The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Tip Up Line  (Read 1127 times)

Offline DucksAndDogs

• Team IceShanty Regular
Tip Up Line
« on: Dec 26, 2017, 02:15 PM »
What are you guys using for your tip ups?  I just strung up 6 of them with 15lb dacron and realized I should have probably done a bit of research, first.

Most of them will be set out on Canyon Ferry and the ponds/reservoirs around Helena.  Might fish EGRA and Hyalite a bit, too.  Will certainly change them before heading out after pike.

Offline Buckammo

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Tip Up Line
« Reply #1 on: Dec 26, 2017, 02:39 PM »
My main line is 60-80lb braid from Amazon.  Usually pretty cheap stuff if you buy 1000m at a time.

Offline jms5580

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 26, 2017, 03:41 PM »
My main line is 60-80lb braid from Amazon.  Usually pretty cheap stuff if you buy 1000m at a time.

Second. Lasts a long, long time, cheap,  and it's very manageable. All you have to do is tie on your leader of choice.

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Dec 26, 2017, 03:55 PM »
Not saying this will work for you but all 30 something of my tip ups have Mason Line...  And some have the same line for 20 years or longer....
Comes in big spools and all different colors pretty cheep at Lowe's or home depot.  just my opinion..
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline DucksAndDogs

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 26, 2017, 04:01 PM »
So did I completely screw myself by buying and using this 15lb stuff from Celsius?

Offline Born Late

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Dec 26, 2017, 04:11 PM »
So did I completely screw myself by buying and using this 15lb stuff from Celsius?

Not for the waterbodies you listed.
YOU are the only one who can decide if the ice is safe enough for you.

Offline G fish

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Wish i was a fishing(Too slim n the traildragers)
« Reply #6 on: Dec 26, 2017, 05:48 PM »
30# Cabela's  prestige dacron,  white with green stripes.

50# HT Polar ice braided dacron, black, gold, red.

here are the two that I use mostly for pike and lake trout.

with a 15# dacron you will be fine, pike roam the waters of Cannon ferry so keep that in mind.
Team Ripp'n lips.
"Drink a little"
"Save a little"
"There will always be a Little".

Offline Tylertru4

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 27, 2017, 08:17 PM »
15 lb climatax braided line is only $2.98 for a 50 yd spool at sportsman’s and works great.

Offline buckfever

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 01, 2018, 08:55 PM »
You will be fine for trout, walleye in the lakes you are fishing around Helena. If you go for pike, I use heavy braided 30-50lb dacron and then tie a barrel swivel to add a leader on. You can use the dacron for anything and leave it on, then attach a minimum of 3’ leader in the strength appropriate for the fish u plan to catch. The heavy dacron also helps for strong fish burning line against the ice. I’ve had large pike run and burn it through ice and either get stuck or break off.

Offline Smelt Soaker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 02, 2018, 11:09 AM »
I use 50 lb Dacron that I bought a 1000yd spool of for fairly cheap on amazon. I also run about a 3 ft leader of surflon wire or 50 lb flouro for pike.

Offline sra61

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 02, 2018, 12:56 PM »
I only use the 30 or 50 lb. sufix braided, coated line on my tip ups now. And I only use 50' on each spool too. A bunch of line makes for more messes than caught fish. Uncoated line freezes so bad when you pull it out in cold weather. The coated line doesn't tangle and get knotted.

Offline vicster

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 02, 2018, 06:52 PM »
I also splice in a 30-40 ft section of vinyl tip up line on the end of mine.  It's thick but it will not soak up water and will not freeze, plus it does not knot up very easily and you can get them out when it happens.  Braided line tends to cinch down quick and once it's set good luck getting it off.  I fill out the rest of the spool with 40 lb braided dacron so I have enough line to handle a big fish.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.