Author Topic: Industrial grade shack  (Read 22065 times)

Offline Big - D OBG

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Industrial grade shack
« Reply #60 on: Nov 28, 2011, 07:44 AM »
WOW, I would never leave the ice if I had that. Great job on the build

Offline propaganda

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #61 on: Nov 28, 2011, 06:24 PM »
Snopro I will post more pics of the benches when they get installed.

Burr to do it properly everything would have to be pre-cut and fitted.

Thanks for all the positive comments everyone.

Offline fishnwire

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #62 on: Nov 28, 2011, 07:50 PM »
Looking at your hut makes jealous...plain and simple.  It's possible you have the best hut in the world...I've never seen one better, that's for sure.  Factor in how mobile it is and you're in a class by yourself.  I don't know how much it cost you, but I'm sure there are fishermen with money that would line up to pay between 10 and 15 thousand to have one of their very own.

I have to stop looking at it...or I may lose interest in finishing mine.   

Offline Burr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #63 on: Nov 28, 2011, 08:40 PM »
Propaganda
Thanks for getting back to me. I have worked with sip panels on my house,shop and my outdoor threater. They can be made to work when things are not perfect. So if you wanted to do me some frames would be great if you dont i understand. Just trying to keep freight cost down. I have talked to two panel companys that i have worked with  and the said no problem with them doing a one or two inch thick panels any size up to 8x24 just like there house panels. We would not use plywood to keep weight down. We are going to start renting sleds in wy and would love to get some fishing shacks  to rent to people also. Started to look for a small groomer or a larger work type sled to pull them on to lake. What you built is what we would like to have as a rental . We want something that will last and yours meets that type.
Thank again.

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #64 on: Nov 29, 2011, 12:41 PM »
I officially hate you. Bar none the finest shanty I have ever seen. Will you adopt me? I'm 40 but I can still call you dad if you like.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline snowman6902

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #65 on: Nov 29, 2011, 01:37 PM »
I officially hate you. Bar none the finest shanty I have ever seen. Will you adopt me? I'm 40 but I can still call you dad if you like.

Bahahaha!!!

Offline newfound

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #66 on: Dec 02, 2011, 06:09 PM »
:thumbsup:

Offline Goatskin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #67 on: Dec 03, 2011, 01:59 AM »
One heck of a shanty! Looks like you know how to get ahold of the finner things in the shanty life too! Good luck this season. Hope all goes well!
P.S. You could ship it my way so I can make sure she's safe to use. ;D

Offline rlvb

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The fishie says "Why you looking at me like that?"
« Reply #68 on: Dec 03, 2011, 07:28 AM »
sweeeeeeeeet shack
born to fish---forced to work

Offline Sixxer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #69 on: Dec 03, 2011, 09:24 AM »
Awesome shack. If you've never used a wood oven before, my recommendation is to run it at least once "outside" to let all of the chemicals finish drying. I have heard of many people heading out to a camp site with them never been heated before and the fumes can be unreal if all contained in a little space. Anyways, thanks for sharing some amazing craftsmanship.
"Of course our rods are short, it's freezing out here!"

Offline tippytoes

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #70 on: Dec 04, 2011, 05:00 PM »
absolutely amazing!!  Job well done!

Offline propaganda

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #71 on: Dec 07, 2011, 09:21 AM »
Well put the benches in and installed the corner jacks, they are just hand crank jacks but should be plenty good enough to get the skis up. I am still waiting for the custom bench cushions. Also cut the floors in and installed the catch covers, it's a 4 hole unit and will be very comfortable for 4 guys. Bought a dual 6 volt leak proof battery container and batteries should be here today so will start wiring the charger and inverter system, lights, stereo and tv. Also looking at installing a winch on the back end to self load it up the car hauler ramps.

surflizard

« Reply #72 on: Dec 07, 2011, 09:24 AM »
It does not get any better then that right there Prop, Outstanding Job !!

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #73 on: Dec 07, 2011, 09:26 AM »
Will you take 5 easy payments of $29.95?  :whistle:..................... ;D

Nice... :thumbsup:
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline Big - D OBG

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #74 on: Dec 07, 2011, 11:38 AM »
Gets better every time

Offline Gillfisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #75 on: Dec 07, 2011, 05:10 PM »
Prop - your not going to let anyone fish in that are you?  ???

Here is an Astronomy lesson - The world revolves around the sun, not you!

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #76 on: Dec 08, 2011, 10:38 AM »
I'm jelious of the benches alone! They are nicer than the furnature in my house!
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline Goatskin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #77 on: Dec 08, 2011, 01:44 PM »
Hey prop, are you going to use each jack 1 at a time to pop the shack up come late season, or are you going to get 3 friends. I could be wrong but using each jack 1 at a time could put strain on the shacks structure and walls. Just a thought. ???

Offline propaganda

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #78 on: Dec 08, 2011, 10:33 PM »
I hear what you are saying Goat. That actual design is based on the same building I use for prime movers. A prime mover is a 5.9 cummins or 350 chev on natural gas driving a hydraulic pump. Its a very solid and engineered design. Now, that being said, those buildings use a heavy HSS skid, not aluminum. So we did some testing in the shop. We elevated a corner at a time and then looked at the deflection, its well within tolerance. The design is sound. The purpose of the jacks is not to jack up the shack and use it while its resting on the jacks, the jacks are merely for getting the skis up and blocking up the shack so it doesn't freeze in. Damaging the skis would, for lack of a better term, suck immensely. The best way to do it is with 2 guys and jack up an end at a time then block the skis. The jacks can still be left in contact with the ice on top of bloacks to add to the stability, but for the most part its unnecessary.  I am not a "thin" guy and I can dance in there and it's stable and solid.

