Author Topic: Derby News !  (Read 10128 times)

Offline LoneWolf

• Iceshanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Fanatic! >))))>
Derby News !
« on: Dec 01, 2004, 06:57 PM »
All I'm going to say about this years derby at this time is .....

mark Feb. 5, 2005 on your calender !
Those who are brave are free ..

Offline RJP

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
Re: Derby News !
« Reply #1 on: Dec 02, 2004, 11:44 AM »

Done!!  Are we looking at Hopatcong agasin for this year?

Offline Reb

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • PLEEAASSE FREEZE !!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 03, 2004, 02:28 AM »
Lonewolf,
  If you keep this up your going to get a reputation of being a TEASE!!   LOL       ;D  ;)

Offline HaveAuger

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 03, 2004, 04:16 PM »
My wife is looking to take 1st place this upcoming derby  :flex:. She even stared at the winter gear for more then 5 seconds :bow: before closing the door the other day.

Offline Reb

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • PLEEAASSE FREEZE !!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 03, 2004, 06:21 PM »
Haveauger.
  Thats awesome maybe you made an ice addict out of her. I find once people get over the fear of drilling a hole in perfectly good ice,, they love icefishing

Offline HaveAuger

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #5 on: Dec 04, 2004, 09:04 AM »
REB,
     After the her family saw the cert. and pictures from '04 they were truly amazed and want to go :tipup:. So my bro-in-law and sista-in-law will be going too :clap:. I will be purchasing 2005 licenses for them for Christmas just to make sure they will go.

Offline Icephishnphreek

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I come from the land of Lizards
« Reply #6 on: Dec 04, 2004, 02:01 PM »
Count me in ;D. Come on cold weather..... :woot:

Offline Reb

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • PLEEAASSE FREEZE !!
« Reply #7 on: Dec 04, 2004, 03:01 PM »
Haveauger
  Thats great ,the more the merrier

Offline JigAwhopper

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • addicted to ICE
« Reply #8 on: Dec 09, 2004, 09:54 AM »
....I don't want to steal all the thunder from Lone Wolf,  but MOST LIKELY our next turney will again take place at Lake Hopatocong.  Some issues of parking space will still have to be adressed to accomodate the large crowd of participants.  Once that gets worked out,  we will hopefully get the final word I believe,  from the man himself   ;D

Offline Sub Zero

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got Ice?
« Reply #9 on: Dec 09, 2004, 11:17 AM »
I think maybe we should be praying for some cold weather because at this rate none of us are going anywhere! It's hard to make ice when it's 50oF during the day. :tipup:
People think we're crazy but we know better!

Offline Reb

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • PLEEAASSE FREEZE !!
« Reply #10 on: Dec 09, 2004, 06:13 PM »
Jig,
   Your gonna be in big trouble if you keep leaking information,,,  LMAO!!!!

Offline Reb

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • PLEEAASSE FREEZE !!
« Reply #11 on: Dec 09, 2004, 06:17 PM »
Sub Zero,

You need to have confidence in the weatherman.  They say it will be a colder then average winter and you know they are always right.. ::)

Offline JigAwhopper

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • addicted to ICE
« Reply #12 on: Dec 10, 2004, 02:36 PM »
sorry Reb,  me and my big mouth....I just could not help myself.....me bad  ;D.  I'll smooth things over with LoneWolf,  i figure,  buy him a bruski or something!

Offline fishkopp

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Life's Short Fish Hard
« Reply #13 on: Dec 28, 2004, 03:55 PM »
Got a simple request for the Derby , I think it would be a great idea to leave muskies out of the contest . They're so few and far between and we're trying to establish a trophy fishery and all.  I'll see all of you ice fishing nuts out on Hopatcong .

Mike K.
I think this hole's too small

Offline LoneWolf

• Iceshanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Dec 28, 2004, 04:51 PM »
That's been taken into consideration already. The fact that the fish has to be taken to a measuring station for an official measurement and with all the fine work the Knee Deep Club does we decided against Musky.
The official tourney with rules, location, etc. will be posted in about a week.

MikeThePike

« Reply #15 on: Dec 28, 2004, 06:16 PM »
Mike, from what I remember all the derbies/ tournies on Hopatcong advise against and don't accept entries for muskies. We all know what great work you've done with Muskies Inc. in creating a musky fishery here in NJ.

