The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: New License and Regs  (Read 2808 times)

Tinker

New License and Regs
« on: Feb 28, 2012, 11:08 AM »
Don't forget you will need a new license come Thursday!  I also see you no longer need a warm water stamp, whooo hooo.  And did you see the cover photo this year?  Thats just beautifull  ;)

Offline bquick

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: New License and Regs
« Reply #1 on: Feb 28, 2012, 06:39 PM »
Thanks for the heads up

Offline MatCat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Mar 01, 2012, 10:18 AM »
I saw that the warm water stamp is no longer required, although they still take donations for the Fort Peck hatchery on the fwp website or through license providers.  I kind of wish they still required the fee, it was for a good cause, they stock many Montana lakes with the walleye that come out of that hatchery, and I'm sure without the fee the hatchery quality will decrease.  I'm sure many will see this as an opportunity to save 5 bucks, but is it not worth it to invest in the continued growth of the hatchery and walleye fishing in Montana?  I also understand that an argument has been made that the trout hatcheries didn't have a special stamp to fund them, but how many trout hatcheries do we have in the state, including the Fort Peck hatchery, which was the only walleye hatchery.

Offline Ketchnrelease

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Mar 01, 2012, 12:32 PM »
which was the only walleye hatchery.

I believe Walleye are also hatched in Miles City, but still a good point.

Offline Robbi

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Mar 01, 2012, 03:54 PM »
I would've liked to see them keep the 5 dollar stamp......but, make it a trout AND warm water stamp so that it wasn't all on one segment of the fishing population.......

Offline JayHelfrich

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • My kids can out fish you!
« Reply #5 on: Mar 01, 2012, 07:19 PM »
I would've liked to see them keep the 5 dollar stamp......but, make it a trout AND warm water stamp so that it wasn't all on one segment of the fishing population.......

The stamp was to fund the warm water hatchery @ Fort Peck as a warm water hatchery only (with the exception of the king salmon for planting into Fort Peck) and the only way to do it was to have added money (because no trout were being hatched there) to keep it a warm water hatchery.  The hatchery was found to be working at such a minimized capacity that it was decided to make it an all species hatchery and open it up to additional funding and use the facility to its true potential.

Jay
Take a kid fishing.

Kids that hunt, fish, and trap don't rob anyone's grandma!

Offline Cornbread

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Mar 01, 2012, 07:51 PM »
The stamp was to fund the warm water hatchery @ Fort Peck as a warm water hatchery only (with the exception of the king salmon for planting into Fort Peck) and the only way to do it was to have added money (because no trout were being hatched there) to keep it a warm water hatchery.  The hatchery was found to be working at such a minimized capacity that it was decided to make it an all species hatchery and open it up to additional funding and use the facility to its true potential.

Jay

Even as an all species hatchery I would still be willing to kick an extra five bucks to it each year to keep the quality high. If they have no trouble funding it I am happy to save the five bucks though.

Offline montanaguy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Mar 01, 2012, 08:47 PM »
Was involved in some of the original bids on the hatchery. Interesting. Best way to see it operated to the highest level of potential  would be to turn it over to Walleyes Unlimited.

Offline JayHelfrich

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • My kids can out fish you!
« Reply #8 on: Mar 02, 2012, 02:50 AM »
Even as an all species hatchery I would still be willing to kick an extra five bucks to it each year to keep the quality high. If they have no trouble funding it I am happy to save the five bucks though.

My wife and I still kicked $5 each to the donation fund.  It's worth it.

Jay
Take a kid fishing.

Kids that hunt, fish, and trap don't rob anyone's grandma!

Offline Robbi

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Mar 02, 2012, 08:57 AM »
My wife and I still kicked $5 each to the donation fund.  It's worth it.

Jay

And I guess that was my point up there Jay.......I do think it's worth it and don't mind paying $5 more for my license for the cause........I'm pretty sure that a fishing license is the cheapest entertainment you can get for a year......Hell one movie night costs more than a license.......One walleye dinner costs more.....LOL....

And Montanaguy.......that's a good point......

Offline fishinwithbrittanies

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Mar 02, 2012, 09:30 AM »
Yeah, I don't know.  I hated the warm water stamp personally.  Just one extra thing to worry about.  If it's extra money they needed then raise the price of every fishing license by .50 or a dollar.  Then they get a little bit of money from everyone instead of 5 bucks from the people who need the stamp. 
Its better to have hooked and lost than to have never hooked at all - J.B.

