or burning it down.
You can observe alot by watching.
Yogi Berra

Offline Quantumn

• Team IceShanty Regular
Thanks for the input Mainedog and DLB, noted and hopefully I will be ok. Not planning on moving this very often, maybe a few times at best.
A few more pictures of the results. Notice the glue oozing out, go big or stay at home, haha

A little splitting of the plywood but no big deal, that will be sanded and resined in the next few days.

And then Finlay, the wood blocks attached to help hold it in place while the glue cures. :)

Offline Chris Raymond

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lifelong Outdoorsman
I'm not trying to be a downer or repetitive but I hope you have lots of help when you haul this beast out on the lake.  I think that's going to be one heavy shack when it's all said and done. 
Chris Raymond

Offline Quantumn

• Team IceShanty Regular
Noted and fully understandable Chris, one thing I never wanted was a shack that weighed more than my truck. I believe once it is all said and done, the weight will be less than what most people expect. The base and skids will be at least half of the total weight, I was looking for as solid as a base as I could get without overkill. No way to actually weigh the base but I am able to easily pick it up and pivot it around my garage.
I believe things will show a different light once the walls are erected and luan applied. But thank you for your concern, its always great to have outside perspectives to keep things in check. Fish on!!!!

Offline Joedirt34

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Life on the ice
I know weights always an issue but I've seen larger shacks . As long as you have the ice and the man power all can be worked out ! When I built mine the best piece of advice I got was get a farm jack ! Has made life with mine easy !
  I worry more about what goes in after gear and fishermen add up fast !
It looks great so far ! Keep the pictures coming !
  The funny thing about shacks there never as light as we plan !
---- Joe ----

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Are you going to fill the kerfs with epoxy?
Or add some more support behind the bends of the ski ends?
Just wondering.

I thought the way you used the cut off piece as a clamp was very clever!

MD

Offline da man cave shack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Drillin for a thrillin.
The funny thing about shacks there never as light as we plan !
That is so true. Calculate the weight you think it will be then add acouple hundred extra pounds, there will always be stuff you want to add. Have fun with it. It looks great so far. :)

Offline Quantumn

• Team IceShanty Regular
It seems as I am spending alot of time on the skids, but then again my main goal is to keep it light but still fully stout in construction. Plans are to taper off both ends to reduce the stress factor on the corner tips but also reinforce the plywood with 1/4" plastic runners on the bottom half. The kerfs will be filled in with a mixture of tightbond III and sawdust/polyurethane shavings. Then to protect and strengthen the wood structure I plan on utilizing some fiberglass resin and fleece. Ultra lightweight and great stress protection. And I am humbled by your comment Mainedog about being clever with my clamps, clever was never my forte', rofl. :)

Offline Quantumn

• Team IceShanty Regular
Currently the skids are in the basement curing, the garage is getting a little chilly for allowing things to dry up solid. :)

Offline Quantumn

• Team IceShanty Regular
Ok, we have the day off and its time to start constructing walls and the roof. I have been contemplating a ceiling and with much deliberation, I have decided to keep it simple to help reduce some weight. Going with a single slanted roof at 15 degree pitch seems like my best option. Any ideas?

Offline michianafisherman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pleasant Times At Pleasant Lake
You can make spars like the ones in a wooden airplane wing if you want the thing to weight less. Little more work, but less weight.
HELD HOSTAGE BY PHOTOBUCKET

Offline Quantumn

• Team IceShanty Regular
You can make spars like the ones in a wooden airplane wing if you want the thing to weight less. Little more work, but less weight.
Good call michianafisherman, and for the past couple hours I have contemplated that idea. Upon further deliberations, I have decided to go with a 4/12 rise and simple framing. Now to recalculate the walls to facilitate this angle. Thanks bro  ;)2

• Team IceShanty Maniac
What are spars from how you guys are talking about them they sound cool but I have no idea what they are.

Offline michianafisherman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pleasant Times At Pleasant Lake
Here is one I made for my folding shanty. The idea is to make something as strong or stronger than a single piece of wood without the weight.

