The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Thank you VT Shanty  (Read 1098 times)

Offline pmaloney86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Thank you VT Shanty
« on: Feb 19, 2019, 04:10 PM »
Thank you to those who answered my questions on ice conditions and bait shops in the area.  I was up for the long weekend in South Hero.  We stopped at Dockside to see if he got bait back but no luck as of Friday so we headed to Bill Sporting Goods.  They had an array of bait from fatheads to pike bait.  I'm not sure if it is due to the states bait laws but VT bait is TINY.  The pike bait was more like heavy mediums in MA but the bait was not the issue.  We had an AirBnb east of Kibbe point so we decided to setup in front of our place.  I navigated my first pressure ridge, which was a non event once we saw wheelers driving over it, but still a little nerve racking the first trip across.  We setup tip ups from anywhere from 5 feet to 50 feet.  The only thing that we caught were perch.  On Saturday I'd guess that I caught close to 100 perch with the biggest approaching 12 inches.  The only other fish we "caught" was what I believe is an alewife.  It was belly up in one of our holes that I checked.  I put that out as bait as well as a half dozen smaller perch.  The weather was beautiful Saturday, I even ended up with a little sunburn, the perch kept us busy and Burlington kept us occupied outside of fishing.  Foam Brewers is quite possibly the best beer that I've ever had.  I'd take it over Alchemist, Tree House, Fiddlehead or whatever other craft beers you want to throw out there.  Solid weekend and I'll be back for the toothy critters or lakers soon enough.
westernmas on the finder

Offline dunphy11

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Thank you VT Shanty
« Reply #1 on: Feb 19, 2019, 04:21 PM »
oh yes Foam is good, so is Four Quarters........bonus fishing! Hope you hit Beverage Warehouse

Offline pmaloney86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 19, 2019, 04:29 PM »
oh yes Foam is good, so is Four Quarters........bonus fishing! Hope you hit Beverage Warehouse

I did not but there will be a next time.  I've never heard of Four Quarters.  I'll have to tell my ski bum friends to scoop some up if that are out that way.
westernmas on the finder

Offline Champlain Islander

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Feb 19, 2019, 04:43 PM »
Glad you had a good trip. Vermont has a lot of great things to see and do. That's why many of us live here. Come back soon perhaps the fishing will be better.
CI
Taught ice fishing for pan fish by one of the best...Art Rye may he RIP

Offline shiveringjoe

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Feb 19, 2019, 06:15 PM »
Sounds like a fun trip! I’ll give another vote to 4 quarters for best beer in VT. Foam is also very good and is a beautiful spot.

I did not but there will be a next time.  I've never heard of Four Quarters.  I'll have to tell my ski bum friends to scoop some up if that are out that way.

Offline peteinvermont

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 19, 2019, 06:49 PM »
You might even be able to "tend to" your tipups from Foam...

Offline mudchuck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Feb 20, 2019, 09:36 AM »
Foam is good, so is 4 qtrs.

Offline bootstrap

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 20, 2019, 10:01 AM »
i have been to foam a couple times. not a huge fan of sours or IPAs.

Offline pmaloney86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 20, 2019, 10:26 AM »
i have been to foam a couple times. not a huge fan of sours or IPAs.

I actually found a sour there, In Limbo, that I thoroughly enjoyed.  It was refreshing like drinking a soft drink or lemonade.  I can completely understand if it isn't your style.  My Bud Light drinking father can't comprehend how I like IPAs.  I'm usually a ML guy but like to mix it up.
westernmas on the finder

Offline Trout471

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 20, 2019, 11:54 AM »
I agree, we drove up from CT, this past weekend and had a great time, thanks to all the Vermonters you guys are awesome when it comes to helping out new people. that was our first trip to North hero I think we found a new winter tradition. the fishing was non stop tons of perch and missed a nice laker. what an awesome trip, thanks

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.