The only thing I'm wondering how in a few posts on the Muskies Inc board u guys seem to think of ice fisherman as the scum of the earth ( http://www.websitetoolbox.com/tool/mb/muskiesinc ), saying things such as how the new record state record musky should fall to a real musky fisherman and not an ice fisherman and so on, but yet you plan on competing in the ice derby??? I wonder how your fellow muskies members will respond?  ;)

Offline mark mercer

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • TEAM MERCER!!!
« Reply #16 on: Dec 28, 2004, 07:12 PM »
as for a "real muskie fisherman" all i have to say is id rather be lucky than good anyday, that guy was at the right place at the right time, also i believe that fish is the igfa record for a muskie through the ice

MikeThePike

« Reply #17 on: Dec 28, 2004, 08:44 PM »
I do believe the current NJ State Record Musky is also the current world record through the ice. I know I've read reports of muskies being taken up north (minnesota, wisconsin, canada, ect) of well over 45 pounds through the ice but released. Some people are out for the fight, the memories, ect and others are out to get that little certificate saying they've got the record.

Then again I talked to Bob last winter at Lake Hopatcong and he said thats the only musky he's kept in quite a few years of open water and ice fishing for them so I think the guys that bash him for keeping that fish don't take into account how many others hes caught and released in that time period.

Also, put yourself in his position at the time. Most people say they'd never keep a musky but if you've got 1 in your hands you know will shatter a current record your story may very well change. I know numerous times I said if I caught a fish over a certain size that I'd defiantly be taking it home and then catch that fish only to snap a few pics and let her go.

Offline mark mercer

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • TEAM MERCER!!!
« Reply #18 on: Dec 28, 2004, 10:35 PM »
believe me if i caught a state record it would be comin home, thats like my all time dream

Offline JigAwhopper

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • addicted to ICE
« Reply #19 on: Dec 29, 2004, 07:12 AM »
Ok,  let me just play a devil's advocate here for a second.  Musky guys and bass guys flip out when some bucket fisherman keeps the fish they admire so much,  like they committed some sacrilegous act.  Even though the fish is legal to keep and legal to kill.  So what?  In most cases they're artificially introduced to local lakes and the numbers are being supplemented with restocking programs.  It's like going deer hunting with the paintball gun; you can shoot the deer but can not kill it and eat it.  You're not harvesting, you're playing.  If I wanted to play,  I would joint a soccer team.  I also noticed that a lot of those 'old timers' who fished for musky,  did plenty of their own harvesting in the past.  Look at the old pictures of some of the In-Fisherman staff with stringers of bass, walleyes, and pike.  And shooting a musky with a gun at the boat side or whacking one with the club was a standard operating procedure.  Thirty years later they're preaching about ethics and CPR.
So let me be 'good' again and I have to profess that I rarely keep a bass and release all my  musky and practice selective harvest.  Why?   well,  the fish are a scarce resource in NJ with overcrowding and pollution not helping a bit.  And all the larger predator fish have unsafe levels of PCB and Mercury.  So I don't care if  someone keeps everything or throws it all back,  as long as they don't break the law.  As for the NJ tourney,  there will be no Musky entry.  We like to stay in line with KDC tradition off keeping those fish out of the competition and minimize mortality,  so the fishing for them will only get better in the future.                                         J

Offline fishkopp

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Life's Short Fish Hard
« Reply #20 on: Dec 29, 2004, 06:36 PM »
;D  Thats great news ,I'm glad to see there's no muskies in the derby . And yes Mike ,some of the MI guys are bitter about numbers of muskies being taken through the ice up in the monksville region .  I believe most guys are releasing there muskies ,but the problem lies with some of the smaller tackle shops up north , they have a big fish contest with some real cheap zebco combo prizes and some quality fish are paying the price. But they are fish not our children and yes if I caught the state record it's good as on the wall.  ::)   But far as fish mounts go ,the reproductions that are being produced are incredable. I've seen some bad re-pros but I've seen some great ones and there only a few bucks more then a actual mount and last a life time. I've got a 55.5 re-pro on order and can't wait till it comes in ,about 2 more months to go and $825 poorer and worth every red cent.

