The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Benson Derby this week-end!  (Read 2002 times)

Offline ICE_HOOK

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Fish now or never !!!!!!!
Benson Derby this week-end!
« on: Feb 17, 2015, 04:20 PM »
Temps look more favorable this weekend , will be a cold start! Below 0 Sat. morning than warming up with a little snow on Sunday! Better than last week for sure! Frosty derby temps for March 1st say 40 above" Bring out the lawn chairs! Yea.

Offline bigcat61

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Benson Derby this week-end!
« Reply #1 on: Feb 18, 2015, 04:23 AM »
 :o what is everyone going to target for the big one and where are you going.?
I will either be on champlain for whatever bites or st. Catherine .. good luck.  :tipup:

Offline ICE_HOOK

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Feb 18, 2015, 06:03 AM »
 ;DOn Bomo for the elusive big one! 1 flag - 1 fish! Ha

Offline dave bartlett

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 18, 2015, 07:14 AM »
      We will be on Champlain this weekend and i wish ALL Fishermen and Woman the best of Luck.Hope to see you all at the board on Sunday at 3:15     ::) :o ;D :tipup: :icefish: :clap: :bow: :thumbsup: :woot:

Offline Fish Hard

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 18, 2015, 07:46 AM »
still undecided which lake to fish :-\

Offline ICE_HOOK

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Feb 19, 2015, 05:56 AM »
Here comes the snow! Bring shovel! Extension for auger! Extra coat for -20 below! We will rember this year for sure! Happy fishing to all! One of us should win something!

Offline BassInVt

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ain't nothing better than fishing!!
« Reply #6 on: Feb 19, 2015, 07:15 PM »
I wish you all luck and that you all catch the exact same size and weight and species of fish, then you get to split the prize!!lol, have fun
What?? fish are biting, I'm gone

Offline ICE_HOOK

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Feb 20, 2015, 09:11 AM »
I wish you all luck and that you all catch the exact same size and weight and species of fish, then you get to split the prize!!lol, have fun
.  10,300 dollars in prizes!!!!! If I win , please don't tell the wife! Need more hard water goodies! Ha

Offline vthonkerhtr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 20, 2015, 10:15 AM »
Derby weekend, more like bring out the cheaters.
you can bet there are some tanked fish already   >:(

Offline shiveringjoe

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Feb 20, 2015, 04:12 PM »
they need to just have 1 huge tournament. goes from first ice till last.  all lakes all species. limit 5 fish per person to weigh in per species. (to cut back the cull) 300$ a person. the prize money would be HUGE and you really couldn't cheat like that either. 
I went from "man when do they have a derby going on?" to "jeesus 3 derbies a weekend now?"    they saturate the market with derbies and it thins the prize money down a lot.

Somebody would weight in a king salmon and one of those 4lb Norwegian perch...

Offline tracker one

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • if you ain't gonna eat em,throw em back
« Reply #10 on: Feb 20, 2015, 05:32 PM »
you have to remember that these derbies are all about making money for the sponsors of the tournament,i.e.volunteer fire departments,local rescue squads and the like.  It is not about prizes for the fishermen. So cough up your money for a good cause,you don't have to fish in them.

Offline Fish-On-VT

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The Duff Shack!
« Reply #11 on: Feb 20, 2015, 07:31 PM »
you have to remember that these derbies are all about making money for the sponsors of the tournament,i.e.volunteer fire departments,local rescue squads and the like.  It is not about prizes for the fishermen. So cough up your money for a good cause,you don't have to fish in them.
:clap: :clap:

Tip Up !!! :tipup:

Offline Green Mountain Boy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Feb 20, 2015, 08:22 PM »
Between the snow and the bite, slow going yesterday at Larabees and today at Laphams. 

To add insult to injury, after a laborious hand pull out to the channel, I opened the flip to find the minnow bucket upturned and bait swimming in the channels of the sled! 

Good luck to all participating in the Benson Derby - it's a hockey kinda weekend for me.

Offline ICE_HOOK

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Feb 21, 2015, 02:41 PM »
 ;D what a day today! Had to jump truck , battery weak! Got stuck on Bomo in snowdrift , friend pulled me out! Had to shovel parking spot! Auger wouldn't start , used friends ion! Wind and snow came and blew me across ice while sitting in popup! Pulled tip ups in 30 mile an hour gusts with blinding snow! Caught 2 perch! Home drying out and resting! Like a diehard ice fisherman I am getting ready for tomorrow! Hopefully everything will be different and I will come home smiling! Ha

Offline tracker one

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • if you ain't gonna eat em,throw em back
« Reply #14 on: Feb 21, 2015, 03:35 PM »
sorry to hear about your problems,If it makes you feel any better,we all have had those days!

Offline Green Mountain Boy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Feb 21, 2015, 05:05 PM »
I met up with the VT F&W Fisheries Biologist this afternoon about 2:45 at McCuins Slang. 

He said he had been out since the early hours traversing various waters via truck and snow machine from Bomo up to the Champlain Bridge doing Creel Surveys.

He was surprised to only meet up with about 80 hardwater anglers to that point in the day given Derby Weekend?

Offline dave bartlett

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Feb 23, 2015, 06:38 AM »
    Ice__Hook
 You should have came with me.No wind until 1 to 4 ,then it was 10 - 15 with a gust to 20 but didn't last a couple hrs only and we had 30 flags or so.Couple broke our lines and we caught a 5 to 6 lb smally we had to throw back.Champlain rules.I am posting pics now on FB.Feel free to copy and put them where you want.Also that was a bad day for ya and they suck.We have them all the time.CHIN UP.  ;D

Offline ICE_HOOK

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Feb 23, 2015, 09:48 AM »
Thanks Dave! Will check out pics! Nice day yesterday , flags were flying early till 11! Bunch of perch and smelt!

Offline slopoker

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FISH ON!!
« Reply #18 on: Feb 23, 2015, 12:25 PM »
dave, atta boy!!!!! we had an ok weekend just above you on plunder. 7,8.5,9.5,10 and 11.5 lb pike is what we got with 3 hammer handles thrown in. my buddies boy was in contention for perch, biggest was 1.6lbs by itself. next time im coming down with you :P
its easier to beg forgiveness than to ask permission... FISH ON!!!

Offline dave bartlett

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Feb 24, 2015, 08:10 AM »
    Love to have you.I was wondering about the perch just because 15 years ago i won the Bomo derby with a 1.67 lb perch and i never saw one entered close to that but i knew it was close.
    I did see about 30 or so people fishing up there.A big truck with a plow and sander in the back drove by us and went all the way up there plowing.I thought he was doomed by us when he hit a huge slush hole.He stopped in but got out.Sunday was real slow.8 flags all day.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.