The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Tipups for trout and walleye  (Read 867 times)

Offline MT Tag Filler

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • When the tags are filled you can bet Im on the ice
Tipups for trout and walleye
« on: Jan 23, 2017, 04:29 PM »
Thinking about getting into the tipup world of ice fishing rather than relying on my two rods. I mainly fish for trout, but was wondering what I would spool my tip ups with to be effective for both trout and the elusive walleye that may hang on long enough to pull through the hole. Let me know what you guys think!

Offline Fortpeck1

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Tipups for trout and walleye
« Reply #1 on: Jan 23, 2017, 04:51 PM »
I use Dacron line with fluorocarbon leader.
40 lb Dacron,  20-30 lb fluorocarbon.
Works for me.
Peck

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #2 on: Jan 23, 2017, 05:24 PM »
Been using 50# flourocarbon, flags have been tipping.

Offline vicster

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 23, 2017, 06:15 PM »
I'll run down to 10-12 lb floro if I'm not worried about pike.  For trout lighter would help, but as stated heavier floro works well for walleye when toothy critters are a issue.  I haven't had issues with 25 lb thru the ice, but I did have a couple bite offs pulling streamers for pike open water.  I went to a single strand titanium and I think it would work well also... haven't tried it on eyes since I haven't had a chance to chase them this year but it's super thin and 100% bite proof, plus it will knot kink after a fish or two.  Spendy though.

Offline Born Late

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 24, 2017, 12:42 PM »
I'll run down to 10-12 lb floro if I'm not worried about pike.  For trout lighter would help, but as stated heavier floro works well for walleye when toothy critters are a issue.
x2    If I were to fish Peck or Tiber often, I'd gear up with heavier line and leaders.  However, my experience has been the heavier the line and leader, the more likely a walleye is to drop the bait.  The happy medium is to go heavy on the line and size the leader to the waterbody.

Hopefully you're getting ideas from this as well: http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=342247.0
YOU are the only one who can decide if the ice is safe enough for you.

Offline polarfsrmn

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 25, 2017, 06:59 AM »
One thing I have experienced where trout and walleyes exist and the use of live minnows is permitted such as Tiber where I have experinced the issue of trout spooling all the line on your tipups. so you might keep this in mind and fill your tipup spools.

Offline MT Tag Filler

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • When the tags are filled you can bet Im on the ice
« Reply #6 on: Jan 25, 2017, 10:05 AM »
Thanks for all the tips guys! I think I figured it out after doing a lot of research. Now I just need to find some tipups around here! Every store is sold out of course. Once I find some then I will head out to the ice to give them a try!

Offline fieds

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 25, 2017, 07:05 PM »
I've used beaver dam tipups for 25 years, the best made in my opinion, the only reason i'm not still running the first ones I bought is they were stolen...grrrrrrr. The spools aren't the largest when thinking of lake trout in deep water as we don't have that kind of fishery in MN.  Best advice on line is to use the nylon coated.....any non-coated line is just a windknot, line freezing mess. the more line a fish takes the more problems a guy has pulling in the line, respooling up.

fieds

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.