HELD HOSTAGE BY PHOTOBUCKET

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Did ya get the walls built yet? I am just excited to see the pics.  ;D

Offline Quantumn

• Team IceShanty Regular
I have one wall framed and proceeding on framing the other 3. I had to make an emergency run to Menard's for most of the final items needed. Hoping to be finishing up on the roof this weekend, work permitting of course. If not, most likely tues and wed will be major construction days. I have a few pictures already and will get those posted hopefully tonite. :)

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I have one wall framed and proceeding on framing the other 3. I had to make an emergency run to Menard's for most of the final items needed. Hoping to be finishing up on the roof this weekend, work permitting of course. If not, most likely tues and wed will be major construction days. I have a few pictures already and will get those posted hopefully tonite. :)
YESSSS, I cant wait to see them. ;D

Offline ice.ice.baby

• Team IceShanty Regular
I'm looking forword to pics also. :)

Offline Quantumn

• Team IceShanty Regular
Ok, I have just a couple pictures to add at the moment.

Picture of my lady holding up my first real attempt at framing something, this will be the back wall with a single window. All the wood is 2 x 1.5 except for the 1" furring strip used to provide cross brace action. My lady rocks!!!!!

Image of how we cut grooves to lay the furring strips to help cut down on weight and also provide support.

Building side walls now, got a little suprise today at goodwill that will be incorporated into the wall for a window, hope you all like it, lol.

Offline ice.ice.baby

• Team IceShanty Regular
Did you glue those wall studs? Would that make them strong, or just a pain in the a$$. Vanna White is doing a great job for ya too.

Offline Quantumn

• Team IceShanty Regular
Actually not much glue on the wall studs, the tack strips, 3" screws and notches help to firm it up quite nicely. A few critical junctions are dabbed with glue, but for the most part, its rock solid without. :) And lol at the Vanna comment, my lady got a real kick out of that, you made her day.

Offline Quantumn

• Team IceShanty Regular
So I managed to make some progress late last night with my side wall. My intentions here is to have a bump out for purpose of containing my kerosene heater. This way it will be out of the way and not on the floor.

Walls temporarily clamped into place.

One of Vanna posing once again, she is really getting excited over this.

We are hoping to get the last two walls up tonite, but will not be able to start til after late hence I have to work an 8 hour shift today.

Offline DLB

• Team IceShanty Regular
Looks like your garage door clearance is gonna be close!  I like your build and wish we could put a hard side out on Lk St. Clair where I do most of my fishing but there appears to be a group of people who enjoy burning them down out there.
You can observe alot by watching.
Yogi Berra

Offline mark4493

• Team IceShanty Regular
nice, i like the idea for the heater

Offline pipeboy98

• Team IceShanty Addict
Nice...with the cig and a beer...she looks like she's ready to fish!   It's always more fun when the wife is encouraging!....good job

Offline bpiatt

• Team IceShanty Addict
Looking awesome man! I love watching these threads and seeing someones plans come to fruition. You may have already considered this, but if you line the interior of the bulge for the heater with reflectix it will radiate heat out towards the shanty. Also, consider adding a fan where the bulge meets the ceiling to direct heat out. Thanks for taking the time to post these pictures for us!

Offline Quantumn

• Team IceShanty Regular
Looks like your garage door clearance is gonna be close!  I like your build and wish we could put a hard side out on Lk St. Clair where I do most of my fishing but there appears to be a group of people who enjoy burning them down out there.
Lol, I was concerned about that as well before building this shack, but close measurements showed that I have about 5 inches to spare, tested it just yesterday and the door just skims over the top. Pretty soon I will be taking it outside for final assembly.
Nice...with the cig and a beer...she looks like she's ready to fish!   It's always more fun when the wife is encouraging!....good job

She is having a blast helping and giving ideas I could never think of, she is my partner in crime for sure pipeboy98

Offline Stump Puller

• Team IceShanty Regular
Great job Quantumn, I´m enjoying this step by step build of yours. I like your idea for the heater.
Be safe out there, and set the iron.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.