The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Island Pond  (Read 1548 times)

Offline freaknasty7

• Team IceShanty Regular
Island Pond
« on: Jan 26, 2010, 04:43 PM »
just wondering what the conditions were on island pond. ice/snow etc. going up in a week or so rabbit hunting and plan to spend a day or two on the ice. hows the fishing been up there and what is being caught? i think its a trout lake? im not sure. could use as much info as possible!

thanks,
  freak

Offline jf5

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
Re: Island Pond
« Reply #1 on: Jan 26, 2010, 05:17 PM »
Do nto know about current condisitons. But I bet its slick by this weekend after the re-freeze.

IP has browns and rainbow trout. Some of the browns can be real nice. Also has smallies and perch. I know the state has been working to restore walleye in I-Pond, but I have no idea what level the fishery is at right now. but it does sweeten the pot some if you liked mixed bags.

Good luck.

Offline rawrightII

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Water Wolves
« Reply #2 on: Jan 26, 2010, 05:30 PM »
just up there over the weekend. there was alot of snow!!! not sure if they got the rain most of vermont did, im sure they did.

Offline johndeere540

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 26, 2010, 09:45 PM »
In the past couple years i have heard of a few nice 4 and 5 lbs walleye coming out of ip. They seem to be doing good I'd say.

Offline woodyvt

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • When the going is tough. The tough go ice fishing!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 27, 2010, 05:16 AM »
Used to live there and fish quite often....nice browns in there.  From the town fish the left side of the island.....about 60ft of water.  Always did well there.

Good luck.
The closest flag up may be the one that is behind you !

Offline freaknasty7

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 27, 2010, 07:38 AM »
thanks for the input. i do like mixed bags. it seems to break things up a little bit. i will have to give it a shot when i head up. where can you get bait?

Offline jf5

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #6 on: Jan 27, 2010, 09:39 AM »
thanks for the input. i do like mixed bags. it seems to break things up a little bit. i will have to give it a shot when i head up. where can you get bait?

Walt Driscoll's shop in I-Pond area sold bait in the past. I haven't been there in a while.

Also, Not sure if they still sell bait, but the store at the ramp of Lake Symour used to, and thats not too far from I Pond. there is always Newport if needed.

Offline freaknasty7

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 27, 2010, 09:54 AM »
oh yeah i forgot all about the bait shop at seymour. thanks for the help :tipup:

Offline walleyeicefisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I'd Rather be Ice Fishing
« Reply #8 on: Jan 27, 2010, 11:27 AM »
The store on seymour has opened back up and is selling bait.  Not really sure what they are selling though. 
Would like to hear if you get any walleye out of I-Pond.  I used to fish there alot for trout in the summer.  I used to do really well between the sunken island and the big island. 
I have been wanting to try I-Pond for those eyes since they have been stocking just don't get over there anymore. 

Offline freaknasty7

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 27, 2010, 12:39 PM »
its definately a long haul for me, around 2 1/2 hours or so. hoping it will be well worth the trip. maybe shoot some bunnys and get a couple fish in the mean time! where abouts is the sunken island in that lake?

Offline dave b.

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • waitin for winter
« Reply #10 on: Jan 27, 2010, 12:45 PM »
fish and wildlife has a depth chart on their website that you can check out. Good luck

Dave

Offline johndeere540

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 27, 2010, 01:16 PM »
Do you have your own dogs?

Offline rawrightII

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Water Wolves
« Reply #12 on: Jan 27, 2010, 03:26 PM »
the guy on the left justs before you get into town (has the fly shop, taxidermy, weigh station) has a sign up at the end of the driveway "live bait". i know he does it in the summer but it looked like hes selling it this winter. 

Offline jf5

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #13 on: Jan 27, 2010, 03:28 PM »

Offline rawrightII

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Water Wolves
« Reply #14 on: Jan 27, 2010, 09:17 PM »
114 from lyndonville. once you get to the stop sign take a right towards island pond. right there on the left

Offline freaknasty7

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 28, 2010, 06:43 AM »
ya i think i know where you are talking about.

johndeere, i dont have my own dogs, my uncle has a camp in newark and hes got 2 beagles that we run

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.