*WARNING*  This man fishes with dogs off leash

Offline mt.perchman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • big perch hunter !
« Reply #11 on: Mar 02, 2012, 12:25 PM »
thanks for the licence heads up . learned a big lesson couple of years ago on nevada cr. i called for my fine and she said mm looks like 135.00 to 1000.00 could you pay 135.00 i said yes mam !!!!!!!! i  dont forget any more . ::) ::) ::)
Dreaming of a full bucket.

Offline nic

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Mar 02, 2012, 09:02 PM »
just spent $103.50 @ FWP today.. sportsman w/bear.. bow & arrow..and upper missouri paddlefish tag!! dont think another $5.00 would have bothered me one bit..

Offline .45-75WCF

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Mar 03, 2012, 09:09 AM »
I used up the last of my expensive fishing licenses last week-end at Georgetown.  From now on, they'll run me $8.00 a year and campgrounds are half price........WOOO-HOOO!!!!!!!!  I guess in some cases, it does pay to be an old fart.

Offline flylinemt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Mar 03, 2012, 11:43 PM »
I fish 85% of the year trout fishing weather it be ice fishing or fly fishing , the other 15% warm water fishing. Out of that 15% I have some pretty quality days. I am more than happy to pay an extra  $10.00 bucks for my wife & I contribution. Raising my income & property taxs, that I have a problem with.

Offline Robbi

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Mar 03, 2012, 11:53 PM »
"Raising my income & property taxs, that I have a problem with."

Amen Brother...........

Offline bquick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Mar 04, 2012, 10:31 PM »
"Raising my income & property taxs, that I have a problem with."

Amen Brother...........

Especially when they want to privatize the public school system.  Since that is the biggest chunk of my property taxes then I will be looking for a HUGE drop in what I have to pay when that happens!  lol

Offline PerchAssault

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Established 2006
« Reply #17 on: Mar 06, 2012, 07:24 AM »
There are actually two warm water donation opportunities, one designated just for Peck, and another "general" one :-\.  Was so confused I did $5 to each one...

If I\'m not fishing, I\'m probably thinking about fishing...And if I\'m thinking about fishing, I\'m probably not getting much else done so, I might as well go fishing...Yeah, I just said that!

Offline MatCat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Mar 06, 2012, 04:41 PM »
I was wondering how long ago it changed from one pole to two during open water season in the western district?  I know several years ago it was one pole only.  Just curious.

Offline Cornbread

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Mar 06, 2012, 06:43 PM »
I was wondering how long ago it changed from one pole to two during open water season in the western district?  I know several years ago it was one pole only.  Just curious.

Last year was two poles. Not sure about before that because up until last year I assumed one and then I saw that so last year a few times I put a line on a bobber out the back of the boat witha smelt while I was casting for pike.

Offline Neptune

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "The Kokanee Killers"
« Reply #20 on: Mar 07, 2012, 10:58 AM »
Its been two poles on lakes in the western district for 5 or 6 years now...

The Peck hatchery has been run since its opening at about 20% of capacity.  I toured it back in 2008 and was amazed at all the empty weirs.  I think utilizing the entire Hatchery will benefit all species. 

Offline Quantoson

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • no fish is too big
« Reply #21 on: Mar 07, 2012, 04:29 PM »
Just got back in town today and tomorrow is lic buying day.  I guess I may give the 5 bucks up for the cause.
wish you many hook-ups

Offline nic

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Mar 09, 2012, 06:34 PM »
dont forget everyone!! March 15 is deadline to apply for mule deer buck and bull elk tags in certain hunting districts that require permit

Offline adam_mcd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Mar 09, 2012, 07:22 PM »
dont forget everyone!! March 15 is deadline to apply for mule deer buck and bull elk tags in certain hunting districts that require permit

Come on nic, I'm hoping about 9000 people forget to put in for the Elkhorns this year.  Trying to up my odds.

Offline nic

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Mar 10, 2012, 09:57 PM »
haha me to but the Haaahahaaa..chew..mtns ...??

Tinker

« Reply #25 on: Mar 12, 2012, 09:43 PM »
Oh, Nic please don't do that  :'(  For the past couple years now I always ask folks I now that hunt if they put in for any tags, of course I do this the day after the deadline to apply ;D

Offline curdog

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Mar 12, 2012, 09:51 PM »
i did not forget about the tags but was thinking it could be my year too

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.