Author Topic: Who's done??  (Read 7777 times)

Offline JigAwhopper

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • addicted to ICE
Who's done??
« on: Mar 16, 2005, 07:01 AM »
Well,  I guess I'm done for the season.   Anyone else pack up their toys yet??  I need to fly out to AZ for a wedding so I'll miss probably the last w/e of safe ice  in NJ  :(.  And it will go up to the 50s next week. It was a great season, I've gone out 20 times this year,  but I think I'm ready to hit the open water once again  ;D.                J.

Offline Pike Popper

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Who's done??
« Reply #1 on: Mar 16, 2005, 07:17 AM »
I will probably call it quits for Jersey this weekend. Then I'll probably head to PA for one more weekend where theres still 16 inches or more of ice in spots. I made it out a staggering 34 times to 19 different lakes. I definitely never thought I would have made it out as much as I did. This was mainly because I'm still in High school and only work 25 hours a week. I probably willn't be able to make it out as much as I did in the years to come.

MikeThePike

« Reply #2 on: Mar 16, 2005, 07:29 AM »
I'll probably be out till there is no ice left. I think I made it out a bit more than PP but only because I pulled quite a few 20+ hour days between fishing and then going to work. At this point the only reason I'm looking forward to open water is I can actually get some sleep in between work and waking up to go fish.  ;D

Offline baginwal

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Mar 16, 2005, 07:31 AM »
My son and I took our final ice fishing trip for the season last Tues - Fri.  It was a great year.  

We got out for about 20 trips which included "the ultimate ice outing", The 2nd Annual NJ Chapter of IS Ice Derby! ;D  Seriously, it was nice to meet some of the NJ ice guys/gals at the event.

It seems I picked up quite abit of extra equipment this year.  We are in the process of finding a good place in the basement to store it (without infringing on my wife's craft area ??? ;))

Time to focus on Little Leage Baseball (Coach) and preparing the open water gear.

To all...........Have a great summer!

No Politics............Ju st Fish!

Offline RJP

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #4 on: Mar 16, 2005, 07:41 AM »

We're planning on getting out one more time this weekend, and then it's on to open water and surf fishing.

Offline ShawnM

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Captain of Team Mercer
« Reply #5 on: Mar 16, 2005, 07:53 AM »
I'll be going this Sat in NY & Sun maybe NY or NJ. Then next week Good Friday I'll be up in NY  . Then I'll have to see if NY is still safe. Mike & Frank do you guy's have off next Friday? If you want to go to NY & fish Highland Lake let me know.
PETA = People Eating Tasty Animals   ;D

Offline Pike Popper

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Mar 16, 2005, 11:13 AM »
I think Mike plans on going to Cabelas next friday. I'm undecided yet if Im going there or going fishing. Shawn I'll get in contact with you over the weekend probably and let you know.

Offline Icephishnphreek

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I come from the land of Lizards
« Reply #7 on: Mar 16, 2005, 12:11 PM »
I am done for the season.  :'( Thanks to everyone for their great tips this past year. Have a safe open water season and I will chat with you all when the water hardens again.  ;D

Offline Reb

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • PLEEAASSE FREEZE !!
« Reply #8 on: Mar 16, 2005, 01:37 PM »
Our ice down here was bad this year and I got tired of driving north.I put my ice stuff away 3 weeks ago and I've got the surf stuff loaded up and ready to go.

MikeThePike

« Reply #9 on: Mar 16, 2005, 02:20 PM »
Shawn, I'll be headed to Cabelas on Good Friday with my buddy from work. I needa pick up a new UL for trout seeing as the season is fast aproaching as well as some hooks, musky lures, and various other stuff for open water/ surf fishing in the spring.

If the ice is still safe (I doubt it) we'll fish Mountain Lake on the way home.

Offline Pike Popper

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Mar 16, 2005, 08:18 PM »
Hahaha I hope your talking about the Mtn. Lake in PA. Mtn. Lake in Jersey willn't have safe ice for your life next friday Mike. How you could even consider it possibly having a mere shot at any safe ice boggles my mind.  ??? MONDAY might be your last day there, if your lucky enough to get out there then even.

Offline ecsteelheader

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "LIFE IS SHORT,FISH HARD!!!!
« Reply #11 on: Mar 18, 2005, 08:51 AM »
I'M done even though we got about 12" of ice yet,,im ready for surfishing and catching biggy fishies :),next sunday will be my 1st "fishing trip" down there,,cant wait>))> good luck to all you guys ....EC
work is for people who dont fish!!!!!

Offline Tom_K_from_NJ

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #12 on: Mar 19, 2005, 10:08 AM »
Took my last 2005 ice fishing trip on Fri, 3/18.  The shore edges are getting hairy, and there's no more big shiners around.  I made it out 14 times this year, which is a  good #for me.
This is a great site, and I'm looking forward to returning next year and hearing from you all.   

Offline Tom_K_from_NJ

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #13 on: Mar 19, 2005, 08:50 PM »
Why am I still a "rookie" after 2 years and 65 posts?

Offline Pike Popper

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Mar 19, 2005, 09:18 PM »
I think your a rookie until you get like 100 posts........Depending on the weather tomorrow, Me and Mike will probably be making our last jersey trip up to Monksville. This ice will be gone very soon with this warmth and rain expected.

Offline Tom_K_from_NJ

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #15 on: Mar 19, 2005, 09:29 PM »
100?  Maybe I'll quit fishing and spend my time making posts on the internet.

