Author Topic: Nanook Center Console Mod  (Read 46088 times)

Offline Benjammin

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Nanook Center Console Mod
« Reply #120 on: Dec 29, 2012, 05:33 AM »
When the Cardboard mockup is done would it be easier to cut the holes in the cardboard and then just fiberglass around them, or fiberglass over where the cup holders would go then use a hole saw to cut out a precise fitting cut? Would the fiberglass crack/cut uneven if you attempted to use a hole saw or would that be the better route? I have my mockup done, but am drawing all over it trying to figure out the most efficient layout and space usage

Offline IceCrafty

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #121 on: Dec 29, 2012, 07:48 AM »
very nice. I could use one for my sled. Hope I can start it soon.

Offline Krohboy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #122 on: Dec 29, 2012, 04:25 PM »
I just piced up a Nanook on Wednesday, and I am going to dive into this project. I have a rough version mocked up already, but I need to do some trimming yet. Luckily I have some fiberglass experience. I'll post pictures when I make progress.

Offline Krohboy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #123 on: Dec 29, 2012, 10:45 PM »
Re-loacted the seats tonight and I'm taking it out on the ice tomorrow to test the placement.

Offline Quantumn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #124 on: Dec 29, 2012, 10:58 PM »
Re-loacted the seats tonight and I'm taking it out on the ice tomorrow to test the placement.
Oh yeah, good luck Krohboy, hope it works out and you have tight lines

Offline fastribs85

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #125 on: Jan 01, 2013, 05:21 PM »
guys thats for the ideas hopefully ill have mine done soon and will be able to post a few pictures of my own console mods

Offline fastribs85

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #126 on: Jan 03, 2013, 05:22 PM »
btw guys just wondering did you guys apply 2 layers of fiberglass or just one????? debating if i want to do a second layer or not

Offline Benjammin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #127 on: Jan 03, 2013, 07:47 PM »
I have not made it to the Fiberglass stage, still waiting for everything to arrive in the mail. How rigid was your cardboard mockup before you applied fiberglass?I want to make sure and put enough supports inside to make sure its very durable when finished. I have been debating on re-making the entire thing from fresh cardboard and "perfect" cuts so i end up with pieces that are exactly alike and of the best quality i can make. Or does the fiberglass take care of this? i just want everything to be square, level, and perfectly aligned in the end.

Offline $ignmoney

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • My wife and I had words, I did't get to use mine
« Reply #128 on: Jan 03, 2013, 08:09 PM »
I have not made it to the Fiberglass stage, still waiting for everything to arrive in the mail. How rigid was your cardboard mockup before you applied fiberglass?I want to make sure and put enough supports inside to make sure its very durable when finished. I have been debating on re-making the entire thing from fresh cardboard and "perfect" cuts so i end up with pieces that are exactly alike and of the best quality i can make. Or does the fiberglass take care of this? i just want everything to be square, level, and perfectly aligned in the end.

Fiberglass will only make your cardboard hard, it wont fix a bad cut or crooked console. You now have a "rough" mock up  - Now copy it but with better cuts and make sure its straight!  Good luck

Offline fastribs85

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #129 on: Jan 03, 2013, 09:36 PM »

Fiberglass will only make your cardboard hard, it wont fix a bad cut or crooked console. You now have a "rough" mock up  - Now copy it but with better cuts and make sure its straight!  Good luck

exactly the fiberglass is just there for the strength mine was relativly tight at the joints and any gaps the were small were covered with tape before i started to do the glass work about 1/3 is done and can already tell it has strentghend it up a lot with just one layer hopefully ill have pictures up soon.

Ben if you can set it up on the ground and it isnt collapsing or leaning and the gaps are tight you will be fine and i highly recommend the fiberglas cloth (weaved like carbon fiber) over the mat much easier to work with. and a painters mask not the cheap dust ones they wont filter out the fumes and youll get a slight hi from them. i know this from painting cars and used to help a guy make fiberglass hoods and car parts

Offline Benjammin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #130 on: Jan 03, 2013, 10:55 PM »
My Mockup is straight on all sides for the most part, and is full capable of standing up on its own. I have been picking it up and turning it without the console flexing or wobbling when being moved. I can hang onto it from one end with one hand and it will stay stiff. The only downfall is that on the back corner where the minnow bucket goes, it is SLIGHTLY angled, which does not make the console any less functional but I can see it every time i look at it. just put the cardboard demo into my Clam Nanook to see the 3-D version of weeks of thinking and planning and see how the fit works. I Love It and am excited to finally start fiberglassing! How should I setup the supports on the inside of the Box though, I have yet to put a bottom on it because I want to add cardboard supports to the inside so when I fiberglass the inside of it the entire structure should be strong enough to sit/step on if needed. Also Should I cut the holes out for cupholders & toggle panel before I fiberglass or Afterwards? The only thing I can think of is that the fiberglass might crack/chip or cut very rough/crooked being its so thin so I could see why doing it beforehand would be easier.

Offline fastribs85

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #131 on: Jan 04, 2013, 11:28 AM »
yes cut the openings in the cardboard first then you can lay the glass overtop and before its completly hard you can trim with a razor blade and the supports just tape them vertically to the inside but id only do it if you think its neccisary because it makes the fiberglass work a little harder in my experiance

Offline ericzerka24

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #132 on: Jan 10, 2013, 09:48 PM »
When you moved the chairs farther apart, did you re-mount them back to the sled so they can still flip up or just let them stand alone. I have been debating If I want to keep mine mounted or not for the freedom to be move them whenever I want, or keep them mounted to the sled so they remain stable and wont get "tippy". I am going to start the mock up cardboard tonight with a case and see how far I get. And also throw around ideas for where I want to mount all of my electronics.  Glad to see your response was fairly quick after my post, I appreciate all the help in this I can get so thanks!

I re-mounted them farther apart.  I don't know why clam mounts them so close together.  Kinda stupid when you have the extra room.

Offline Duck Days

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #133 on: Mar 26, 2013, 07:38 PM »
how much resin and what type of resin did you use to complete this?
Fishin' Ain't Easy!!!

Offline fastribs85

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #134 on: Apr 21, 2013, 05:06 PM »
i used the 3M fiberglass resin its a 2 part product and the amount you use will depend on the size of you console and the amount of layers you apply best help i can ive you on how much youll need

Offline FinnHunt3r

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #135 on: Jun 16, 2013, 08:14 PM »
So sweet. Diggen mine out for some summer projects.

Offline bmahler

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #136 on: Jul 31, 2017, 09:17 AM »
I know it's been forever, but any chance you still have the pics for this thread somewhere?  I'm thinking of starting this project.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.