The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Cleats/spikes  (Read 1855 times)

Offline thinandgreasy

• IceShanty Rookie
Cleats/spikes
« on: Jan 12, 2016, 06:34 PM »
I'm in the market for new cleats/spikes.  What's everyone using these days. 

Offline MTsGrumpyIceMan

• IceShanty Rookie
  • JC
Re: Cleats/spikes
« Reply #1 on: Jan 12, 2016, 06:38 PM »
I have heard/read that these Icetrekkers are quite the set of cleats, little spendy but better than a Dr. bill....that ice doesn't get any softer as one gets older lol

http://www.sportsmanswarehouse.com/sportsmans/mobile/ICEtrekkers-Diamond-Grip/productDetail/Ice-Cleats/prod99990133521/cat101637

:Ice fishing, because staying warm is for pansies.☃
:Ice fisherman can walk on water, beat that.😉
:Ice fishing, only the strong or the clinically insane survive.😜
:When Hell freezes over....I'll ice fish there too!🎣😈
🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #2 on: Jan 12, 2016, 08:17 PM »
Kahtoolas!!!

Offline bdubinmt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 12, 2016, 08:36 PM »
A friend of mine came up with a great invention take some over shoes purchased from any ranch and home store and screw sheet metal screws through them from the inside so they stick out the bottom. They work awesome don't fall off while running and are easy to slip on!!

Offline Krakkon

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 12, 2016, 08:50 PM »

Offline Ketchnrelease

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 12, 2016, 08:55 PM »

Offline TooLucky406

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 12, 2016, 09:32 PM »
Prefer Hillsound Trail Crampon Ultra. More spikes, better heel position, and strap over the boot for less slipped off.

Offline heysharkie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 12, 2016, 10:03 PM »
I love my Kahtoolas

Offline Born Late

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 12, 2016, 10:17 PM »
I have tried StableIcers, IceTrekkers, Kahtoolas and a couple of others but I prefer screwed-in hobnails over any of the slip-on traction devices.
YOU are the only one who can decide if the ice is safe enough for you.

Offline Slayin4life

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 13, 2016, 02:23 PM »
Kahtoolas
Give a man a fish, and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he'll buy Pete's Tackle!

Offline pmmpete

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 13, 2016, 04:10 PM »
If you have more than one size of boots which you use for ice fishing, you may want to stick to some of the cheaper brands of crampons.  I have a pair of great big insulated boots which I use when it's real cold and there isn't any slush on the ice, and I have a pair of insulated rubber knee boots which I use when there's a lot of slush on the ice.  I can't use the same crampons on both pairs of boots, and haven't felt like buying two $65 pairs of crampons .

Many kinds of crampons are made out of stretchy rubber which grabs the sides of your boots, but can be stripped off your boots by heavy or crusty snow, and be lost or left behind.  If you have one of those kinds of crampons, add a cord which clips around your ankle to the crampons, so if the crampons come off your boots, they'll stay attached to you.

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 13, 2016, 11:14 PM »
I've used numerous spikes over the years and have settled upon Kahtoola's microspikes. Other guys I've fished with have since switched over too. Don't skimp on your footwear.

Offline The Rezerend

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 14, 2016, 08:31 AM »
Hillsound Freestep 6. Buddy has the Microspike and the only real difference the spikes on the Hillsounds are a little smaller. other than that you'd guess they were the same. Plus the Hillsound's are about 20 bucks cheaper. Got mine on sale for $30. No issues with them falling off the mucks yet.
A bad day fishing is better than a good day working.

Offline beastmode

• IceShanty Rookie
  • FortPeckaholic
« Reply #14 on: Jan 14, 2016, 08:49 AM »
I used to use creepers, hands down the best ever!but they do not make them anymore. I use korkers now and l am more then happy.

Offline beastmode

• IceShanty Rookie
  • FortPeckaholic
« Reply #15 on: Jan 14, 2016, 08:58 AM »
I should say korkers extreme ice cleats, not the rubber pull on ones.

