The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Buying Panfish - UVM Research Project - Keeler Bay, LC  (Read 1663 times)

Offline benblock

• IceShanty Rookie
Hi everyone,

I need bluegill and pumpkinseed for a graduate research project through UVM that looks at the importance of winter feeding for the growth of game fishes. I would like to purchase fish from some of you to achieve my collection goals [I need about 50 fish per month of each species]. Importantly, fish need to be caught from Keeler Bay, Lake Champlain. I need individuals to represent a range of sizes, therefore, I will not pay per pound but rather per individual. Here are the prices I will pay for fish:

Pumpkinseeds (< 6"): $0.75/ per individual
Pumpkinseeds (> 6"): $0.50/ per individual

Bluegills (< 6"): $0.75/ per individual
Bluegills (> 6"): $0.50/ per individual

If you are interested in helping out, please contact me at [email protected] [do not PM me on iceshanty] and we can talk specifics.
Thank you,

Ben Block
Ph.D. Student
University of Vermont

Offline benblock

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Buying Panfish - UVM Research Project - Keeler Bay, LC
« Reply #1 on: Feb 18, 2019, 04:21 PM »
Anyone looking to earn a little extra cash for the panfish you catch?

Offline bootstrap

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 18, 2019, 04:44 PM »
i thought people would be jumping all over this. maybe you should change the location of the bay studied.

Offline Champlain Islander

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Feb 18, 2019, 05:14 PM »
The location is good once mid march comes. There will be lots of people on the inner part of Keelers when the flat fish come in. I am sure someone will provide him, with his research fish.
Taught ice fishing for pan fish by one of the best...Art Rye may he RIP

Offline stick eyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 18, 2019, 05:51 PM »
If you don't catch them yourself how will you be sure where they came from ? your study is already flawed  ;)

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Feb 18, 2019, 06:04 PM »
I am sure he will be interviewing interested people setting the rules. In reality one person who fishes flatfish every day could easily provide his sample over whatever time period he picks. His monthly sample most likely would be filled in a single day by one person.

Offline bowarrows

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 18, 2019, 10:45 PM »
Next time spell out what uvm is because university of vermont should be uvt! i know its latin now, so you dont need to tell me. lets face it i am pissed becasue southern new england does not get ice anymore. So if you dont see a problem you are in denial and think leaving the paris accord is a good idea.

Offline bootstrap

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 18, 2019, 10:56 PM »
Next time spell out what uvm is because university of vermont should be uvt! i know its latin now, so you dont need to tell me. lets face it i am pissed becasue southern new england does not get ice anymore. So if you dont see a problem you are in denial and think leaving the paris accord is a good idea.

oh boy...

like my grandmother said

it takes all kinds and we have got'em

Offline jbritch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 19, 2019, 05:56 AM »

December 1979 was not that long ago.

I attended a symposium at Lyndon State College, our weather college, and listened to Jim Lorentz, the man who coined the phrase, "The Butterfly Effect" and who showed without a shadow of a doubt that we have entered into an ice age.  If global warming was true, Al Gore would still be in business.

Our President Trump recognized correctly that the Paris Accords are a wealth distribution scheme invented at Rockefeller Institute in New York City.  You can look it up.

We are flying through space on a molten ball of liquid iron what has its own cycles all swirling around beneath our feet while circling around a massive nuclear bomb that has its own cycles of activity shooting flares at us.  Humans have a pusillanimous effect on our climate.  Climate change is real but did humans cause the glaciers to melt 10,000 years ago?  We're not causing it now either.  If so then we should take credit for increasing the ice on the west side of Antarctica that is more than the loss of ice on the east side.

Instead of being pissed that there's no regular ice in the south of New England, move to the north like our ancestors did.  They were simple but not stupid enough to sit in one spot and starve to death.

Offline troutcrazy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Feb 19, 2019, 06:06 AM »
That's ridiculous.

Offline jbritch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 19, 2019, 07:11 AM »
Prove it.

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Feb 19, 2019, 07:25 AM »
If you don't catch them yourself how will you be sure where they came from ? your study is already flawed  ;)

This ^^.

As far as climate change, I don’t think any of you know what you’re talking about.
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline mudchuck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Feb 19, 2019, 07:32 AM »
Oh Boy!

