The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: VT trip advice mid-FEB, looking for lakers but gotta keep the lady happy too  (Read 1497 times)

Offline flyfish413

• Team IceShanty Addict
Hey all,

Looking for monster laker GPS coordinates within walking distance of a coffee shop.

Just kidding. Mostly. Taking a ride up from Western MA February 19 -21 looking to stay somewhere in the Burlington/ St. Albans/ Grand Isle area. I'll have all morning and early afternoon on the ice to myself, but need to entertain the girlfriend later in the day. Any thoughts regarding towns with a good scene - couple decent bars or restaurants, brewery/ distillery, etc - that would be a short drive to access for laker waters would be greatly appreciated!

PM fine, happy to trade for MA, CT, or Eastern NY info/ hotspots!

Offline Theshad

• Team IceShanty Regular
14th star brewery in saint Albans has awesome beer. I took a job doing security for them for events exactly for that reason :) also, the bay has decent ice (still check) and a good perch bite right now.

Offline pmaloney86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Too many breweries to name but that is always a fun time up that way.  Foam Brewery is one of my favs and is right on Champlain.  However, it takes a deep freeze to get the water in that area to freeze up.
westernmas on the finder

Offline bootstrap

• Team IceShanty Maniac
the addison to shelburne area may be a good choice too.

Offline Bob Giknis

• IceShanty Rookie
Moved to Charlotte VT from W. Mass in 1975.  Age has slowed my ice fishing activities somewhat but I still get out.  I have a B&B about 4 miles from the lake (Thompsoon Point/ Converse Bay.  Bait and breweries nearby, 10 miles to University of Vermont Campus,  Lots to do to keep a lady happy, great restaurants and fishing id usually good.  No safe ice at present but that is changing quickly

Offline flyfish413

• Team IceShanty Addict
Wow thanks a ton for the info guys, sounds like we won't have an issue finding things to do. It looks like just about anywhere south of Shelburne is a short walk to deeper water too. Is there a resource for access points and parking for that area? Hopefully there will be plenty of ice 4 weeks from now!

Offline troutcrazy

• Team IceShanty Addict
Don't take the ice for granted.  The broad lake doesn't freeze over every year like it used to.  Unless we get some serious cold weather, I doubt there will be ice over deep water on the broad lake this year.

Offline Brendog9

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ga head
Some other breweries up that way are Fiddlehead, Queen City, Four Quarters and Burlington Beer too. I'm heading up to Fiddlehead for a work trip later this week.
Marking anything?

Offline bootstrap

• Team IceShanty Maniac
 switchback and zero gravity would be on my list.

Offline shiveringjoe

• Team IceShanty Addict
Check out Wild Hart distillery, they are in the complex behind Fiddlehead. They make a few different styles of gin that are very good. According to their website they now only do tours/tastings by appointment, but if you know what time you'll be at Fiddlehead I would also go to the distillery.

Some other breweries up that way are Fiddlehead, Queen City, Four Quarters and Burlington Beer too. I'm heading up to Fiddlehead for a work trip later this week.

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6.
How do you keep those yuppy beers from getting
Cold when your on the ice?
Nothing like a warm flat beer that smells like a bowl movement!
Champlain
Memphremagog

Offline flyfish413

• Team IceShanty Addict
How do you keep those yuppy beers from getting
Cold when your on the ice?
Nothing like a warm flat beer that smells like a bowl movement!

Drink them faster! I'll take 3 quality local brews over a 12 pack of toilet water any day.

Offline flyfish413

• Team IceShanty Addict
Great info guys thanks again. Fingers crossed that Mother Nature will play nice, this looks like it will be a great time!

Offline flyfish413

• Team IceShanty Addict
Check out Wild Hart distillery, they are in the complex behind Fiddlehead. They make a few different styles of gin that are very good. According to their website they now only do tours/tastings by appointment, but if you know what time you'll be at Fiddlehead I would also go to the distillery.

Not a gin fan but looks like Wild Hart does a bourbon too so that would definitely be worth checking out!

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6.
Champlain
Memphremagog

Offline ship of fools

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Drink them faster! I'll take 3 quality local brews over a 12 pack of toilet water any day.

I'm with you ….  i'd rather have water than a Budweiser  ;D

I'd put Burlington and Foam on top of the must hit list
Goin' where the wind don't blow so strange,
Maybe off on some high cold mountain chain.

Offline fishkopp

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Life's Short Fish Hard
My wife and I always stay at the laquinta in  St.Albans  (free breakfast),  We typically go up presidents weekend . Lots of good places to eat and drink in st. Albans.    You have many good fishing choices from that location.
I think this hole's too small

Offline cbice

• Team IceShanty Regular
Yeah Fiddlehead has a good stone oven pizza place in the same building.   Microbrews dont freeze nearly as quickly as piss.  I mean pilsners.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.