Offline heine

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 14, 2016, 11:54 AM »
I should say korkers extreme ice cleats, not the rubber pull on ones.
did you see the new boot they came out with this year? It's called the icejack, it has interchangeable bottoms with metal cleats built right into them, 600g thinsulate too so they will keep the tootsies warm too!

Offline chumley

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 14, 2016, 03:16 PM »
My recommendation is:

1.  Don't buy anything with chains or wires.  They will fall apart over time.

2.  Don't buy anything that affixes to your boot with stretching rubber.  The rubber will eventually break.

I have had the same cleats now for the last 15 years.  Can't remember what brand they are. Before that, I went through several pair of the ones with chains and stretchy rubber.

The ones I have now, they have a snap-on strap that is a pain to snap in, but they work great.  The cleats are very sharp and works in every condition.

The screw in screw option seems okay, but that would entail swapping your boots on and off when your truck arrives at the lake. Too much hassle for me, I put on my boots when I get out of bed in the morning and take them off when I get home.  I know the old gal at the Silos store really likes customers who walk in wearing their cleats. ;D

Offline mtjim66

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 14, 2016, 03:25 PM »
Anself 2x12 teeth crampons - knockoffs of the Kahtoola micropikes.  They are probably made in the same factory as the Kahtoola (I have both and cannot tell the difference) and are less than $20 on Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Anself-Crampons-Non-slip-Stainless-Climbing/dp/B00O0HRTU8/ref=sr_1_1?s=outdoor-recreation&ie=UTF8&qid=1452806493&sr=1-1&keywords=anself+crampons

In the beginning, God created the heavens and the Earth; and it was good.  A couple of days later God created the fish, animals and the birds, which was also good.  An indeterminate time later, the US Congress created the endangered species act, and things have never been the same since.

Offline Born Late

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Jan 14, 2016, 03:30 PM »
...that would entail swapping your boots on and off when your truck arrives at the lake.

No kidding.  I'm so exhausted after putting on my boots that I need to sit down...and fish.  ;D

YOU are the only one who can decide if the ice is safe enough for you.

Offline Maddog

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Jan 14, 2016, 03:32 PM »
My recommendation is:

1.  Don't buy anything with chains or wires.  They will fall apart over time.

2.  Don't buy anything that affixes to your boot with stretching rubber.  The rubber will eventually break.

I have had the same cleats now for the last 15 years.  Can't remember what brand they are. Before that, I went through several pair of the ones with chains and stretchy rubber.

The ones I have now, they have a snap-on strap that is a pain to snap in, but they work great.  The cleats are very sharp and works in every condition.

The screw in screw option seems okay, but that would entail swapping your boots on and off when your truck arrives at the lake. Too much hassle for me, I put on my boots when I get out of bed in the morning and take them off when I get home.  I know the old gal at the Silos store really likes customers who walk in wearing their cleats. ;D
I have had Kahtoola Microspikes for about 5yrs now and wear them 4-5 times a week during the ice season. They have chains and rubber that fit over my boots.

Offline beastmode

• IceShanty Rookie
  • FortPeckaholic
« Reply #21 on: Jan 14, 2016, 08:51 PM »
did you see the new boot they came out with this year? It's called the icejack, it has interchangeable bottoms with metal cleats built right into them, 600g thinsulate too so they will keep the tootsies warm too!
no I'll have to check them out, thanks for the info

Offline lipripr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Jan 14, 2016, 09:17 PM »
Korkers Rocktrax Plus. A little pricey (89.99), but after buying a couple pair of the cheap rubber pull ons per year, I'm money ahead now. An online dealer offered free shipping when I purchased mine vs. $20 shipping from Korkers.

Offline beastmode

• IceShanty Rookie
  • FortPeckaholic
« Reply #23 on: Jan 15, 2016, 09:09 AM »
Yea mine might be the rocktrax seems like I remember paying around 100 bucks a few years back for them but well worth it.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.