Offline jbritch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 19, 2019, 08:03 AM »
Again, prove it.  Everything I wrote is the truth.  I sure as heck didn't make up that Newsweek cover.  Any naysayer ever hear Jim Lorentz speak?  Have you seen graphs of his data and heard his prediction?  Would you tell him to his face that he's ridiculous? Before anyone gives Al Gore's carbon credit system any credence he ought to remember that humans are carbon-based life forms; indeed our very thoughts are the product of the arrangement of the carbon in our brains.  Some of us just have different arrangements than others, I guess.

Offline mudchuck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Feb 19, 2019, 08:09 AM »
Again, prove it.  Everything I wrote is the truth.  I sure as heck didn't make up that Newsweek cover.  Any naysayer ever hear Jim Lorentz speak?  Have you seen graphs of his data and heard his prediction?  Would you tell him to his face that he's ridiculous? Before anyone gives Al Gore's carbon credit system any credence he ought to remember that humans are carbon-based life forms; indeed our very thoughts are the product of the arrangement of the carbon in our brains.  Some of us just have different arrangements than others, I guess.

Not questioning you.
1. catch seeds/gills in keelers vs. elsewhere & not being truthful = flawed study
2. no ice southern NE.
3. Climate change in general...IMO it's a money scheme, no more no less...this planet has been going thru cycles & iterations long before humans were ever around and some give too much credit to the amount of impact humans have on the rock...heck the earth is still wobbling from the tsunami back in 2005 that took the earth slightly off axis.

Offline peteinvermont

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Feb 19, 2019, 09:25 AM »
The dude just wants to buy fish.  How did that turn into such a dumpster fire?  Who cares if his study is flawed?   

So far the dude came on here with an offer, and in return he rec'd:

1.  A scolding for not spelling out what UVM is. 
2.  A scolding because his study will be flawed.
3.  A complaint about southern New England not getting any ice.
4.  An argument about global warming. 

I never fish up there dude, but if I did, I'd be thrilled to sell you some fish and participate in a scientific academic study. 

Offline bowarrows

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Feb 19, 2019, 09:41 AM »
sorry for ruining this thread

Offline benblock

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Feb 19, 2019, 10:09 AM »
Well, I appreciate all the support.... and lessons?... I have received, haha.

Anyways, I assume that people interested will be truthful and willing to assist in a project that aims to understand what the fish in their local waterbodies are doing in the winter.

Also, I am not concerned with the other comments on this thread, I just need fish...

Thanks again,
-Ben

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6.
« Reply #18 on: Feb 19, 2019, 10:32 AM »
 :icefish: :icefish:
Champlain
Memphremagog

Offline jbritch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Feb 19, 2019, 02:03 PM »
Hey, Ben...

When I was a grad student at UVM my professor assigned a major project for each of us.  At the end of the class he approached me and gave me a set of data which, of course, was nothing but numbers in columns of walleyes that had been stunned and released in Lake Carmi; he didn't want to taint my Multivariate analysis.  I had to do some investigation of the incident in which all the farmers in that watershed had mowed their hay fields, spread their liquid manure, and then applied a weed killer for no-till corn planting just before a major rain event.  A girl scout troop was enlisted by their den mother to pick up the dead fish on the north beach (we call it the Bowling Alley beach) that had accumulated several fish deep over the entire length; maybe you've been there.  All the little girls wound up in the hospital; my daughter was the last to leave after 3 days.  Anyway, I was able to show that the little walleyes died and so did the big walleyes that ate the incapacitated little one and then died.  The ones in the middle, the slot keepers, were the only ones to survive.

I'm guessing you're doing something similar so good luck!

The debate over global warming always pops up every year; I get a kick out of kicking the bee's nest. It's a generational thing; us dinosaurs didn't receive that indoctrination programming...

Offline stick eyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Feb 19, 2019, 05:29 PM »
RyanW  such a tough keyboard warier ...

Offline Blockhouse Pt

• IceShanty Rookie
  • blockhouse pt
« Reply #21 on: Feb 20, 2019, 04:19 AM »
suggestion: visit Keeler Bay on a weekend off Levigne Road.....plenty of people fishing.,.... usually catching gills....buy directly on the ice.

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Feb 20, 2019, 04:59 AM »
suggestion: visit Keeler Bay on a weekend off Levigne Road.....plenty of people fishing.,.... usually catching gills....buy directly on the ice.
Great suggestion. Problem solved.

Offline stick eyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Feb 20, 2019, 06:20 AM »
now that's a good plan blockhouse.  problem solved and he will know where the fish came from

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.