Offline TrackerG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #79 on: Dec 09, 2011, 05:26 PM »
with the power you have, you could install four electric jacks like on a cabover camper. they would run off a 12 volt battery.
Remember...just cuz you arent paranoid...doesn't mean they're not out to get ya!!

Offline propaganda

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #80 on: Dec 10, 2011, 07:07 PM »
I had considered electric jacks Tracker. For the amount they would be used it's not really worth the extra money although it would certainly be more convenient. It's relatively quick to crank the jacks down and get it blocked up.

surflizard

« Reply #81 on: Dec 15, 2011, 06:18 PM »
Hey Prop
 I don't know if anyone asked already or not, what are you moving the Unit on the ice with, Truck, sled, wheeler ?

Offline fishnwire

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #82 on: Dec 15, 2011, 09:08 PM »
If anyone has ever seen a nicer "shack"...I'd love to see pics or at least get a description, but I doubt I will.  This may very well take the cake as nicest non-commercial ice fishing abode in the history of the sport.  I guess it can't really be called "home-made"...the resources of an industrial fabrication facility having been (apparently fully) utilized...but it is a "one-off" and made by the end user, that's close enough.  Impressive does not begin to describe it.  There are no words that do.

I'm really happy with the progress of my own 8x12 and have spared little expense and cut fewer corners.  I set out to have a shack that is a fair bit "nicer" than the average, and (if I don't mind sayin') I'll certainly accomplish that.  That being said, when I look at your "spaceship" (you should call it that) I almost feel like putting a match to mine.  It reminds me of a story I heard about when Eric Clapton first saw and heard Jimi Page play.  He later admitted he went home and considered never picking up his his guitar again, because he knew he'd never be nearly as good.  He thought he was something special...and then he encountered something truly special.

I'm confident I'll be more than satisfied and have many great times in my hut.  But it's conceivable I'll be sitting in it one day and wonder how much nicer it would be to be in yours.  It's unlikely you'll have "greener grass" to ponder over.

I'd like to nominate you as "Ice Hut King"...if anyone can suggest a reason why you shouldn't hold the title (pics or it didn't happen) I can't wait to see the challenger.

Offline propaganda

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #83 on: Dec 16, 2011, 09:29 AM »
Hey Prop
 I don't know if anyone asked already or not, what are you moving the Unit on the ice with, Truck, sled, wheeler ?

Well Lizard I really need to do some testing with it. I think it's light enough that a good snowmobile or side by side can pull it depending on how deep the snow is here. Thus far we don't have a lot of snow this year.

...the resources of an industrial fabrication facility having been (apparently fully) utilized

I'm confident I'll be more than satisfied and have many great times in my hut.

Fishnwire, you hit the nail on the head. It really doesn't matter if you are sitting on a bucket, or in a plywood hut, or in the best shack ever, as long as you are having fun, catching fish and are in good company. The fact is that I have resources available that most guys do not, if I didn't I wouldn't be able to do this sort of thing. I have spent many a day sitting on a bucket in -20 C or sitting in a flimsy home made shack, and I have nothing but great memories of fishing with my dad and my good friends.

Offline vtshantyman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • grab your rod and get jiggy with it
« Reply #84 on: Dec 16, 2011, 11:30 AM »
ok that is just perfect

Offline emtorn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #85 on: Dec 16, 2011, 01:17 PM »
WOW..........that thing is awsome. Great work man!!!

Offline jeard

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #86 on: Dec 21, 2011, 07:59 PM »
what size is it and what does it weigh thanks Jeard

Offline propaganda

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #87 on: Dec 22, 2011, 10:32 PM »
what size is it and what does it weigh thanks Jeard

8 x 12 with 8 foot walls. 4:12 pitch roof. I am thinking around 1200-1300 lbs but still need to weigh it.

Offline philg

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #88 on: Dec 27, 2011, 03:00 PM »
That is an awesome shanty

Offline snowdew

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #89 on: Dec 27, 2011, 06:56 PM »
i am not robbing this tread but i think my shanty is equally well built. if you ever come out to alberta i would love to show my shack of to another skillful craftsman like myself
If anyone has ever seen a nicer "shack"...I'd love to see pics or at least get a description, but I doubt I will.  This may very well take the cake as nicest non-commercial ice fishing abode in the history of the sport.  I guess it can't really be called "home-made"...the resources of an industrial fabrication facility having been (apparently fully) utilized...but it is a "one-off" and made by the end user, that's close enough.  Impressive does not begin to describe it.  There are no words that do.

I'm really happy with the progress of my own 8x12 and have spared little expense and cut fewer corners.  I set out to have a shack that is a fair bit "nicer" than the average, and (if I don't mind sayin') I'll certainly accomplish that.  That being said, when I look at your "spaceship" (you should call it that) I almost feel like putting a match to mine.  It reminds me of a story I heard about when Eric Clapton first saw and heard Jimi Page play.  He later admitted he went home and considered never picking up his his guitar again, because he knew he'd never be nearly as good.  He thought he was something special...and then he encountered something truly special.

I'm confident I'll be more than satisfied and have many great times in my hut.  But it's conceivable I'll be sitting in it one day and wonder how much nicer it would be to be in yours.  It's unlikely you'll have "greener grass" to ponder over.

I'd like to nominate you as "Ice Hut King"...if anyone can suggest a reason why you shouldn't hold the title (pics or it didn't happen) I can't wait to see the challenger.

i wanna shot at the tittle. i am just finishing my shack in the next week or so.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.