And yes I ice fish and can't wait to catch some tasty perch and maybe even a walleye or 2 for the pan . But I only keep what I'm going to eat . And I also plan to enter the derby ,team Kopp will be there weather (coldness)permitting .This boy don't go icefishing unless there's at least 6 inches (fell threw once ,it really sucked ) And as far as giving a damm as to what my fellow muskie fisherman or anybody else  thinks of me ,well I could care less . God knows I've done my share to help with NJ Fisherys and proud of it . I'm not some fishing eletist I'm just a multispecias fisherman and plan to drill some holes this year . I might not be the best icefisherman ,well actaully I'm pretty bad it but I'll learn ,just like I did muskies and everything else.

I'll see you on the ice

Mike Kopp

Hey Mike the Pike did you buy a boat yet?

8)

MikeThePike

« Reply #21 on: Dec 29, 2004, 07:47 PM »
Hey Mike,

I'll meet you out on Hopatcong for the derby. Will be nice to finally put a face to the name. (Where have I heard that before on this board? lol)

I am not sure which tackle shops are doing that because the only shop I know up that way is Franks and I know they don't do it. 

You get the 55.5 up north with Mark? I was hoping to make it up to there and fish on my own this fall but my plans fell through. Looking forward to doing it in the spring and then again in the fall though.

-MikeThePike

P.S. still no boat but been looking around for a good 14-16 foot aluminum deep v. Need to get my truck first which I should be getting hopefully pretty soon.

Offline LoneWolf

• Iceshanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Dec 29, 2004, 08:08 PM »
Mike (fishkopp) in the past the ice fishing contests held on Monksville were usually hosted by Monksville Sports Shop .... which is no longer in business. Every contest I attended Pete or Guy (of MSS) attended the weigh in station with a live release hole near by. You had the option of C&R or to keep your catch. Also it was a cash prize tourney.
As for our derby ... not having a Musky category was decided weeks ago during the last stage planning. Webguy, Reb and myself put alot of thought and hard work into the planning, categories, obtaining parking and getting sponsors. Hopefully the "ICE" will cooperate !  ;D

Offline jyoung

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Put em back their not yours!!!!!
« Reply #23 on: Dec 29, 2004, 08:17 PM »
Yes Mike the Pike some Musky fisherman would rather see the state record being caught by a Muskyfisherman rather than a Ice fisherman, I being one of them,You can't blame me for that.
And as for Musky fisherman being Ice fisherman I have been ice fishing longer than I've been musky fishing and enjoy a little catch and release over the winter.
Jeff
Today's Tip; Shut up and fish you big baby!!!
newjerseyhunter.com  sux

Offline fishkopp

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Life's Short Fish Hard
« Reply #24 on: Dec 29, 2004, 08:37 PM »
Lonewolf

Thanks for putting together a great contest.Many people don't realize all the work and time it takes to put a derby of this caliber together.

Mike K.

MikeThePike

« Reply #25 on: Dec 29, 2004, 10:01 PM »
Hey Jeff,

I don't blame you one bit for wanting to see the new state record come in open water rather than through the ice. I personally think the guys who are willing to freeze their a**es off rather than just sit home and wait for the ice to melt should be considered the "true Muskyfisherman" though.

Thats just my opinion.

Offline Pike Popper

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Dec 29, 2004, 10:07 PM »
Would any of you "true" muskyfisherman throw back a state record musky if you caught it through the ice? ( Since you don't want the record to come from an icefisherman)

Offline jyoung

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Put em back their not yours!!!!!
« Reply #27 on: Dec 29, 2004, 10:13 PM »
I would probably throw it back either way as I would hope you would, But that probably wouldn't happen, right
Jeff
Today's Tip; Shut up and fish you big baby!!!
newjerseyhunter.com  sux

Offline Pike Popper

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Dec 29, 2004, 10:19 PM »
You forgot the ? mark......didn't you?.............Yeah your right about that. I highly doubt that would happen

MikeThePike

« Reply #29 on: Dec 30, 2004, 04:43 AM »
On an unrelated note, either Mike or Jeff, could you guys look at the pics I posted from Budd Lake and let me know if the fish we got were pike or tiger muskies? Its hard to tell when they are so small.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.