Offline ecsteelheader

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Mar 20, 2005, 09:23 AM »
We got snow and hail ,,the ground is white again and theres guys fishing my lake,,2 guys yesterday caught 97 perch here,,they were real happy,,yum yum perch fillets ;D

Offline IceFireman

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #17 on: Mar 20, 2005, 07:15 PM »
I'm done, stuff went in the attic last weekend.  Bring on the warm weather and bring on bass fishing.
No I am not God, but yes I walk on water!

gonfishen

« Reply #18 on: Mar 20, 2005, 08:18 PM »
this was my first year ice fishing, I only went four times and was successful three of them.  I am done mostly because the ice around here is almost gone, after the rain today should be all gone.  Me and my dad are looken into taken a trip down to island beach state park for some surf fishen in a week or two.  Season has been short for me but it was fun, hope to see you guys out on the beaches, lakes or where ever theres fish ;D

Offline RJP

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #19 on: Mar 21, 2005, 07:35 AM »

We took our last trip to LH on Saturday - caught one catfish and a few bluegills on kastmasters tipped with meal worms.  Nothing on tip-ups.

Ready for the surf!!!!

Offline jiggingfoul

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Mar 21, 2005, 08:23 AM »
we finished up this weekend on lh.we fished river sticks on saturday and caught
aolt of big perch. i guess they are puching up to spawn.fished the deep water on
sunday and caught some really nice fish.my son had a 4lb striper & a smallmouth,
i had 2 4lb walleyes.webguy had a nice striper and some nice crappies and one
of the guys that was fishing close by got a big tiger musky.not alot of fish but
nice ones.

hey web,thaanks for showing chris the tricks of the trade,i guess i have to buy
them one know{lol}.

Offline Pike Popper

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Mar 21, 2005, 10:24 AM »
I thought I was gonna be done in Jersey yesterday but after how much ice there still is I'll keep on fishing. Might make it out to Monksville Wednesday/ and or Saturday. I don't think the rain will destroy it by this weekend. Then next weekend I will go to PA. I have been saying I would be fishing PA for a few weeks but this ice in Jersey hasn't melted too much up north yet.

Offline mark mercer

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • TEAM MERCER!!!
« Reply #22 on: Mar 21, 2005, 11:40 AM »
im done ive got school and stuff and waking up early in the am kinda sux, besides im lookin foward to trout fishing soon

Offline rowboater

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Mar 21, 2005, 11:49 AM »
I'm done.  Really enjoyed the ice this year, particularly when kids and novices came along. 

Offline ecsteelheader

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Mar 21, 2005, 07:00 PM »
this was my first year ice fishing, I only went four times and was successful three of them.  I am done mostly because the ice around here is almost gone, after the rain today should be all gone.  Me and my dad are looken into taken a trip down to island beach state park for some surf fishen in a week or two.  Season has been short for me but it was fun, hope to see you guys out on the beaches, lakes or where ever theres fish ;D

Yahooo surf fishing,were heading down this weekend to give it a shot..probaly be hitting the back bays unless i hear something good on the ocean side,,good luck to ya  and let me know how you did>))> :tipup:

Offline mark mercer

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • TEAM MERCER!!!
« Reply #25 on: Mar 21, 2005, 10:38 PM »
yea i enjoy the ocean myself ill hit that up a few times

Offline fishkopp

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Life's Short Fish Hard
« Reply #26 on: Mar 26, 2005, 07:37 AM »
I'm done , I'm glad to say I made it out Ice fishing 2 times this year , and I am getting the boat ready as we speak .

;D

I'll see you boyz on the water .

Mike  Kopp

Good fishing to all , and be safe on that thin ice ,ain't no fish worth dying for .
I think this hole's too small

MikeThePike

« Reply #27 on: Mar 26, 2005, 12:59 PM »
I'm pretty sure I'm done for this season. Went swimming on Monksville for the 2nd time this season and I gotta say, it was more pleasent in the end of March than in mid Feburary. Also helped it was at the shoreline and only knee deep.

I think I made it out well over 30 times and even though I didn't get any of the huge fish I was looking for it was a good season. Too bad we'll probably never see ice this long in NJ anytime soon.

Offline Pike Popper

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Mar 26, 2005, 01:22 PM »
Yeah I willn't be surprised if its years and years until we see ice as late as we did. This is the longest season I've seen and that goes for most of the other fishermen that have still been out as of late. It was a good season, but I can finally say I'm ready to put everything away. I barely have anything that works left. Our THREE augers have either broken or fell down the hole or have had something stupid happen to them and I barely have the legal amount of tip ups left that actually work. My homeade sled finally gave out yesterday after the whole season so I might as well get a new one of those too. Will be ready for next year though after I toss some stuff and replace it next winter.

MikeThePike

« Reply #29 on: Mar 26, 2005, 01:33 PM »
Well PP, the new drill assembly for the power auger will be here Wednesday so we'll have 1 auger that is still in working condition. As for your tip-ups, spend the money and buy good ones instead of using the $3 and $4 ones. Make sure you put some stronger line on the ones you'll be using at Monksville so you don't lose a huge musky like Yuri did earlier today.

I just got the hole covers for my heritage laker tip-ups today and they look great on them. Wish I could have gotten them yesterday so I could have used them this season to make sure they are set up right but I guess its better to start off fresh with them next season anyways.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.